Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 50,152 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am in a PSEG service area and saw an advertisement for Direct Energy ?
Any reviews Or suggestion about signing up for Direct Energy ?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 PM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvestingInNJ View Post
Hello All,

I am in a PSEG service area and saw an advertisement for Direct Energy ?
Any reviews Or suggestion about signing up for Direct Energy ?

Thanks!
Just say no.

The electric rates seem higher than my PSEG rates, there is a $99 cancellation fee during the initial term (12 months ) and after the initial term your rates float, which could be a disaster.

Remember, you still have to pay for electricity delivery from PSEG no matter who you use as a supplier. I have not seen one outside supplier that does not have the whiff of scam, especially when the rates float. Floating rates means that during a high use period like a heat wave, your rates will be much higher than the rates you will have with PSEG.

Just stick with PSEG. I am not an employee of PSEG or any way affiliated with PSEG.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:03 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Yahh, PSEG is pretty good. I like better then jersey Power and light.

Those 3rd party scammers that claim they can give you a better deal. Delivery costs the same and so is the source for the product you are buying. This area has the same energy supplier. Same gas mines same nuclear power plant. Bigger companies buy in bigger lots and thus get bigger discount.

If some-one tells you they could get you better deal then PS&G, do check the fine print, in most cases it will not be true.

I worked for a company like that once, they said that could reduce gas bill by 30% to industrial clients, like of you need gas to power a furriness because your company melts steel. This discount works based on forecasting the amount of gas you will relating it to future contracts or something like that.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,574 times
Just something else to think about - when you have an electrical/power problem that requires the local power company to get involved, where do you think you'll be on their list of things to do if you're not one of their active customers??

I talked to a JCP&L foreman years ago and he told me about that......that people don't realize that, sure, they can possibly get electric for a few pennies cheaper but when there is a problem or say a major storm guess who gets put on the bottom of the service list?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Agree with all of the above.

In the long run, you will find that it's not worth it to switch from PSEG or JCPL to some other provider. There is lots of fine print, and as for the supposed savings and discounts...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If you are not happy with your gas & electric bill, it probably has more to do with the hardware in your house...the age/efficiency of your HVAC system, as well as your windows/insulation.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Not all alternative energy suppliers are a bad deal. I have some relatives that use electric heat. Their electric bills in the winter can approach $800/month (they live in CT where electric rates are the highest in the nation). After switching to an alternative supplier they are now saving over $100/month during the winter months. They have had this service for a few years and never had any issues. So not all companies are bad, you just have to know what you're getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: