Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:52 AM

132 posts, read 289,989 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from people who live in NJ if this is possible.
I've tried it, its hard, Im still struggling. I cant afford to have my own apartment.
Im making adjustments as I go by.

I'd like to hear Im not alone in this.
Please share your budget ideas, how to save on cel phone bills, cuponing, thrifting... whatever makes it survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
It's not easy, but it's possible, and you are definitely not alone. You may not be able to afford a fancy apartment, especially in a fancy town like Randolph, but there's things you can do...

- Get a no-frills cell phone plan.

- If you pay a utility bill, be sure to turn off all unnecessary appliances and turn heat/air conditioning down when you leave your place for any significant amount of time.

- Get a solid, reliable, beater car, like a 10-year-old Camry or Accord in decent shape. Shop around for gas using a website like Gas Buddy. Prices vary wildly.

- Pick up a Sunday paper each week for coupons. Most major supermarkets in the area double coupons.

- Find your nearest Aldi's. No other food store offers the good quality items they have for the dirt-cheap prices they charge. Bring your own bags, a quarter for the cart, cash or a debit card, and prepare to save mucho $$$ on food.

- If you have credit card debt, call the banks and nicely ask if your interest rates can be lowered. You'll be surprised how often this works. (Try to minimize credit card debt, however, as it's very easy to quickly drown in the debt.)

- If you watch TV, go for a minimalist cable subscription or a basic streaming Netflix plan. The fancy packages cost lots of $$$.

- If you have yo make a major purchase (TV, furniture, etc.) look for clearance or open-box items for steep discounts. If those aren't options, haggle on the price. Many dealers will play ball on most items (don't expect it to work on an iPhone 6S or a PS4 though).

Good luck...

Old 11-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
It's not easy, but it's possible, and you are definitely not alone. You may not be able to afford a fancy apartment, especially in a fancy town like Randolph, but there's things you can do...

Good luck...
oops just updated my profile info. I no longer live in Randolph of course!!! :-)

Old 11-11-2015, 12:02 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
My parents are frugal. Mortgage/rent aside, since I guess it's obv. you should try to minimize rent, here are their expenses:
- utilities: $100/month
- internet: $30/month
- cell phone: $10/month They use prepaid, Pageplus is $80 a year for 2000 minutes. There are others that are around 5cents a minute. For long calls, they use skype
- gas: $100-$120/month
- food: $400/month

So you're looking at $650/month in fixed expenses for a family of 4. Say you find a place for $1000 a month (if cheaper, you can put that to entertainment or clothes budget), you're looking at close to $20K a year in expenses. It can be done, but you won't have fun. My parents are pretty lame people.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:08 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

- Get a no-frills cell phone plan.

- If you pay a utility bill, be sure to turn off all unnecessary appliances and turn heat/air conditioning down when you leave your place for any significant amount of time.

- Get a solid, reliable, beater car, like a 10-year-old Camry or Accord in decent shape. Shop around for gas using a website like Gas Buddy. Prices vary wildly.

- Pick up a Sunday paper each week for coupons. Most major supermarkets in the area double coupons.

- Find your nearest Aldi's. No other food store offers the good quality items they have for the dirt-cheap prices they charge. Bring your own bags, a quarter for the cart, cash or a debit card, and prepare to save mucho $$$ on food.

- If you have credit card debt, call the banks and nicely ask if your interest rates can be lowered. You'll be surprised how often this works. (Try to minimize credit card debt, however, as it's very easy to quickly drown in the debt.)

- If you watch TV, go for a minimalist cable subscription or a basic streaming Netflix plan. The fancy packages cost lots of $$$.

- If you have yo make a major purchase (TV, furniture, etc.) look for clearance or open-box items for steep discounts. If those aren't options, haggle on the price. Many dealers will play ball on most items (don't expect it to work on an iPhone 6S or a PS4 though).

Good luck...
All excellent suggestions.

A couple more:

Try and keep the heat down lower, even when home, just put on a sweater or two.

Cook as many of your own meals as you can. Dining out and take out are pricey. You can't cook for yourself so much more reasonably.

Buy as much meat as you can fit into your freezer when it's on sale.

If you have storage room, stock up on canned goods, dry goods and paper products when on sale. Shop Rite's Can-Can sale is great for this.

Browse yard sales and flea markets. There are tons of online yard sale sites through Facebook where people sell all kinds of gently used items. Also check out the Salvation Army thrift stores.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:40 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoyeno View Post
I'd like to hear from people who live in NJ if this is possible.
I've tried it, its hard, Im still struggling. I cant afford to have my own apartment.
Im making adjustments as I go by.

I'd like to hear Im not alone in this.
Please share your budget ideas, how to save on cel phone bills, cuponing, thrifting... whatever makes it survival.

$1900, sure it is, but why would you choose to ?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Yes. You will need to cohabitate in some fashion (roommates, significant other, or otherwise). Not possible to afford your own apt in North Jersey on that unless you go west of Dover

- Liability insurance only on a cheap car that gets 20+ MPG (buy with under 100k miles in the 5-7k range).
- split utilities/cable/internet (more then 1 roommates saves a little here)
- No smart phone (or buy/bring a smart phone and only use wifi, dont pay for a data plan). Use one of the cut rate carriers and you should be under $20 a month.
- buy in bulk/on sale where it makes sense to do so (non-perishable)
- think about any repetitive things you can out of your lifestyle that will make a difference over time (smoking, daily DD coffee, buying lunch at work, etc).

Not gonna be living the good life, but can be done. Especially if you are out there a bit in the Dover area.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:45 AM

Im loving all these tips they are very helpful.
I was once without a car for about 6 months.

I learned how to use public transportation in New Jersey, which is really a feat, an uphill battle, since NJ Transit is really unrealiable, with the exception of the private Bus LakeLand, that one safe my life many times during the winter. Luckily Lakeland route goes to where I work!!

I did get to save to buy a car, a 2002 Camry!! It took me six months, the whole winter. I survived. Learned a lot about NJ Transit routes, how they suck, should be another story/thread.

I also bought a bike and did get to use it during the summer time. Saved me $$ on gas. I did not have the courage to use my bike during the winter time, as I hate the cold weather. Maybe I'll work up my courage to ride in the snow someday.

Please keep these ideas coming. Im loving it, Im glad im not alone in this.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:54 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,390 times
You live in one of the most expensive states, you are not alone. People who make more than you are struggling, many leaving the state. I can afford to live here, but it doesn't mean I should. I am looking for ways out.

The High Cost of Jersey: Why we leave | NJ.com

Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM

27 posts, read 26,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
You live in one of the most expensive states, you are not alone. People who make more than you are struggling, many leaving the state. I can afford to live here, but it doesn't mean I should. I am looking for ways out.

The High Cost of Jersey: Why we leave | NJ.com
That's really great idea moving.
however... Im sure the OP wants to talk about surviving on 28K a year in NJ.

Commuting on a bike does help. I've seen many around on route 46 in Kenvil and surrounding areas. Keep it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey