Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:13 PM

62 posts, read 80,351 times

Advertisements

Hey,

We're moving to Maplewood in a few weeks time and the house we're renting is already set up with Verizon.

Is it any good? Or are there better companies out there?

Thanks 😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:36 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
I've been using Verizon Fios for 6 years and never had a problem. There was only 1 time when we had a phone and internet outage but most of that was during the overnight hours so it didn't really matter anyway.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 PM

378 posts, read 586,903 times
Verizon FIOS is the best of the limited TV/Internet options available. Whatever you do, don't get Comcast (cable). They are the worst.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:37 PM

Ok thanks. Is the wifi speed/reliability good?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Internet speed often depends on whether its DSL or FIOS and which speed you contract and pay for.

Another thing I would always do is no matter what pay TV options you have, cable, satellite, IP, etc, especially in a place like Maplewood you will get the BEST quality full digital TV free over the air with many channels that aren't included anywhere else.

Probably about 50 or so digital TV channels over the air around there that close to NYC. Its been an indstry wide trend lately called cord-cutting and its big and nationwide.

You can check the address online at sites like tvfool.com and others. Many of the channels have subchannels withdifferent programs on them all free also, the way it should be

Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 PM

It's fiber optic to the house. Hard to beat that. Speed depends on what you pay for, but the reliability is good. It uses your house power, so if your power goes out, so does your internet. They provide a small battery good for one hour or so.

(I have no idea if a wifi transceiver is included in the price. But they do give you an ethernet connection to which you can hook up your own wifi transceiver.)

Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Verizon FIOS is the best of the limited TV/Internet options available. Whatever you do, don't get Comcast (cable). They are the worst.
I had Verizon for years and really liked the service. Comcast was bad and getting worse when I switched. When I got tired of Verizon's nonsense, I switched back to Comcast.

Verizon and Comcast are the best and the worst. They both have problems with customer service and billing. That said, I'd recommend starting with Verizon. They'll give you good, solid service for quite a while... until they don't.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Internet speed often depends on whether its DSL or FIOS and which speed you contract and pay for.

Another thing I would always do is no matter what pay TV options you have, cable, satellite, IP, etc, especially in a place like Maplewood you will get the BEST quality full digital TV free over the air with many channels that aren't included anywhere else.

Probably about 50 or so digital TV channels over the air around there that close to NYC. Its been an indstry wide trend lately called cord-cutting and its big and nationwide.

You can check the address online at sites like tvfool.com and others. Many of the channels have subchannels withdifferent programs on them all free also, the way it should be
What kind of antenna would I need to receive these over-the-air digital signals? Something similar to the old analog antenna that we used to have on a pole connected to the chimney pointing to the WTC?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post

Ok so you mean don't even bother with cable? How do you get the free service you mentioned?

Another question, if we get Verizon, can we pause, rewind and record the TV?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:58 PM

38 posts, read 55,404 times
If there is FiOS (not crappy DSL, get rid of it if that's the case), go for it by all means. Beats Comcast Xfinity ****less on any given day. Fiber optic offers MUCH more reliable connection over traditional cable. Additionally with FiOS you get very decent upload speed. I need to synchronize my stuff to the cloud all the time. Having 25Mbps or more upload speed is a blessing for that. If you do the same, FiOS is definitely the go-to solution.

I moved from a FiOS-covered area into a Comcast den. Man how I miss those good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey