Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 16,536 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and my wife are thinking about moving to JC waterfront for its views and easy commute to manhattan. We are thinking about getting a unit in a new luxury rental building east of grove st. path station, and take the path from grove to the city. There is a new path station on the same block of the building.

There are 2 previous threads talking about JC in general that have a lot of negative things about JC.

Forget about all other area, can anyone give me any input exactly how good/bad is the waterfront area (and waterfront only)? how safe is it? Does my wife need to worry about safety when come home late?

any comments are appreciated. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myTT80 View Post
Hi, me and my wife are thinking about moving to JC waterfront for its views and easy commute to manhattan. We are thinking about getting a unit in a new luxury rental building east of grove st. path station, and take the path from grove to the city. There is a new path station on the same block of the building.

There are 2 previous threads talking about JC in general that have a lot of negative things about JC.

Forget about all other area, can anyone give me any input exactly how good/bad is the waterfront area (and waterfront only)? how safe is it? Does my wife need to worry about safety when come home late?

If you're not a drug dealer or in a gang, you'll be fine.

The biggest dilemma you're going to face is what to order for breakfast from the Brownstone Diner (you're probably looking at the new development by the marina, which is very close to the Brownstone). Note that you either have to walk a bit further to the PATH from there (it's not bad unless the weather sucks), or you can take the light rail, which runs right behind/through that development.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:

first off grove st is not the waterfront, while the area has seen changes it is still on the sketchy side, there is a lot of public housing and old tenements just a block or two away and the area close by is a major shopping street for that crowd. If you don't mind living in an area with a large non english speaking population and an area where most of the people are low income, and the issues that come with that then living there isn't that bad.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
first off grove st is not the waterfront
I was trying to figure that one out myself- last time I checked, Grove was around 6 long blocks from the waterfront, and there was a heck of a lot of tall stuff between the two that would block quite a bit of the view......

Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM

the unit I am getting is 50columbus (50 Columbus) on 30th floor. there is nothing blocking the view.
Maybe I am wrong but I was under the impression that the whole area at downtown JC east of Grove street path, south of Metro plaze is called "waterfront". sorry if it is confusing

Old 01-30-2008, 03:20 PM

53 posts, read 224,742 times
i know a few ppl who recently bought new contruction luxury condos right near you. it's totally fine. it's not technically waterfront, but close enough. that whole area within a year or two is going to look a lot more picturesque once all the constructions are done. You are in an enclave of luxury buildings. I wouldn't worry too much. But as always, in NYC or in JC, you can't walk around oblivious, or like in la la land. In a year or two, all your immediate neighbors are probably similar to you in your salary range and probably urban professionals commuting to NY. That can't be too bad, right? If you bought the place, congratulations! BTW, there are two great brunch places near in Paulus Hook, if you are new to the downtown area. Amelia's is great, and Kitchen Cafe (was better) is ok too. Good luck in JC~

Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks CafeLatte. Just received approval notice from management, I will sign the contract.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 PM

32 posts, read 166,936 times
Quote:
the unit I am getting is 50columbus (50 Columbus) on 30th floor. there is nothing blocking the view.
Maybe I am wrong but I was under the impression that the whole area at downtown JC east of Grove street path, south of Metro plaze is called "waterfront". sorry if it is confusing

I live two blocks away from 50 Columbus. I love the neighborhood. Like any city, you have to be aware of your surroundings. Every so often you'll have teens from other parts of the city causing some problems, but this is rare.

In my opinion 50 Columbus is in a great location...Plenty of restaurants (Ibby's, Hard Grove, La Congita (really cheap Latin American Food), Edward's Steak House is with in walking distance, Swadee on Newark(spelling? Excellent Thai though!). Plus you're only a few blocks from BJ's, Shoprite, Newport Mall, etc...

Old 06-27-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,170 times
Default Moving To Jersey City

The best and safest neighborhood in Jersey city is Paulus hook.hands down, by far! ...just near the Goldman Sachs tower and Colgate clock. (best to look at a map: corner of Hudson and Essex.The area in and around (just 4 blocks each way boasts some of the best views and the best places to live IN jERSEY CITY..... Although the Grove street station is up and coming the area just west ( a hop skip) is not exactly great....that is if you were to walk up Christopher Columbus. I think you should check out Paulus Hook. You will see that quality of life and surroundings are much better , cleaner and much more cival.....especially the fact that the new Paulus hook ferry station is great and shuttles people to mid-town , WFC and wall street! You also have the option of the exchange place path station, ONE STOP TO GROUND ZERO.Two ideal forms of transport....The waterfront is built out to be able to run, bike, or walk...it's amazing.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:08 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Grove Street area is kind of sort of the waterfront. When I tell people where I live who DON'T know JC, I say "right near the waterfront".

The area is awesome...it has literally everything you would want/need in a neighborhood.

For a city, the neighborhood is extremely safe.

Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey