Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times

Advertisements

The other problem with Macys was their old fashioned checkout experience. Instead of having a main area with all the cash registers like every other store, they had 1 register in each department. So inevitably you would have 1 department that was very busy with a long line and nobody waiting at any of the other registers throughout the store. At Macy's it could take 10 minutes to buy a pair of gloves. At Kohl's you could have 10 items and be checked out in 2 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:18 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I had the same experience with a bed. Funny enough, it has the same exact "retail price" of $1199. It was 50% off when I saw it, for $600. I bought it on Amazon for $400 with free Prime delivery. Now Macy's has it for $449 but I still came out ahead.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
They just closed the West Orange store about a month ago. That store was only about a mile from my house but I found it worth the 5-mile trip to stores like Marshals, TJ Maxx, and Kohls for much better deals.
The West Orange store is re-opening as an "Macy's Backstage" discount store. Given that there's a Macy's at Livingston and one at Short Hills it's not surprising they closed that mini-Macy's in WO; apparently the only reason they've kept the store this long is their real estate costs are insanely low.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The West Orange store is re-opening as an "Macy's Backstage" discount store. Given that there's a Macy's at Livingston and one at Short Hills it's not surprising they closed that mini-Macy's in WO; apparently the only reason they've kept the store this long is their real estate costs are insanely low.
Good to know. I guess it will be something like a Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Store-wide sales are usually a big lie. Stores that always advertise percent-off sales are always charging you the regular price. This is the oldest scam in retailing.

We see this especially in jewelry. Kohls or Sears or Macys having these "70% off" sales every few weeks. 70% off IS THE REGULAR FULL PRICE. Don't be stupid.

Joseph A. Bank having its "Buy one suite, get 2 suits absolutely free" sale. LIE! Their suits are always on some ridiculous sale, you are buying 3 suits at full regular price.

When you buy Levis at 40% off yet are still paying $25 for the jeans, you are paying full retail price. You are saving nothing.

Smarten up folks. As New Jerseyans we are not supposed to fall for this nonsense.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Its not a Macy's thing. Every retailer will have their own costs and markups based on what they feel they can get for a product. Some retailers care about being the lowest price, some care about staying competitive with other retailers in the area, some just do their own thing based on their own internal marketing research.

As a consumer, it is up to you to do YOUR research and look for whats best for you.

There are certain Dept stores where service is more important than anything else. I want to be waited on, I want everything to be wrapped and or shipped by them, I want them to put everything in my vehicle, and I will not wait in line. They will take care of everything and cater to my every desire or I will simply go somewhere else.

Then there are others I want nothing to do with the staff at all. I want to walk in, get what i went there for, (because I've already researched the product to death), pay for my items and walk out without ever speaking to another human.

Then there is online shopping.

Its all about what is most important to YOU. Convenience, price, warranty, return policy, delivery, additional services (like installation/removal) etc.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:32 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Stopped shopping at Macys after they declined to carry Trump collection.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Store-wide sales are usually a big lie. Stores that always advertise percent-off sales are always charging you the regular price. This is the oldest scam in retailing.

We see this especially in jewelry. Kohls or Sears or Macys having these "70% off" sales every few weeks. 70% off IS THE REGULAR FULL PRICE. Don't be stupid.

Joseph A. Bank having its "Buy one suite, get 2 suits absolutely free" sale. LIE! Their suits are always on some ridiculous sale, you are buying 3 suits at full regular price.

When you buy Levis at 40% off yet are still paying $25 for the jeans, you are paying full retail price. You are saving nothing.

Smarten up folks. As New Jerseyans we are not supposed to fall for this nonsense.
Retailers have to make a profit somehow, right? And how long can you wait to buy something before the item disappears, or you really need that pair of blue jeans? Macy's does do price adjustments within 2 weeks I think; that's definitely nice.

I comparison shop almost everything online before going out to buy, if I even buy it in person. Online shopping is the best.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
I agree all retailers do this but Macy's is highly overrated. The one in Newport Mall JC is always an absolute disaster. Rude customers as well as staff. On busy days the clothes are thrown all over the place. Hangers have the size, but when you actually look at the label on the shirt you are hoping to buy, its a different size and the size you want is not there. The place is a mess. All retailers mark up hugely and then announce a sale, but Macy's seems to do it at an embarrassing rate when you do some comparison shopping.

If you are certain in your size, online buying is the cheapest. I still prefer to to go the store and try things one. If you are buying something like a rug, of course you want to take a look at it in person.

JC Penny seems to be doing better with good sales but less exciting brands. Still the experience shopping there is better at least at the mall I go to.

One of my favorite stores is a place I go to while visiting family down south. It's called Belk. Its a lot like Macy's in terms of the brands but the prices are better and the stores are clean and well put together. Wish we had them up north.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
J.C. Penney tried real pricing with no fake sales or coupons. It nearly bankrupted them. Shoppers prefer the fakery. Anyway, with Macy's they send out 20% off coupons all the time, so if paying more than 20% off the marked price, you're paying too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey