Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM

32 posts, read 166,936 times

Advertisements

Quote, "['ve commented on statistics already. You do not live statistics. If someone considering a move to a place were basing it on statistics, they could easily just look them up using a search engine, unless they happen to be a complete moron, and then living anywhere would be a serious challenge for them."

I never stated that they should base their move on statistics. The fact is that by living in the aforementioned neighborhoods you put yourself at a greater risk of being a victim of a crime. I'm just being honest. I use to frequent one of the worst neighborhoods in North Philly (still do on weekends). I felt comfortable there, however I would not tell people the neighborhood was safe, it isn't. You are stating that because nothing has happened to you that it's safe (and I personally don't know if something has or hasn't). Being comfortable with your surroundings and the amount of crime in a neighborhood are two different things. I felt comfortable in Philly and Camden and in both neighborhoods I was held up at gun point. Why? The fact that regardless how I feel, that doesn't change the fact that a lot of crime takes place in those neighborhoods. And, I might add, that I still feel comfortable in both those neighborhoods.

I also believe I mentioned, which you left out, that if the original poster feels comfortable in the aforementioned neighborhoods, go for it.

Quote, "And I find it irresponsible to tell someone that an area is unsafe for them, that you feel unsafe there, etc. based on statistics. So I guess we're at loggerheads, aren't we?"

Again, it has nothing to do with how I feel. The person asked about safety, and the neighborhoods in question have a lot of crime, violent as well as non-violent. This person has to make a informed decision on their own accord. Just letting them know the facts about the crime rate. They can decide on how safe they feel. (Note: I've lived in neighborhoods with high crime rates, and after college for a few years, two neighborhoods with relatively low crimes rates. One of these towns, a suburban town, I hated and felt uncomfortable there. However, I knew the chances of me being mugged were low. Likewise, I love Jersey City, Union City, and Philadelphia...Three places I feel completely comfortable in and know the neighborhoods well. However, I know there is crime, and the chances that I will be a victim of crime is much great in this areas...It's simple math.

"That wouldn't be because of statistics. One doesn't live statistics. You'd need to say why living somewhere isn't going to be safe if it isn't."

No, it has to do with the amount of actual crime that takes place in these neighborhoods. Living in a neighborhood that has a lot of crime puts the person living and working there at a much greater risk of being a victim of a crime. Whether or not something will happen, or how comfortable you feel in a given neighborhood are different issues.

Quote, "Worst" needs to be defined, and you need to talk about what their kids, if they have any who would go to that school, would likely experience there, as their kids."

This is a silly conversation, I have several former students, who have attended the school in question. They did not feel safe (though they wouldn't openly admit it to you because they have to look tough). Are there some students and faculty that do, of course there are. However, my statement is NOT based on how safe those particular students felt. My statement is based on the actual crime that takes place in the school, and it is one of the worst in Jersey City.

"If they want to receive advice based on statistics, they can look at a search engine. They do not need posters here making vague statements that are based on statistics. "

But wasn't that her original question? How safe were the two aforementioned neighborhoods? So we should base safety on what? Person feelings or by how much crime takes place there?

If the original poster feels comfortable in those neighborhoods, then that's great. I personally looked at a few places near West Side Ave. But to pretend that those neighborhoods are safe, by safe I mean having low crime rates , is just silly.

Quote, " Okay, so if that's your experience, you'd say something like, "If you're going to be teaching emotionally disturbed teenagers, then you have a better chance of having a knife or gun pulled on you." Of course, that's probably the case teaching emotionally disturbed teenagers in most locations. It's about the people involved in that situation. "

Yes, I put myself at great risk. My kids (students, sorry) are great. But they are explosive and violent at times. I feel comfortable with where and what I am teaching, so i look past the safety issues. (I don't want to make my kids look like animals, they're not. However, in a fit they would think nothing of assaulting a teacher, flipping desks, etc...

But, if asked, I would say that there are many problems with teaching inner city Emotionally Disturbed teenagers. However, it fits my personality and "I" feel comfortable. The person asking the question should know the realities of it, and decide what they feel comfortable with.

It's absolutely fine that you and I don't feel threatened by those neighborhoods. But they are not safe, we just are not scared by what goes on (or just ignorant of what goes on, who knows) and have learned to feel comfortable in them.

Also, I believe you said you lived on Grove St. I my opinion, though rents have become pricey, Grove St. offers so much. I also live on Grove, and couldn't be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycity79 View Post
You are stating that because nothing has happened to you that it's safe (and I personally don't know if something has or hasn't).
I've stated things much more complex than that. There's no need to reiterate them at this point really. They're there if you're interested in reading them.
Quote:
Being comfortable with your surroundings and the amount of crime in a neighborhood are two different things.
You're agreeing with me here.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 PM

106 posts, read 898,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy22 View Post
@ DessertRat

I'm not sure anyone actually enjoys spending time in that store, or feels good about leaving their car in the shady parking lot.
It has a huge selection, good prices and is easy to get to by car and public transportation. The lite rail stops in the parking lot.

I hit Whole Foods every couple of weeks for certain specialty and upscale items, but I go to this very store for all my "regular" groceries.

I have never looked upon grocery shopping as something to "enjoy". It's just a basic task that adults must accomplish, like going to the dry cleaners or the bank, and one that I don't give a pleasant/unpleasant rating to.

Maybe grocery shopping in the midwest or something is really pleasant. I don't know. I just go in, get my stuff, pay and leave.

As long as they have what I want or need at decent prices, I'm cool with it.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,611 times
Hey guys, Anyone lived in Jersey City for a few decades at least?? I had a friend years ago, the Radomski family on Communipaw Avenue, the address I believe was something like 375 or 395 Communipaw. My friend Mike went off to the Military, I went to college..Met at a CYO Camp..Anyone know anything about them ,,email...habs30rules@yahoo.com

Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,611 times
Default Communipaw Avenue Friend

Guys, I was sent to this link by mistake, then I saw what the title was about and remembered I had a friend many years ago that resided on Communipaw Avenue , something like 375 or 395, they were the Radomski family, and my friends name was Mike..Met at a Summer Camp years ago, he went to the Military, I went to college...Nice people and I always felt bad I didnt stay in touch.., as often happens..
Just wondering if Anyone has lived around there and might remember [EMAIL="them...email..habs30rules@yahoo.com"]them...email..habs30rules@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
Newark or Camden is where its at.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 PM

414 posts, read 537,488 times
mostly bad

Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 500 times
Default dont move

Communipaw Avenue is not a good area

Old 08-25-2015, 06:10 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae6571 View Post
Communipaw Avenue is not a good area
So...you believe that the OP is still seeking advice on this topic 7 1/2 years after she posted her question?

Her question (posted in January, 2008) regarding Jersey City is the only query that she has ever posted to this forum, and the likelihood that she is still monitoring this thread for responses is...let's just say...not strong.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 AM

445 posts, read 586,424 times
Default Street closures Saturday in Jersey City for implosion at Montgomery Gardens

Street closures Saturday in Jersey City for implosion at Montgomery Gardens | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey