Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 5,765 times

Advertisements

I have an interview scheduled at the Goldman HQ : 200 West Street, New York, NY 10282 2 weeks from now. They said that they will send directions and confirmations. I am new to NJ and stay in Piscataway. If I have to do the commute, wondering, where should I board the train ?Metuchen or Princeton ? What is the best option to reach that office from NJ ? Please let me know the exact switches also I would have to make. Going by this forum, it looks like I have to take a train Newark-Penn, switch then goto Grand . It would be good if someone can let me know the best train\bus option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:06 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Whoever gave you that travel advice must have wanted to make you waste an incredible amount of time and effort.

Yes, you could take the NE Corridor line to Grand Central, but...why would you want to drive 25 miles south, in order to board the train in Princeton before traveling north on that train? This really makes no sense, at least in my opinion.

Yes, you could board the NE Corridor line at Edison, get off at NY Penn Station, and then walk crosstown to take a subway to Grand Central (or take 2 subways from Penn Station to Grand Central), but once again, you are adding needless miles and time to your journey--especially since Grand Central is located in Midtown--on the East Side, and your destination is in lower Manhattan on the West Side, meaning that you would then have to take a subway sothbound from Grand Central to lower Manhattan.

In other words, the route that was recommended to you involves going north and then east in Manhattan before you head south in Manhattan. Does that sound efficient to you?

We don't really know exactly where in Piscataway you are located, but--more than likely--the most direct route would be to take a NJ Transit Raritan Valley line train from Dunellen to Newark Penn Station. From Newark Penn, take the PATH train to the World Trade Center stop in lower Manhattan. From PATH's WTC station, the walk to your destination is probably about 8 blocks.

The route that you mentioned would add many miles to your trip in NJ, and then add more miles once you are in NYC, and would take considerably more time than the route that I described.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Whoever gave you that travel advice must have wanted to make you waste an incredible amount of time and effort.

Yes, you could take the NE Corridor line to Grand Central, but...why would you want to drive 25 miles south, in order to board the train in Princeton before traveling north on that train? This really makes no sense, at least in my opinion.

Yes, you could board the NE Corridor line at Edison, get off at NY Penn Station, and then walk crosstown to take a subway to Grand Central (or take 2 subways from Penn Station to Grand Central), but once again, you are adding needless miles and time to your journey--especially since Grand Central is located in Midtown--on the East Side, and your destination is in lower Manhattan on the West Side, meaning that you would then have to take a subway sothbound from Grand Central to lower Manhattan.

In other words, the route that was recommended to you involves going north and then east in Manhattan before you head south in Manhattan. Does that sound efficient to you?

We don't really know exactly where in Piscataway you are located, but--more than likely--the most direct route would be to take a NJ Transit Raritan Valley line train from Dunellen to Newark Penn Station. From Newark Penn, take the PATH train to the World Trade Center stop in lower Manhattan. From PATH's WTC station, the walk to your destination is probably about 8 blocks.

The route that you mentioned would add many miles to your trip in NJ, and then add more miles once you are in NYC, and would take considerably more time than the route that I described.

Thanks for quick reply. No one recommended me the route. That's the best info I can find in any of the forum. I stay on River road, close to I-287 Exit 9 in Piscataway. So I guess this should be my travel : Dunellen\Metuchen\Princeton to Newark Penn. Newark Penn --->WTC . WTC ..walk few feet. By the way I keep saying Princeton because I know there is direct express train to Newark Penn. I dont know which station is closest\best for me considering the fact that there is no express train to Newark from other stations. I also dont know what difference a non-stop train would make. My neighbor guessed the closest station is Metuchen.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1987 View Post
Thanks for quick reply. No one recommended me the route. That's the best info I can find in any of the forum. I stay on River road, close to I-287 Exit 9 in Piscataway. So I guess this should be my travel : Dunellen\Metuchen\Princeton to Newark Penn. Newark Penn --->WTC . WTC ..walk few feet.

No, you are missing the point, so please allow me to be more specific.
NJ Transit has several lines.
One of them is the NE Corridor line, which runs through Princeton, New Brunswick, Metuchen, Edison, etc.
That line doesn't make much sense, based on your starting point.

The line which would be MUCH more direct for you would be NJ Transit's Raritan Valley line.
This line does not go through Metuchen or Princeton or Edison, and is a direct route (after several stops) to Newark Penn, from which you can take the PATH train directly to the WTC station.

I strongly suggest that you go to NJ Transit's website, where you can view a map of the various routes and can use their Trip Planner.

Compare the Raritan Valley line to the NE Corridor line on this map, and you should have a better idea of what I am talking about:
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
By the way I keep saying Princeton because I know there is direct express train to Newark Penn.
Even with a direct express train from Princeton to Newark Penn, you will wind up taking a HUGE amount of extra time in the long run by driving SOUTH for...probably...about 40 minutes in order to drive from Piscataway to Princeton. Does that make sense to you, when your destination is to the northeast from Piscataway?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
No, you are missing the point, so please allow me to be more specific.
NJ Transit has several lines.
One of them is the NE Corridor line, which runs through Princeton, New Brunswick, Metuchen, Edison, etc.
That line doesn't make much sense, based on your starting point.

The line which would be MUCH more direct for you would be NJ Transit's Raritan Valley line.
This line does not go through Metuchen or Princeton or Edison, and is a direct route (after several stops) to Newark Penn, from which you can take the PATH train directly to the WTC station.

I strongly suggest that you go to NJ Transit's website, where you can view a map of the various routes and can use their Trip Planner.

Compare the Raritan Valley line to the NE Corridor line on this map, and you should have a better idea of what I am talking about:
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Ok. I will try giving a mock trip from Dunellen\Plainfield. And I am not gonna quote you .So no worries. Both NE Corridor and Raritan are same for me as I am used to use car for commute to work .I am from Indiana. By the way do we need to have some special pass for that "PATH" transit you mentioned . Just curious.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Even with a direct express train from Princeton to Newark Penn, you will wind up taking a HUGE amount of extra time in the long run by driving SOUTH for...probably...about 40 minutes in order to drive from Piscataway to Princeton. Does that make sense to you, when your destination is to the northeast from Piscataway?

Oops sorry. I was under the impression that Princeton is 15 miles from Piscataway. I aint expert in calculating time trade-offs here. So I will check the schedule at Dunellen and come back to you for help. I guess Princeton is popular because it has got good schooling rating and good place to settle I guess. Thats why its popular in forums I believe. I dont know which place in NJ is the best to live if we are working in NY.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 PM

378 posts, read 586,686 times
Quote:
I am from Indiana.
Ha! I would have guessed India!

Don't worry, GS never met an Indian they didn't like.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
There are trains that go directly from New Brunswick to Newark as well. Depending on where in Piscataway you are, that might be your best option.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
OP, once you figure out which line and station to use, the rest is easy. I can see the GS building from my office.

At Newark Penn, you will catch PATH usually across the same platform that you will be on when you get off the NJ Transit train. Only once was it not the case since I've been going through Newark.

When you get to the WTC station and go outside, you will be on Vesey Street. Turn left and walk to the end of the block. 200 West is across the street.

Good luck on the interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey