Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:27 PM

31,889 posts, read 26,916,776 times

Advertisements

Idea is to give NYC to DC rail one hour service.

NYC to DC in 1 hour? It could happen if bullet train maker gets its way | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:33 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I saw that elsewhere other than nj.com but note this $28.9 is only to "STUDY" the plan, which yes needs to be done first. Also I think it would go in between Baltimore and Washington DC first offering a 15 minute trip there.

I imagine it's easier to fit room for a 300 mph train there, easier than the crowded rail corridors here.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not without a new tunnel.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:00 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,088,841 times
It is good to look forward and to investigate future technologies. But in reality, Maglev is somewhat of a new technology for rail with I think just a few lines in existence in regular service. It is also much more expensive then even high speed rail. This is a pipe dream even with the current congress. The same article has a link to another article about how the House bill wants to strip away federal NJT funding in favor of buses...

I think it would be better to concentrate on speeding up existing trains. The average speed of Acela "express" is currently at third world 65 mph (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acela_Express) due to crumbling infrastructure that was barely updated since Pennsylvania Railroad built it a hundred years ago.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:15 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
the good news is the Fed's did approve 50% funding for the new Gateway tunnel...

Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 AM

882 posts, read 1,669,548 times
Who would this really benefit? Sure it would spur some more tourism (though, given the cost of an Acela train, even NYC to Philly, I can't imagine this would be cheap enough for the average person to use much). But why spend billions on that when day-to-day commutes are so problematic in the area? A high speed bullet train DC to NYC isn't going to give someone living in Montclair an easier train ride to Manhattan. It's not going to alleviate rush hour traffic in Newark or Jersey City or New Brunswick areas. The new tunnels under the Hudson are a must, followed by better service or new NJ Transit lines, and a comprehensive light rail system in Essex, Hudson, and Bergen counties.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 AM

510 posts, read 499,755 times
It would benefit plenty of people. Tons of business is conducted between all the major cities on the East Coast and the fastest way to get to them is by flying, which these days is a huge pain. Getting to NYC to DC within an hour would alleviate lots of air traffic, highway congestion, and yes those of us who can afford it would probably take a high speed train over driving even for non-business travel since it saves much more time.

Local commuting is a different ballgame since it affects an immediate area, but it is definitely an area which needs to be improved upon.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:29 AM

4,151 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Only problem is the budget. I know I know, the fed has a printing press and can print all they needed. Just have to tax you and me on our future earning to pay for it.

Of course, as a tradition, fed will under estimate the time and cost for project by a loooooooooooooooot to get it approved. Once it is approved, it is no turning back. Money will get mis-allocated and no accountability.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Who would this really benefit? Sure it would spur some more tourism (though, given the cost of an Acela train, even NYC to Philly, I can't imagine this would be cheap enough for the average person to use much). But why spend billions on that when day-to-day commutes are so problematic in the area? A high speed bullet train DC to NYC isn't going to give someone living in Montclair an easier train ride to Manhattan. It's not going to alleviate rush hour traffic in Newark or Jersey City or New Brunswick areas. The new tunnels under the Hudson are a must, followed by better service or new NJ Transit lines, and a comprehensive light rail system in Essex, Hudson, and Bergen counties.
These technologies will eventually make their way into every day use. You're complaining about NASA going to the moon without realizing that miniaturizing everything in the space program to use the least amount of power or space led to things like the pacemaker or microwave. When these proven technologies can be dispersed for every day use because people are comfortable with them you'll get every day solutions.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
So when the cost estimate goes cosmic when it meets reality and too far forward to turn back then what? The feds are like crack dealers handing out free samples just before the price goes up.

EPA has a problem with a pipeline but not a rail line thru what's left of NJ's open spaces?

Where does a bullet train exist that goes top speed, especially thru densely populated areas?

Any stops in NJ since it goes from NYC to DC at top speed or is NJ again just a rest stop and roadway between two metro areas? Too many stops and the purpose is defeated.

Invest in a high spped waterline for less environmental impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey