Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Lammius I was wondering not to be a d*ick or anything but how has that area around the the beacon improved over the past few years? It really looks no different except for a fancy new sign advertising the beacon condo loft whatever it is.
Sorry for not replying sooner, this thread fell off my radar. Montgomery Street looks the same. A lot of houses and buildings on side streets are being rehabbed, and it's good to see people investing in their homes, and you see this reflected in craigslist ads haha! Things look similar, and the area isn't winning any beauty awards, but to me it feels less like a dangerous neighborhood than it used to. Then again, maybe I'm just more used to it and don't find it scary anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM

941 posts, read 2,302,503 times
No way would i pay 250,000 - 650,000 for a condo to live around there. Now how about some pics in the evening.

Last edited by mr.man; 02-13-2008 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
No way would i pay 250,000 - 650,000 for a condo to live around there. Now how about some pics in the evening.
Mr. Man, could you point out some things in the pictures that you think are problematic for getting a condo on Montgomery for that price range?

Pictures in the evening won't be easy, and definitely not as comprehensively--that's the entire length of Montgomery on the on side in that thread. I could take some night photos, but it would have to be of things relatively close up. The flash definitely isn't sufficient to light up a large area. You'd need a tripod with the camera set to very long exposure times, and that would take forever to do more than a couple photos and it would be a problem if you're trying to include people in the photos, as they'd just be a blur if they moved, or you'd need a professional lighting set up--as if you were shooting a film.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
One oddity about The Beacon entrance road--razor wire on the left-hand side. Not exactly aesthetically appealing:

What oddity, thats to keep the criminals that live in the projects from stealing and robbing from the Beacon. PS not all the people that live in the projects are criminals.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
Mr. Man, could you point out some things in the pictures that you think are problematic for getting a condo on Montgomery for that price range?
Problematic? I dunno- define "problematic" I guess. What turns me off most about the thought of dropping that much dough on a place like the Beacon is that if I did, I'd like to be able to walk out my front door and stroll a few blocks to a semi-fancy restaurant, a nice coffee shop, or maybe a local book store or something. Somehow, Chicken Delight, the medical center/luncheonette and a check cashing shop aren't what I've have in mind............

Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM

It's filthy, what amazes me is that in certain cities, trash is a way of life, people accept it, who the hell wants to see fried chicken boxes, beer bottles,candy wrappers,drug paraphernalia around where they live.

Like JerseyMan said it's cold so people are not out now, plus these are early day pics so people are at work and school these are not showing when activity is at it's greatest.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
One oddity about The Beacon entrance road--razor wire on the left-hand side. Not exactly aesthetically appealing:
What oddity, thats to keep the criminals that live in the projects from stealing and robbing from the Beacon. PS not all the people that live in the projects are criminals.
How is that supposed to work though? It's only on that particular side of that particular road. Are the "criminals that live in the projects" something like AI videogame characters where they can't figure out how to walk around to one of the other sides?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Problematic? I dunno- define "problematic" I guess. What turns me off most about the thought of dropping that much dough on a place like the Beacon is that if I did, I'd like to be able to walk out my front door and stroll a few blocks to a semi-fancy restaurant, a nice coffee shop, or maybe a local book store or something. Somehow, Chicken Delight, the medical center/luncheonette and a check cashing shop aren't what I've have in mind............
Wait, you're mr.man, too, BobKovacs?

I thought that mr.man was saying that it wouldn't be worth spending that amount on a place anywhere along Montgomery--as in it wouldn't be a wise investment, etc.--not that he just personally wouldn't like it because he didn't like the stores there or something like that.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
It's filthy, what amazes me is that in certain cities, trash is a way of life, people accept it, who the hell wants to see fried chicken boxes, beer bottles,candy wrappers,drug paraphernalia around where they live.
Oh . . . well, that was just on the railroad right of ways. I didn't see much trash anywhere else, really.
Quote:
Like JerseyMan said it's cold so people are not out now,
Right, I'll be taking more as the year goes on, too.
Quote:
plus these are early day pics so people are at work and school these are not showing when activity is at it's greatest.
Ah, so we're worried about the folks who are at work or school during the day?

. . . also, you'd agree that it's at least a safe area during this time of year and time of day? Is that correct?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Do you work for Mayor Healy or something? No way that someone who is planning to relocate has this much love for j city, you don't use good reason, i think you enjoy to cause conflict over such issues, besides the op said she's not moving there, so your crusade to convince us that area is good is in vain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey