Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,055 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My son is turning 7 this December. He is mildly autistic. I got a new job in NY-Manhatten. Can you please advice me on best schools in NJ and NY areas for him. I have to consider commute time for me too from that location to NY daily.

Also new company provides me and family health insurance. Do i need to check for anything specific in the insurance to see if it covers his services.

Thanks a lot in advance and god bless.

Thanks,
Mandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
[quote=mandyparker.nj;41089058]Hi All,

My son is turning 7 this December. He is mildly autistic. I got a new job in NY-Manhatten. Can you please advice me on best schools in NJ and NY areas for him. I have to consider commute time for me too from that location to NY daily.

Also new company provides me and family health insurance. Do i need to check for anything specific in the insurance to see if it covers his services.

Thanks,
Mandy[/quote

Hello, and welcome to the NJ/NYC area.

In order to give you truly useful suggestions we really need some further info from you. Please take the time to read this sticky post located at the top of the forum, Questions For Future and Potential Residents and then provide us with your answers to the questions. While you have given some info, you have left out some pretty important info, such as = Are you wanting a SFH, multi family, or a Condo/Townhouse? How many bedrooms? Housing budget? How far (time wise - in some areas it can take quite a bit of time o go a very short number of miles) of a commute are you comfortable with? Please be as specific as possible on what you are looking for in a new hometown community. Do you want an urban area?, maybe something suburban, but with a walkable downtown area?, or a more rural/bucolic area? Do you want to be near a a specific type of store? (such as Whole Foods or similar, or are you more of a super Walmart shopper?) Do you want to be near a specific type of religious house of worship? (Mosque, Hindu Temple, Synagogue, AmE, etc)

I am confident that when we forum members have that information, we will be very forthcoming with good suggestions and ideas to suit all of your circumstances, wants/needs etc. as well as within your budget.

As far as medical insurance coverage for your child with autism, you'd have to read the policy documents carefully, as every policy has different coverage amounts, restrictions. exclusions, and covered benefits. Ask your UR department for more info. One good thing to note is that your child's school needs and related educational needs are taken care of by your local school district. All children are entitled to a free and appropriate public education. For more information for help for parents navigating the special ed jungle, and information on how to best advocate for your child, check out SPAN, the state wide parent advocacy network. They are a great source for information on all you are dealing with. Statewide Parent Advocacy Network, Inc. | Supporting Parent Advocacy-SPAN The other good news is that since NJ has one of the highest rates of children on the spectrum, there are a wealth of support services available, and all school districts are well familiar with dealing with kids on the spectrum.

KoalaNJ

Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,055 times
I am looking to rent an apartment(rent budget $1500-$2300), in place with families with small kids. It would be great if it near to transit(Bus/Train) to Newyork. I have no specifications in terms of store/house of worship. My top priorities are

1) School district that has good inclusive program
2)Transit time to NY

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Mandy

Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Unfortunately there is no way to give you a good answer. Services that one gets vary by town in NJ & can vary year-to-year depending on the school budget. Most school districts will not speak to you until you can show them a signed lease to prove that you live within their district. That's a catch-22 situation.

My best advice is to rent at first. That way you can move to another school district if you are not satisfied.

None of the advocacy groups will comment on school districts.

You can go with the assumption that if a school district is poorly rated than you will not get services, but just because a school district is highly rated doesn't mean that they will give you services. Some school districts obey the law & many do not.

Last edited by daliowa; 09-11-2015 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-21-2015, 01:00 AM

17 posts, read 22,674 times
[quote=KoalaNJ;41090577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyparker.nj View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,
Mandy[/quote

Hello, and welcome to the NJ/NYC area.

In order to give you truly useful suggestions we really need some further info from you. Please take the time to read this sticky post located at the top of the forum, Questions For Future and Potential Residents and then provide us with your answers to the questions. While you have given some info, you have left out some pretty important info, such as = Are you wanting a SFH, multi family, or a Condo/Townhouse? How many bedrooms? Housing budget? How far (time wise - in some areas it can take quite a bit of time o go a very short number of miles) of a commute are you comfortable with? Please be as specific as possible on what you are looking for in a new hometown community. Do you want an urban area?, maybe something suburban, but with a walkable downtown area?, or a more rural/bucolic area? Do you want to be near a a specific type of store? (such as Whole Foods or similar, or are you more of a super Walmart shopper?) Do you want to be near a specific type of religious house of worship? (Mosque, Hindu Temple, Synagogue, AmE, etc)

I am confident that when we forum members have that information, we will be very forthcoming with good suggestions and ideas to suit all of your circumstances, wants/needs etc. as well as within your budget.

As far as medical insurance coverage for your child with autism, you'd have to read the policy documents carefully, as every policy has different coverage amounts, restrictions. exclusions, and covered benefits. Ask your UR department for more info. One good thing to note is that your child's school needs and related educational needs are taken care of by your local school district. All children are entitled to a free and appropriate public education. For more information for help for parents navigating the special ed jungle, and information on how to best advocate for your child, check out SPAN, the state wide parent advocacy network. They are a great source for information on all you are dealing with. Statewide Parent Advocacy Network, Inc. | Supporting Parent Advocacy-SPAN The other good news is that since NJ has one of the highest rates of children on the spectrum, there are a wealth of support services available, and all school districts are well familiar with dealing with kids on the spectrum.

KoalaNJ

Have an acquaintance of mine seeking similar as the First Post.
The person is seeking a 2 bedroom with W/D in the range of $1600 and all utilities included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey