Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,993 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I've never heard about it.
My younger brother received a basketball scholarship offer letter from there. Is it a good school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Yes.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
In terms of Athletics, it's decent. In terms of Academics, no.

If the scholarship is not life-changing, it might be better to take a look at other universities such as Princeton and Penn. They offer generous funding options as well. Although, it's very competitive.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMcKeely View Post
My younger brother received a basketball scholarship offer letter from there. Is it a good school?
I think it's a good enough school. Depending on how your brother is academically, it might be a good fit for him. As others have said, it's not Princeton, but my friend's daughter went there and graduated last year and she has a job and is doing OK. Not everyone is fit for Princeton, but that doesn't mean the alternatives have to be tossed out the window.

It's in a great location, with the Long Branch beaches a mile away, and the campus is very nice.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:16 AM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In terms of Athletics, it's decent. In terms of Academics, no.

If the scholarship is not life-changing, it might be better to take a look at other universities such as Princeton and Penn. They offer generous funding options as well. Although, it's very competitive.
Just a bit of a gap between Monmouth and Princeton/Penn, yes?

There are many good, more realistic options in the region. Rutgers is the obvious default, TCNJ is an excellent small college, Drew is decent if you prefer private. That said, Monmouth has a good location, and respectable athletics. Academics aren't great, but decent. It all depends on the courses you take and how much effort you put into them.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:24 AM

46 posts, read 55,945 times
I went to Monmouth college 40 years ago on a full tuition scholarship.
Never regretted it for a minute. Have used my degree successfully in my chosen field since completion. It has never held me back.
I had stats for "better" schools but was a jersey girl, first gen college grad in my family. The campus was/is gorgeous, the classes smaller. My only other financial choice would have been Rutgers, while a fine school, would have been a large nightmare for me.

So, toooooo many factors to consider to say if any school is "good". Look for fit, both academic and financial.
My favorite nj instate these days (besides Princeton, OF COURSE) is TCNJ.
It really is like a small private with a beautiful campus but with a public price tag. A great value.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Just a bit of a gap between Monmouth and Princeton/Penn, yes?

There are many good, more realistic options in the region. Rutgers is the obvious default, TCNJ is an excellent small college, Drew is decent if you prefer private. That said, Monmouth has a good location, and respectable athletics. Academics aren't great, but decent. It all depends on the courses you take and how much effort you put into them.
It's harder to get funding at Rutgers and TCNJ than at the schools I mentioned.

It really depends on the professors and faculty as well. You want to make sure that you're studying with top quality faculty. Unfortunately, they aren't spread out and generally flock to a few schools.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:53 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Being realistic as a private but non-competitive school it looks bad on a resume if you don't mention the scholarship (but should be fine if you do), but if it's a choice between take a full ride versus pay full freight at a "better" school, unless that better school is Princeton or something equivalent out of state take the money and don't think twice.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMcKeely View Post
Good school in terms of what?

For most science majors, No.

For education, yes.

What does your brother want to do?

Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
It's expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey