Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:20 PM

119 posts, read 552,956 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently house hunting. I am from north NJ so I already have my own opinions of what I think are the best towns. I'd like to know what some of you think.

This is important to us because we only plan to buy and live in our first home for 5-6 years so resale is VERY important to us.

How do you feel on these towns? How would you rank them if you were house hunting? All personal opinions welcome! Thanks.

Essex County:
Cedar Grove
Verona
Little Falls
West Caldwell
Caldwell
Livingston

Union County:
Cranford

Morris County:
Boonton
Denville

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,371 times
I absolutely loved living in Cranford. It felt like the town was geared towards working for its people and very helpful in any of the service offices The schools are excellent and continually improving. There are always fun activities planned in the community, as well.

The taxes are pretty high though.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
I would put it roughly this way:

Verona, West Caldwell, Caldwell, Livingston
Cedar Grove
Little Falls
Cranford
Denville
Boonton

But thats just my humble opinion Though, if you're looking in Verona, Caldwell, Livingston, etc, there are a ton of other options throughout Union County and Morris County. Whats your criteria that gave you those towns?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndecost View Post
My husband and I are currently house hunting. I am from north NJ so I already have my own opinions of what I think are the best towns. I'd like to know what some of you think.

This is important to us because we only plan to buy and live in our first home for 5-6 years so resale is VERY important to us.

How do you feel on these towns? How would you rank them if you were house hunting? All personal opinions welcome! Thanks.

Essex County:
Cedar Grove
Verona
Little Falls
West Caldwell
Caldwell
Livingston

Union County:
Cranford

Morris County:
Boonton
Denville

Thank you!!!
before i rate - where are the jobs located and do you have kids who are or will be in the schools?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
As for your Essex choices, I wouldn't buy in Little Falls (I believe it's in Passaic county), not sure about Caldwell. Others have great schools. Livingston probably the most expensive.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 PM

119 posts, read 552,956 times
Default Follow Up to my Question

To answer your questions...

We do not have kids so schools are not important for us; HOWEVER, schools are important for resale and that is what is important to us since we only plan to live in our first house 5-7 years.

I don't really have any criteria that I used to pick these towns. Some I'm familiar with because they're near where I grew up and others I'm familiar with only through our house hunting.

Thanks for opinions.

I'm just curious for opinions so we know what people think for us for resale of whatever house we decide to buy.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
1. livingston, cedar grove
2. verona, west caldwell, caldwell
3. little falls (watch the flood aones!!--main st, down closer to the section near wayne)
sorry,dont really know the other towns

Old 02-01-2008, 06:01 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
I love Booton Township!! The woods, the land, the rocky area, centrally located to highways. Its really beautiful if you got money for a great home!! I also like Morris county and the taxes are low. YOu are near Mountain Lakes so there is your upgrade when you stike it rich. Its really beautiful.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I love Booton Township!! The woods, the land, the rocky area, centrally located to highways. Its really beautiful if you got money for a great home!! I also like Morris county and the taxes are low. YOu are near Mountain Lakes so there is your upgrade when you stike it rich. Its really beautiful.
you crack me up. i've been worried about you - you've been gone for awhile and I was waiting for you to come back and say how much you HATE Morris County now! LOL j/k

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 AM

my rankings - based upon resale value which seems to be most important to you:

1) livingston
2) cranford (nice, cheaper and close alternative to westfield)
3) verona
3) west caldwell
3) caldwell (? not too sure of the diff b/w west caldwell and caldwell)
3) cedar grove (lived there, I'm a tad biased, I love it)
7)denville
8) little falls
9) boonton

but, really, the only one i'd be at all concerned with is boonton. all the others are fine as far as resale value b/c of location. the point spread between 1-8 are very small, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey