Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,700 times

Advertisements

Why is no one telling the truth about this crap town!! It is the pits. There are so many bars in this town, which should tell you about all the alcoholics - and there are a lot. Not only alcohol but drugs as well. You can go on any corner and find any drug you want. Don't believe me? That's okay - go to the police station and ask them - they will tell you the truth. Big time heroin. While you are there, ask them how many suicides there are amongst young people here as well. There is a lot of homelessness also.
Which should also indicate something about the schools. The grammer school is not so bad but the High School is no good. Highest detention rate in NJ. You can look that up as well. Do you really want to live amongst all that? Do you want to subject your children to all that? This town belongs next to Elizabeth or Newark or even Jersey City - they would fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:00 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
What a crock, iccal. There are drugs and alcoholics anywhere. If you want them, they are available. And homeless, are you kidding me? I know exactly the people you are talking about and they do have homes, just choose to walk around a lot. EVERY town has these!
As far as the detention rate, yeah, if you're not going with the program, you should get detention. This tells me they don't take any crap from misbehaved kids.
Don't listen to this guy. He's obviously upset about something in the town that has nothing to do with what you're asking.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM

468 posts, read 580,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iccal View Post
Why is no one telling the truth about this crap town!! It is the pits. There are so many bars in this town, which should tell you about all the alcoholics - and there are a lot. Not only alcohol but drugs as well. You can go on any corner and find any drug you want. Don't believe me? That's okay - go to the police station and ask them - they will tell you the truth. Big time heroin. While you are there, ask them how many suicides there are amongst young people here as well. There is a lot of homelessness also.
Which should also indicate something about the schools. The grammer school is not so bad but the High School is no good. Highest detention rate in NJ. You can look that up as well. Do you really want to live amongst all that? Do you want to subject your children to all that? This town belongs next to Elizabeth or Newark or even Jersey City - they would fit right in.
I don't know where you live now,but if it's the lap of luxury then maybe Manville might seem like that to you.
I think your comments are a bit exaggerated,I grew up for the most part in Manville and now live in Philadelphia and let me tell you Manville is like a walk in the park compared to here!
I do agree that there seemed to be a higher than normal suicide rate in Manville,I lost a few classmates sooner than should have,but I think that may have something to do with the town's blue collar roots and depressive environment. Whether it has something to do with the old Polish heritage or whatever.
I also agree that the high school did not have the best reputation,especially when I attended back in the 1980s.
I disagree though that it should be in with Elizabeth,Newark,and Jersey City. There's quite a difference there.
I would say that it's still somewhat of a sleepy town,and should stay that way if they don't build too many more shopping areas there.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 PM

100 posts, read 420,701 times
I live in Manville and I am currently selling my house here- but not because I dont like the town! My childs teachers are great (though underpaid), we are near 287, 22, 202/206, etc, Walmart, Rutgers U, etc. Its a working class town with a lot of nice people. And your price range is well within range of what you can get here.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM

38 posts, read 266,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Also, don't listen to the misnomers about the flooding. Just because a home was hit in Floyd, doesn't mean it's flood prone. That was a two storm convergence that was a fluke. There has been homes that were hit that had never been hit before.
I agree that it was a fluky storm, but a fluky storm COULD happen again. Just because a storm is called a "100-year storm" doesn't mean another one won't come within the next 100 years.

That's why I think Flyod is a great barometer to use; if the house you are looking at didn't get hit by Flyod, it's not getting hit. If it did get hit by Flyod, you have a right to be at least a tad concerned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey