U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 AM

5,227 posts, read 11,680,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I believe that company was called Aero.
Areo or Aereo or something similar, yes they had setups where they would claim to have tiny postage stamp size antennas and you would lease an antenna and they would pipe the signal over the internet to you.

Much simpler and less complicated to do it yourself. Thats the way TV is supposed to be and many have forgotten but nowadays with about 50 free channels around here,,does the trick.

I've picked up antennas for a few bucks and once you point it right you scan your tv and you're done.

A must have since you will get channels you can't get on cable or sat and its always there, doesn't go down unless NYC melts, etc, then you have bigger problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,022,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post

A must have since you will get channels you can't get on cable or sat and its always there, doesn't go down unless NYC melts, etc, then you have bigger problems
That's true if you have satellite. Directv does not carry subchannels like Antenna TV or Escape. Verizon Fios does a great job with subchannels. They pretty much carry everything I would want. A lot of subchannels are foreign language, religious, or shopping which I wouldn't want anyway.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 PM

38 posts, read 30,064 times
I never quite got the logic of cable-cutters...

If it's about savings, yes you are saving a cable TV fee of something like $55 to $80 per month, but at the cost of fewer channels. This may or may not be a good deal, depending on your preference of channels.

If it's about the "freedom", then it starts to make no sense. These days TV isn't the only entertainment one needs in his/her home. There's the internet as well. To get that, at least in the United States, my understanding is that you HAVE TO be bound to a cable provider anyway, unless you are satisfied with DSL, the theoretical speed cap (technological limitation) of which is somewhere like 16Mbps, whereas the slowest cable internet comes at 25Mbps. Of course there's the option of living on a mobile (3G/4G) hotspot. But that's no faster than DSL, and often comes with a data cap.

The thing is, if you've got a cable provider for internet already, they always have combo service packs. Throw in an extra $20 to $30, you get a nice selection of channels...

Old 08-30-2015, 06:15 PM

362 posts, read 85,199 times
We had Comcast for years, until the day Verizon FIOS was installed. And we never looked back.

Cable may try to match speeds, and may succeed (or not), but Verizon service has been flawless.

Enhanced Wifi router service, with 75mbs in/out is not cheap, but it works for us.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM

200 posts, read 237,199 times
I've had TWC and Optimum before, and hands down it's FIOS ftw, TV and internet service have been flawless and fast for me in Bergen County. 50/50 MBps internet, 1 standard cable box, 1 multi-room DVR box, 1 cable card (for HDHomeRun Prime), ExtremeHD TV Package (pretty much every cable channel), HBO, SHO, TMC for $127/mo after taxes and fees. Not the cheapest on the block but def worth it IMO.

Verizon has one of the best apps for watching TV and managing DVR as well. Away from home there are like 30+ channels available I can watch on my phone incl SHO, FX, Disney, VH1, Travel, Nat Geo, CNN, ESPN, Spike, MTV, Food Network. If I'm at home connected to the FIOS WiFi, there are probably 100 channels I can watch on my ipad or phone incl network channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. This is awesome when I'm grilling or chillin on my deck w/ a drink and cigar.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM

5,227 posts, read 11,680,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassit View Post
I never quite got the logic of cable-cutters...

If it's about savings, yes you are saving a cable TV fee of something like $55 to $80 per month, but at the cost of fewer channels. This may or may not be a good deal, depending on your preference of channels.

If it's about the "freedom", then it starts to make no sense. These days TV isn't the only entertainment one needs in his/her home. There's the internet as well. To get that, at least in the United States, my understanding is that you HAVE TO be bound to a cable provider anyway, unless you are satisfied with DSL, the theoretical speed cap (technological limitation) of which is somewhere like 16Mbps, whereas the slowest cable internet comes at 25Mbps. Of course there's the option of living on a mobile (3G/4G) hotspot. But that's no faster than DSL, and often comes with a data cap.

The thing is, if you've got a cable provider for internet already, they always have combo service packs. Throw in an extra $20 to $30, you get a nice selection of channels...
To those of us who've been around a few years and still are, legitimate TV is free. Why pay someone else to repackage it for you and hand you the same thing that is free in the air?

Cable outfits are now offering internet service along with a free antenna to get knowledgeable customers as customers.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM

221 posts, read 232,228 times
Quote:
To those of us who've been around a few years and still are, legitimate TV is free. Why pay someone else to repackage it for you and hand you the same thing that is free in the air?

Cable outfits are now offering internet service along with a free antenna to get knowledgeable customers as customers.
How much is high speed internet with no tv vs. high speed internet with basic tv (espn, etc.)?

Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Because of sports for one thing. I'm a Yankees fan. There are only about 20 games a year, at most, on free TV. I also watch a lot of documentaries on networks like Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, and Smithsonian that you're not going to find free over the air, or on Netflix or any other similar type of service.

Cord cutting is really only geared towards people that don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, and only watch the main networks like NBC or CBS. I watch a lot of TV in general, and watch a wide variety of networks. I get my money's worth so I really have no issue with paying a cable bill.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM

10,919 posts, read 6,855,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Because of sports for one thing. I'm a Yankees fan. There are only about 20 games a year, at most, on free TV. I also watch a lot of documentaries on networks like Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, and Smithsonian that you're not going to find free over the air, or on Netflix or any other similar type of service.

Cord cutting is really only geared towards people that don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, and only watch the main networks like NBC or CBS. I watch a lot of TV in general, and watch a wide variety of networks. I get my money's worth so I really have no issue with paying a cable bill.
Not really, I've cut the cord 3 years ago and I've watched more TV shwos. The reason network and cable TV turns me off because of their poor scheduling, I hate commercials why should I see commercials with a subscription channel like AMC? I don't like to be forced fed programming like listening to Obama speeches. There are a number of streaming sites that streams live TV sporting events for free, they are illegal but they are out there hosted in foreign countries that the FCC can't touch.

Most people that I know who are savvy in tech aren't watching corded or over the air TV anymore because of the points I mentioned. In Asia and Europe people watch content on their mobile device more than their home TV screens. Asia has moved almost completely to internet streamed TV because they don't have FCC that puts in forced restrictions and allows the cable networks to own and dominate content.

The FCC should be disbanded, let the market determine what people want to watch and pay for.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not really, I've cut the cord 3 years ago and I've watched more TV shwos. The reason network and cable TV turns me off because of their poor scheduling, I hate commercials why should I see commercials with a subscription channel like AMC?
That's not an issue for me. I have a DVR and have all my shows set up to record whenever they air. That way I can watch everything on my schedule and skip all the commercials.

Honestly, I don't mind paying 80 bucks a month for cable. It's a good value for me. There are people out there that drop $100 or more in a single night on dinner and drinks. Now that's poor value in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or