Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 21,677 times

Advertisements

This happened a bit more than a month ago, my neighbor's girlfriend backed from the driveway down to the street and hit my dad's parked car so hard that it cracked the bumper. Fast forward to present day, although we filled out the paperwork, called police that night, etc, I got a call from the insurance today and they said that the other person responsible is denying that they hit my dad's car. I argued that we have their information (insurance cards, license, etc) but the counter to that was that they stayed after the incident that "we suspected" they did it. This was right in front of my house. The insurance said that they called the police department but there were no report.

I went to the police department and they said that if we exchanged information with each other, they do not write police reports. The clerk gave me some sort of paper to file to the state and honestly I don't even know what this is going to do for us, the damage is about $800, and the deductible is $750 that we'd have to pay, so insurance is only covering $50.

I'm just looking for advice now, I have the police CAD report, and still have not heard back from insurance after I obtained the report. The report does state what I had reported when I called, my neighbor hit my dad's car.

What else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
if you are only saving $50, i think you are better off not making a claim and having it on your record.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
if you are only saving $50, i think you are better off not making a claim and having it on your record.
But can't I fight it meaning if I somehow prove that they did it, they'd pay for it? Or that's not hoe deductibles work and fault doesn't matter?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
sell her into sex slavery and pay for damages with the proceeds !

Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
This happened a bit more than a month ago, my neighbor's girlfriend backed from the driveway down to the street and hit my dad's parked car so hard that it cracked the bumper. Fast forward to present day, although we filled out the paperwork, called police that night, etc, I got a call from the insurance today and they said that the other person responsible is denying that they hit my dad's car. I argued that we have their information (insurance cards, license, etc) but the counter to that was that they stayed after the incident that "we suspected" they did it. This was right in front of my house. The insurance said that they called the police department but there were no report.

I went to the police department and they said that if we exchanged information with each other, they do not write police reports. The clerk gave me some sort of paper to file to the state and honestly I don't even know what this is going to do for us, the damage is about $800, and the deductible is $750 that we'd have to pay, so insurance is only covering $50.

I'm just looking for advice now, I have the police CAD report, and still have not heard back from insurance after I obtained the report. The report does state what I had reported when I called, my neighbor hit my dad's car.

What else can I do?
For $800 you should just suck it up, move on, and chalk it up to a "s**t happens" event. Pursuing the situation is probably not worth the additional time or stress.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
But can't I fight it meaning if I somehow prove that they did it, they'd pay for it? Or that's not hoe deductibles work and fault doesn't matter?
Since the car was parked, any damage to it is under comprehensive in my experience. But from some internet research some insurance companies call it collision. Anyway, if they admit fault then they would pay. Since they are not, you need proof. If their insurance won't pay, then don't make a claim with your insurance to save $50.

You should have taken pictures of their car and your car right after the incident =(

Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
no damage to their car? no witnesses?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Boy, you have a ****ty neighbor. Condolences.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Crappy situation. It's a "he said, she said" thing now and you basically won't be able to win, or win easily. You can purchase pre-painted bumpers on eBay for $350 or so and they are easy to replace; I would probably just do that and chalk it up as a loss. You could try small claims but it's tough to win a "he said, she said" case without a police report.

I hit a tire on the highway in a Prius and was back on the road with a pre-painted bumper and you really couldn't tell anything had happened.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Since the car was parked, any damage to it is under comprehensive in my experience. But from some internet research some insurance companies call it collision. Anyway, if they admit fault then they would pay. Since they are not, you need proof. If their insurance won't pay, then don't make a claim with your insurance to save $50.

You should have taken pictures of their car and your car right after the incident =(
There was no damage to their car, just my dad's. There were no witnesses, one of my neighbor's cameras cannot see it as it was too dark. I am going to try to use this CAD report for the insurance, and yeah, this neighbor called the police many times and got us tickets for parking in the opposite direction of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey