Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Hey, I didn't say that was a bad thing. More deli's should copy Kat'z. It makes it a lot easier than having to drive into the city.

I would never drive into the city for a sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
I used to enjoy and frequent many diners, all over state as I was out on business meetings every single day. There used to be some excellent diners -- and I am sure there still are, but IMO they are very few and far between, for many reasons which are beyond the scope of this thread.

That said, I'll stick with diners that I've been to recently and knock out the ones I haven't been to in a couple of years -- that said, I like Gotham City diner in Fair Lawn, Stateline Diner in Mahwah, the Pantagis Diner in Edison, Americana Diner in East Windsor, and I'll have to think of a few of the others.

As far as the pastrami discussion -- in my opinion, when it first opened Irving's was top notch! It was very good. Many debated whether the pastrami was better at Irving's or Eppes Essen, and personally, I liked them both very much. However, after a period of time, Irving's jumped the shark so to speak, and they really slipped, a lot. They just made some changes and the food changed. I was disappointed. I tried is several more times hoping it would get better, hoping it was simply a bad stretch, changes would happen for the better, and so on -- but it didn't. Regardless, to say Katz's was a knock-off or imitation of Irving's is naive and foolish. Katz's Deli is an all-time classic deli -- it is legendary. If you want to tell me you liked the pastrami better at Irving's, OK, you are entitled to your opinion. Some people like chocolate and some people like vanilla. Personally, Katz's and a couple of other places in NY, in my opinion, where light years ahead of Irving's for pastrami. Not even close. I've yet to find any NJ place that is close to some of my favorites in NYC.

The best for my likes in NJ are Eppes Essen -- the best in my mind, Kosher Nosh, the best you'll find in Bergen County, and Harold's in Edison, which I haven't been to in a good few years.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I used to enjoy and frequent many diners, all over state as I was out on business meetings every single day. There used to be some excellent diners -- and I am sure there still are, but IMO they are very few and far between, for many reasons which are beyond the scope of this thread.

That said, I'll stick with diners that I've been to recently and knock out the ones I haven't been to in a couple of years -- that said, I like Gotham City diner in Fair Lawn, Stateline Diner in Mahwah, the Pantagis Diner in Edison, Americana Diner in East Windsor, and I'll have to think of a few of the others.

As far as the pastrami discussion -- in my opinion, when it first opened Irving's was top notch! It was very good. Many debated whether the pastrami was better at Irving's or Eppes Essen, and personally, I liked them both very much. However, after a period of time, Irving's jumped the shark so to speak, and they really slipped, a lot. They just made some changes and the food changed. I was disappointed. I tried is several more times hoping it would get better, hoping it was simply a bad stretch, changes would happen for the better, and so on -- but it didn't. Regardless, to say Katz's was a knock-off or imitation of Irving's is naive and foolish. Katz's Deli is an all-time classic deli -- it is legendary. If you want to tell me you liked the pastrami better at Irving's, OK, you are entitled to your opinion. Some people like chocolate and some people like vanilla. Personally, Katz's and a couple of other places in NY, in my opinion, where light years ahead of Irving's for pastrami. Not even close. I've yet to find any NJ place that is close to some of my favorites in NYC.

The best for my likes in NJ are Eppes Essen -- the best in my mind, Kosher Nosh, the best you'll find in Bergen County, and Harold's in Edison, which I haven't been to in a good few years.
I think you got it backwards. I said Irvings is supposed to be the knock off of Kat'z, not the other way around. Kat'z has been around since the 1800's.

And yes, when Irvings first opened the pastrami used to be thick cut, like Kat'z. Not so much anymore.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you were referring to the other poster.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
When Irving's first opened it was the real deal -- very good pastrami, done right, coming right out of the steamer, hand-cut, NY deli style, thick and very good. I don't know what happened, but after a period of time -- they just changed. I think the pastrami was NOT as good and they weren't doing it, preparing it the same way. Regardless, it was not as good to me.

I just don't think there is any pastrami in NJ that can come close to the top NY delis. I like Hobby's in Newark as well.

I was always a Katz's, Stage, Carnegie, Pastrami Queen kind of guy. LOL.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:08 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
When Irving's first opened it was the real deal -- very good pastrami, done right, coming right out of the steamer, hand-cut, NY deli style, thick and very good. I don't know what happened, but after a period of time -- they just changed. I think the pastrami was NOT as good and they weren't doing it, preparing it the same way. Regardless, it was not as good to me.

I just don't think there is any pastrami in NJ that can come close to the top NY delis. I like Hobby's in Newark as well.

I was always a Katz's, Stage, Carnegie, Pastrami Queen kind of guy. LOL.
2nd Avenue Deli used to be one of my favorites. I haven't tried it since they reopened though.

Re Irvings, I think they just don't have the kind of foot traffic that NYC deli's have so it is harder to make a profit on high end ingredients and costly cooking methods. When you always have a line out the door, like the NYC delis, everything is always going to be really fresh because you can barely keep up with demand. When you put a deli in a mini mall in Jersey, the customers are going to be much more sporadic, leaving the meat sitting for a while in between purchases. I still think Irving's is the best around, not that Eppes Essen isn't really good too. It is.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:40 PM

856 posts, read 704,783 times
Top Five:
1. Park Wayne Diner - Hamburg Turnpike & Valley Road, Wayne
2. Park West Diner - Route 46 West, Little Falls
3. Chit Chat Diner - Essex Street, Maywood
4. Pompton Queen Diner - Route 23 North, Pompton Plains
5. Brookside Diner - Route 10 East, Hanover Twp.

Bottom Five:
1. Pilgrim Diner - Pompton Avenue, Cedar Grove
2. Candlewyck Diner - Paterson Avenue, East Rutherford
3. Mac's Diner - Route 23 North, Butler
4. Pine Brook Diner - Route 46 West, Pine Brook
5. Paul's Diner - Route 46 East, Mountain Lakes

Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM

625 posts, read 797,210 times
Topps Diner in East Newark

Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Lots of warm & fuzzy diner memories for me.

I associate diners with Sunday morning pre-church breakfasts with mom & dad...particularly at the VIP diner in Jersey City, and then later on, the Montville diner in Pine Brook. Everyone always got omelettes (Western or Greek mostly) with home fries and toast (white, with butter & grape jelly, like God intended). We always requested a booth so my brother & I could beg for quarters and then fight over which songs to play on the jukebox (Madonna! Prince! Bon Jovi! Guns N Roses!), but then the vein on my father's left temple would start to bulge and he would quietly ask us both if we would each like to order a knuckle sandwich for breakfast instead, so we'd end up pressing the button for Bobby Darin, Beyond the Sea to appease him (and his forehead vein).

When I got older, diners got to be the place where we could stretch or break curfew, smoke cigarettes, and generally act like self-important little teenage a-holes...this would be at The Golden Touch in East Hanover (aka "The Greasy Touch" and/or "The Greasy Crotch"), as well as The Nautilus (aka "The Nauseous") in Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey