Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 21,287 times

Advertisements

So what did ultimately happen in your case - I too got caught by a cop for not tapping in my ticket at a path station. I saw an open gate and I walked right through it and sat quietly inside the train. a cop came and asked me to step out of the train and said he saw me on camera that i didn't swipe my card. He asked me my personal details - name, Id, address and handed me a ticket. I am on H1b visa from India and have been in the USA for approx 6 months. What will happen now? On the ticket, the cops handwriting is not so clear but it seems some date is there for appearing in the court. Can I represent myself or do I need to get an immigration attorney as I am not a citizen of this country. What will be the penalty? Will it show up as a criminal record? and will it impact my travel in/out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Can you or someone tell me what will happen for fare evasion on path NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post
I walked through the open handicap gate . My path card didnt get register . Cop told me that i didnt tap my train card properly in Newark NJ Path station, and was consequently given a slip that says fare evasion.

Do i have to attend court ? Any idea how much is the penalty ?
Wil this be registered against my record in any kind of background check ?
I too got caught by a cop for not tapping in my ticket at a path station. I saw an open gate and I walked right through it and sat quietly inside the train. a cop came and asked me to step out of the train and said he saw me on camera that i didn't swipe my card. He asked me my personal details - name, Id, address and handed me a ticket. I am on H1b visa from India and have been in the USA for approx 6 months. What will happen now? On the ticket, the cops handwriting is not so clear but it seems some date is there for appearing in the court. Can I represent myself or do I need to get an immigration attorney as I am not a citizen of this country. What will be the penalty? Will it show up as a criminal record? and will it impact my travel in/out of the country.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:17 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I did a Google search and found a similar case. It seems as if you have to make a court appearance and pay a fine. This guy says his was $74 in 2010, so you should expect it to be more than that now.

However, the guy is also from India and he is asking on a legal advice site whether having that on his record will affect his visa. The lawyer says that if you violated an ordinance (is there an ordinance number on the ticket?) it is not considered a crime, but he advises that he consult an immigration attorney to be sure.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/f...d-2934969.html

In summary, it seems as if you should just show up and pay the fine but follow up with an immigration attorney to see if this will affect anything in the future.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Understood - That on the date mentioned in the ticket, I will have to appear in the court and pay the fine (through a cheque or a money order and not by cash?/?).
Also another understanding is that this will show up on my record as a civil offense - is that correct? Will it impact my work visa when i apply for extension? or will this impact my traveling in/out of the usa?
can someone who has faced this answer my questions.

I will make sure once my process is over, I will answer these questions for future fare evaders to know what happens in such a situation.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
How about just paying the fare?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 AM

I would definitely pay the fare from now on. but there is nothing like getting away the first time whatever be the cause - you're in a hurry or you don't know is it an offense which would lead to a court appearance.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareevasionNJPath View Post
I would definitely pay the fare from now on. but there is nothing like getting away the first time whatever be the cause - you're in a hurry or you don't know is it an offense which would lead to a court appearance.
I get it. Of all the battles available, that would not be one I would be inclined to pick .

Old 11-29-2018, 12:19 PM

So any pin pointed answers to make my nerves settle down a bit - this is really my first offense like in my whole life and i got butterflies as to what will happen next?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareevasionNJPath View Post
So any pin pointed answers to make my nerves settle down a bit - this is really my first offense like in my whole life and i got butterflies as to what will happen next?
This is a misdemeanor, not something awful. I think if you just show up on time, tell them you're sorry and won't do it again and pay the fine, you should be fine. Have you called the court? You can do that and ask them what to expect and also if you need to bring anything with you other than the ticket and money.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:27 PM

@Hannah5555 those are some soothing words from you. Thank you ma'am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey