Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 12,002 times

Advertisements

What about Paterson? I heard it was compareable to Newark/Elizabeth/Irvington in just about everything...Has it improved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 01:00 PM

38 posts, read 79,472 times
Have you found a home yet? Where did you end up? I know I'm late to the party, but I noticed something that the other posters didn't. You are going to Newark each day and not New York. That means you can live on the Raritan Valley Line (RVL). The RVL is less desirable than the other lines because most of its trains do not go straight into NYC. Most of them stop and Newark and passengers have to change trains. They literally have to go down one long flight of stairs and up another in order to catch the connecting train on a different track. Commuters find this onerous and the result is that housing prices along the RVL are lower than the other train lines. But since Newark is your destination, it won't affect you at all. I think that Bridgewater is the nicest town on the line, has the largest park & ride, and the widest variety of housing options.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0060.pdf

Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 PM

26 posts, read 29,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame_Murray View Post
Hello I am accepting a transfer from Cleveland OH to Newark. I'll be in a crashpad/motel until I acquire enough to move the family. What are some reasonable priced areas to look in and avoid?

Where are you coming from? Cleveland, OH
Why are you moving? Full Time Employment (United Airlines)
Where will you be working ? EWR
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 1000-1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? 2 Bedroom in fairly safe area...Doesnt have to be Mayberry,(6'2 250+) but dont want my wife and kids ducking bullets.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Wife and 2 kids eventually
Do you need/want good public schools? YES as they get older (6 and 4 y/o)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Families with young children, safe....near stores...No need for bars and entertainment nearby, will travel to NYC for that

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Safety, close to EWR, easy parking
Dont do it.

Stay where you are.

People are trying to escape from this hell hole.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 PM

26 posts, read 29,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame_Murray View Post
What about Paterson? I heard it was compareable to Newark/Elizabeth/Irvington in just about everything...Has it improved?
Actually it has improved... its murder rate.

In 2014, it was the 75th most dangerous city in America.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

In 2015 it was 60th, go Paterson!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
I would drive to airport, I do not think train is that convenient, anyway check out southern
Bergen county, north Arlington, Lyndhurst, Rutherford, and maybe Nutley in Essex county.

they are all safe towns, and close to airport, all are on or across river from route 21
which will take you to ewr.

Lyndhurst and Rutherford have rail lines to nyc, you would have to transfer at either
Secaucus or Hoboken, but not really a big deal.

your rent budget is kinda low, but not impossible in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey