Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 08:11 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,183 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone -
I'm looking to crowdsource ideas of places to visit for 3 day weekend trips by car. I live in Jersey city and would like driving to be max 3 hour drive. I grew up and worked in NY/NJ so I've visited lot of commonly mentioned places so kind of running out of ideas to go for short breaks. Would love to hear suggestions from the community! I look forward to hearing your wonderful ideas.

Distance
3 hr driving from Manhattan

Visited
Atlantic City, NJ
Beacon, NY
Cold Spring, NY
Cape May, NJ
Fire Island, NY
Frenchtown, NJ
Hudson, NY
Long Branch, NJ
Montauk, NY
Mystic, CT
New Hope, PA / Lambertsville, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Red bank, NJ

Not visited / Suggestions
Adamstown, PA
Millerton, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,201 times
Much depends on what kind of activities you enjoy. But a few ideas:

Washington DC
Baltimore MD
Lancaster PA
Poconos PA
Hershey PA

Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 PM

63 posts, read 115,940 times
Sugar loaf,N.Y.
New Jersey light houses

Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 PM

286 posts, read 851,007 times
New Palz, NY - plenty of hiking especially around Mowhonk house and it's a college town
Woodstock, NY - artsy hippie town.
Poconos, PA- plenty of state parks,
Bushkills Falls, PA - Located in poconos, pa. Park has many beautiful water falls to hike to
Camelback mountain is a water park during the summer
Catskills, NY - similar to the Poconos
Pine Barrens, NJ
Lancaster, PA - Amish country. Get the shoo fly pie.
Howe cavern in Howes Cave, N.Y. - Never been there but it is a cave to explore.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
How about the Lake George area? I've never been, but a family friend has a house up there and she says it's great in the fall and winter, and of course in the summer. May be closer to 3.5 or 4 hours, depending on traffic, but apparently very worth it. My family friends used to live in Union County, now moved to Ocean, and go up there for long weekends all the time.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,156 times
Yeah, I'm leaving for fives days down @ LBI hanging out and then with friends in Brigantine, and some friends in Island Park, I must say, we were down Seaside Park two weeks ago for a little R/R during the week and we had soo much fun, the surf was perfect, the beach was very clean and the crowds and bennies were few and far in between, the parking lot on the beach had five cars in it at 9:30 am on Wednesday morning, ,no riff raft just nothing but fun and peace and quite, I can't believe how much better Seaside Park as become since Sandy, it's fun again without absolutely no hassles, can you imagine? BEAUTIFUL. I kid you not, peace-

Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Yeah, I'm leaving for fives days down @ LBI hanging out and then with friends in Brigantine, and some friends in Island Park, I must say, we were down Seaside Park two weeks ago for a little R/R during the week and we had soo much fun, the surf was perfect, the beach was very clean and the crowds and bennies were few and far in between, the parking lot on the beach had five cars in it at 9:30 am on Wednesday morning, ,no riff raft just nothing but fun and peace and quite, I can't believe how much better Seaside Park as become since Sandy, it's fun again without absolutely no hassles, can you imagine? BEAUTIFUL. I kid you not, peace-
Are you sure you're not talking about Seaside Heights? IMO Seaside Park has always been great, before and after Sandy. It actually barely had Sandy damage because there are dunes. Most of the damage was on the bay side and came from the bay itself.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:19 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Are you sure you're not talking about Seaside Heights? IMO Seaside Park has always been great, before and after Sandy. It actually barely had Sandy damage because there are dunes. Most of the damage was on the bay side and came from the bay itself.

Yes, my bad, it was awesome, you should see the pictures we have from the water, fun times, thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey