Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM

20 posts, read 57,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Roughly....depending on interest rates and downpayment. Don't forget about property taxes, insurance, and association fees if applicable. They can EASILY add on another 500-600 on your monthly payment.
WOW!! $1,600/m for a $200,000 house. I'll lookup for a condo. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,685 times
What is your max monthly payment? Condos are going to run you just as much per month. You might be better off renting a 1br apartment for now - or renting a house with roomates.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Max monthly payment: $1,300
My monthly income after taxes is $3,000

Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insiderz View Post
As Jean said, I have heard people saying that Essex (ex: East Orange) is a very affordable area. But I believe that Is around 50+ minutes away from NYC.

As per most replies I see now that it is impossible to find a house with my conditions, within the 30min range area.
E.O. is approx. 40 minutes from Manhattan.

I wouldn't want my worst enemy to live in that city.

Also, taxes in Essex are a killer.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Max monthly payment: $1,300
Rent.

Rent for as cheap as you can, preferably with a month to month arrangement (so you can leave when your options change). Keep things cheap, save everything else to build up your downpayment, and wait for the houses to begin selleng en masse come springtime. The market outlook right now isn't so hot, but remember, many more come on the market in the warmer weather. Keep your eyes peeled, and you may come across something good.

However, it won't meet all 4 of your requirements. The two easy ones to change are the number of bedrooms and the travel time to NYC. Travel time to NYC is the first requirement you should reevaluate.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
E.O. is approx. 40 minutes from Manhattan.

I wouldn't want my worst enemy to live in that city.

Also, taxes in Essex are a killer.
LMAO, wow that sounds like a killer neighborhood to live in.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Rent.

Rent for as cheap as you can, preferably with a month to month arrangement (so you can leave when your options change). Keep things cheap, save everything else to build up your downpayment, and wait for the houses to begin selleng en masse come springtime. The market outlook right now isn't so hot, but remember, many more come on the market in the warmer weather. Keep your eyes peeled, and you may come across something good.

However, it won't meet all 4 of your requirements. The two easy ones to change are the number of bedrooms and the travel time to NYC. Travel time to NYC is the first requirement you should reevaluate.
Cucullin, Thanks a lot! I will reevaluate my thoughts. Many Thanks for your time!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
EB2

Quote:
LMAO, wow that sounds like a killer neighborhood to live in.
E.O. is high crime.

Try looking at statistics for cities that are "cheap". If you find something cheap in NNJ - chances are you don't want it (in most cases).

Actually, most of Essex is going to be pretty expensive (I've seen even a few homes selling for 250-350 in undesirable areas). One of my friends paid over 13k in one town, and other friends are paying 10k+ for taxes alone.

I'd recommend renting a place first, or if you want cheaper rent + housing, going farther west or south.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
E.O. is high crime.

Try looking at statistics for cities that are "cheap". If you find something cheap in NNJ - chances are you don't want it (in most cases).

Actually, most of Essex is going to be pretty expensive (I've seen even a few homes selling for 250-350 in undesirable areas). One of my friends paid over 13k in one town, and other friends are paying 10k+ for taxes alone.

I'd recommend renting a place first, or if you want cheaper rent + housing, going farther west or south.
I hear you! I actually am a current renter. I just didn't want to keep throwing away money anymore...

Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
EB2

Quote:
I hear you! I actually am a current renter. I just didn't want to keep throwing away money anymore...
Where are you renting, if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey