Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 24,951 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was looking for some advice. My downstairs neighbors have made two different complaints against us in the list 4 months. The first time, they stated that they could hear loud footsteps and it sounded like we were jumping rope, etc. We don't jump rope in our apartment (or out of it) and we are pretty much up only between normal hours (7 AM and 11 PM, in bed by 10 most days).

NOW, today, they have complained AGAIN. This time, the apartment manager is stating that it is most specifically the noise in the morning. My boyfriend has recently started a new job he is up by 5 AM and out by 6 AM. The tenant below us gave the apartment manager a WHOLE rundown of our day, stating that someone is up with loud shoes at 4 AM, and disturbing their sleep.

The apt. manager proceeded to tell me on the phone that the woman is a very light sleeper and that we should try to get area rugs and slippers to alleviate the noise. I have no problem with this. My problem is, what happens if we get all these rugs and wear slippers and the woman STILL complains? Then, what?

The apartment manager is stating that if the complaints continue that she will be forced to put carpet in our apartment. How can I stop this madness? I want to talk to the people downstairs but I can see they are passive-aggressive as they haven't come to us at all on this matter, and it has apparently gone on for a while.

What do you guys think? I live in Elizabeth, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 PM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Having lived downstairs from people who didn't have any carpeting, I urge you to get some kind of carpeting in your apartment.

If, after getting carpets, the downstairs neighbor is still complaining, then the management company will probably discount their complaints as needless carping. But, until you cover those bare floors, you have essentially no defense against their complaints about excessive noise.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,951 times
Update:
I talked to the downstairs neighbors and they allowed me to walk around their apartment while my boyfriend walked around upstairs so that I could hear the noise. Turns out - I can completely understand why they can't sleep! It sounds like we are tap dancing on their heads, especially in the bedroom! I told her the last apt manager never mentioned their complaint to us (and they themselves never came upstairs or left a note) so from now on we are definitely going to be more mindful.

Also gonna throw down some area rugs just to be safe.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:39 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsccc View Post
Update:
I talked to the downstairs neighbors and they allowed me to walk around their apartment while my boyfriend walked around upstairs so that I could hear the noise. Turns out - I can completely understand why they can't sleep! It sounds like we are tap dancing on their heads, especially in the bedroom! I told her the last apt manager never mentioned their complaint to us (and they themselves never came upstairs or left a note) so from now on we are definitely going to be more mindful.

Also gonna throw down some area rugs just to be safe.
Yes!! Talking is almost always the best route and too often the last choice.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 PM

256 posts, read 395,332 times
Although you did an admirable job talking to your neighbors, it is still possible that the noise will continue. And it's not because you are intentionally trying to annoy your neighbors. It seems pretty obvious that you want to make things better for them. That's awesome and I wish more neighbors were like you.

Still, if the noise continues despite your best efforts to minimize it, then you and especially your neighbor has to realize that there is nothing more anyone can do. The management can put a carpet and that could help, but again, the neighbors will probably have to move out.

Sounds harsh, but they can't expect you to tip-toe in your own home every time you have to walk, right?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:59 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,613,693 times
Good on you for taking the route of talking with them! Too few people are willing to resolve conflict constructively. You're a good egg Nsccc.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 AM

398 posts, read 977,105 times
OP, I really have to commend you for speaking with your neighbors and trying to see the situation from their vantage point. More often than not, these kind of threads here turn into some sort of a spat between neighbors and that was what I was expecting here - but I am pleasantly surprised! Seriously, you're a VERY good neighbor!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 AM

516 posts, read 999,028 times
I hope your neighbor also sent her husband up there to walk beside your boyfriend so she can hear how her husband's "normal" activity sounds. With the crappy construction going around, make sure if the management company installs carpet, they use proper thick liner, otherwise, the carpet won't do much.

When I lived in an old brownstone, my landlord actually suggested I buy those rubber garage mats (like those gym exercise square) to go under my rugs because regular rugs weren't absorbing the shock enough.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,080,548 times
When I used to live in a first floor apartment my neighbors upstairs often would vacuum at 1am. Yeah, that was fun. That was after they slammed the front door to enter the building and then stomped all the way up the stairs.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsccc View Post
Update:
I talked to the downstairs neighbors and they allowed me to walk around their apartment while my boyfriend walked around upstairs so that I could hear the noise.
is he wearing shoes while walking around?

i had an issue when i lived in brooklyn and a combination of us being more careful and me talking about boxing with the guy alleviated the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey