Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:13 PM

166 posts, read 326,360 times

Advertisements

I'd skip East Orange and East Rutherford. I'd visit Rutherford instead. Also if visiting Montclair make sure you see the 4 different areas in Montclalir. Upper Montclair, Watchung Avenue, Walnut Street and Montclair Center. The first 3 areas are centered around train stations so you can't miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 10,731 times
Hi Spoonman109,

Why would you skip East Orange and East Rutheford? East Rutherford by the train station looks fine no?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:35 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,973,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlombard View Post
Hi Spoonman109,

Why would you skip East Orange and East Rutheford? East Rutherford by the train station looks fine no?
Perhaps you mean SOUTH Orange? East Orange is not a nice area.

And Rutherford has the nice downtown, while East Rutherford has the sports arenas and industrial parks.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM

166 posts, read 326,360 times
so if you are looking at apartments then yes there is one in East Rutherford (practically in Rutherford) that is right next to the train station.

It's called Rutherford Station, but I doubt 2,900 will get you a 3 bedroom. Why 3 bedrooms if it's just a small baby and the two of you? That is limiting for an apartment and expensive. For a 2 bedroom with that budget you can get pretty much any nice amenity filled apartment building in a lot of nice towns.

Yeah skip East Orange and look at South Orange if you need to look at any of the oranges.

For Apartments here is how it will work. If you don't mind an older building with no amenities you can find something for your budget that is 3 bedrooms. If you want an amenity building with all the fixings that will only be a 2 bedroom. Anything by say "Avalon" or whatever that will demand a premium and put you into a 2 bedroom.

A third route is a multi family house where you get one of the floors in the house and that will be within your budget for 3 bedrooms.

Here are some examples:
older building:
Montclair Arms (older building but still nice) - within your budget for a 3 bedroom

Montclair, NJ Apartments | Montclair Arms

New Building
Valley and Bloom in Montclair. Only 2 bedrooms and price at or over your budget

Floor Plans of Valley & Bloom in Montclair, NJ

Old 09-01-2015, 03:31 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,662,372 times
You can get a 3BR(actually a 2BR with Den with 3.5baths) at Liberty Terrace in East Rutherford for less than that($2300-$2500) its about a 9-10 minute walk from the train station or a 2 minute walk to the bus. I would definitely take a look, the downtowns in Madison and Maplewood do not offer much more than Rutherford does and they are farther from the city. Montclair definitely wins for culture and nightlife but its also farther from the city. East Rutherford is very safe and a tremendous value, especially for someone who does not need the schools in Montclair, Madison or Summit.

East Rutherford NJ Apartments for Rent | Liberty Terrace | East Rutherford NJ Apartment Rentals

Old 09-02-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
so if you are looking at apartments then yes there is one in East Rutherford (practically in Rutherford) that is right next to the train station.

It's called Rutherford Station, but I doubt 2,900 will get you a 3 bedroom. Why 3 bedrooms if it's just a small baby and the two of you? That is limiting for an apartment and expensive. For a 2 bedroom with that budget you can get pretty much any nice amenity filled apartment building in a lot of nice towns.

Yeah skip East Orange and look at South Orange if you need to look at any of the oranges.

For Apartments here is how it will work. If you don't mind an older building with no amenities you can find something for your budget that is 3 bedrooms. If you want an amenity building with all the fixings that will only be a 2 bedroom. Anything by say "Avalon" or whatever that will demand a premium and put you into a 2 bedroom.

A third route is a multi family house where you get one of the floors in the house and that will be within your budget for 3 bedrooms.

Here are some examples:
older building:
Montclair Arms (older building but still nice) - within your budget for a 3 bedroom

Montclair, NJ Apartments | Montclair Arms

New Building
Valley and Bloom in Montclair. Only 2 bedrooms and price at or over your budget

Floor Plans of Valley & Bloom in Montclair, NJ

Hi Spoonman,

Thanks again. The reason we are looking for a 3 bedroom is mostly for our guests visiting. A 2 bedroom large enough can do the job too. Ideally, 3 bedroom is best. I do agree with you that the price point is much higher though for a 3 bedroom. I think that going on-site and looking at them will give me a better idea on the size.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You can get a 3BR(actually a 2BR with Den with 3.5baths) at Liberty Terrace in East Rutherford for less than that($2300-$2500) its about a 9-10 minute walk from the train station or a 2 minute walk to the bus. I would definitely take a look, the downtowns in Madison and Maplewood do not offer much more than Rutherford does and they are farther from the city. Montclair definitely wins for culture and nightlife but its also farther from the city. East Rutherford is very safe and a tremendous value, especially for someone who does not need the schools in Montclair, Madison or Summit.

East Rutherford NJ Apartments for Rent | Liberty Terrace | East Rutherford NJ Apartment Rentals
Thanks TDStyles.

I saw this one 2 days ago and I am going to visit it at the end of the month. It looks fine and the den is actually a 3bedroom.. it has windows and a closet. It does fit in my budget as well. It is definitely an option.

Do you know anyone living in the area or at Liberty Terrace?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:34 AM

358 posts, read 282,845 times
You're leaving beautiful Quebec and Montreal area for NJ?!?!?!?!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,662,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlombard View Post
Thanks TDStyles.

I saw this one 2 days ago and I am going to visit it at the end of the month. It looks fine and the den is actually a 3bedroom.. it has windows and a closet. It does fit in my budget as well. It is definitely an option.

Do you know anyone living in the area or at Liberty Terrace?
I actually lived in that complex myself for almost 2 years(about 6 years ago). I have a few friends who live in Rutherford. Let me know if you have any specific questions but here are the highlights:

1.) Safety. Very safe area, in fact it's next to the Federal Reserve Offices that have a dedicated police force in addition to the boro police.

2.) Bus to NYC is at the the end of Cornelius street(1 long block outside of the complex's north Entrance).

3.) Apartment construction is pretty bad. I never had a problem with noise but if you have noisy neighbors this could be an issue. Walls are thin and insulation is bad. I would spend some time in the actual apartment you are looking to rent at peak times(like weekend mornings or weekday evenings). If possible try and get a unit without parking underneath it.

4.) Large Indian population.

5.) Parking at Rutherford Train Station sucks and its exactly a 9 minute walk, this is just long enough to be annoying especially in the winter

6.) Location. Amazing. Easy access to rt 17. Easy access to d-town Rutherford which has some awesome restaurants. There are 2 bars on the east side of the tracks in East Rutherford(same 9 minute walk). There is a BJ's across the street and a Panera and Baja Fresh in the plaza outside the back entrance to the building.

7.) Property manager lives onsite so make friends with her and the maintenance staff. They are good people but definitely give preferential treatment to residents who chat them up.

8.) Tons of guest parking(a whole separate lot worth) as well as assigned spots for residents.

9.) apartments used to come without window treatments so you'd have to buy your own blinds. Not sure if that is still the case but keep in mind that is $40/window plus you have to install it and there is at least one sliding glass door that also needs covering.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 09-02-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I actually lived in that complex myself for almost 2 years(about 6 years ago). I have a few friends who live in Rutherford. Let me know if you have any specific questions but here are the highlights:

1.) Safety. Very safe area, in fact it's next to the Federal Reserve Offices that have a dedicated police force in addition to the boro police.

2.) Bus to NYC is at the the end of Cornelius street(1 long block outside of the complex's north Entrance).

3.) Apartment construction is pretty bad. I never had a problem with noise but if you have noisy neighbors this could be an issue. Walls are thin and insulation is bad. I would spend some time in the actual apartment you are looking to rent at peak times(like weekend mornings or weekday evenings). If possible try and get a unit without parking underneath it.

4.) Large Indian population.

5.) Parking at Rutherford Train Station sucks and its exactly a 9 minute walk, this is just long enough to be annoying especially in the winter

6.) Location. Amazing. Easy access to rt 17. Easy access to d-town Rutherford which has some awesome restaurants. There are 2 bars on the east side of the tracks in East Rutherford(same 9 minute walk). There is a BJ's across the street and a Panera and Baja Fresh in the plaza outside the back entrance to the building.

7.) Property manager lives onsite so make friends with her and the maintenance staff. They are good people but definitely give preferential treatment to residents who chat them up.

8.) Tons of guest parking(a whole separate lot worth) as well as assigned spots for residents.
Hey TDStyles!

This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for! Thanks for letting me know about the noise. I do not like it when neighbors are noisy so I will make sure to check that. I don't think I'll need the train if the bus drops me at Port authority. It is a few minutes walk to my future office (43rd st). It's also good to know that there is ample car parking available.

I do have a few more questions. I might be asking for fine details which probably won't affect my decision but hey!, might as well

1. How much did utilities cost you? Note that I don't know what utilies are typically charged (AC, Heat, Hot water? Anything else?)
2. Is FIOS available in this building?
3. I heard it is carpet wall to wall. was it clean? I'm not a fan of wall-to-wall carpet.
4. Was your parking included in your rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey