Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
I am doing a study on the exodus of New Jersey. I read that NJ lost some 250000 residents last year and all of my family that live up there either have plans to move within the year or plan on moving out within 5yrs. Whats up with it?
We've lived all over the country, and my personal prospective is you get what you pay for. You want low-crime, great schools, good commute, intelligent people as neighbors, etc. then you have pay more money for it. No offense to others, but NJ has been more friendly and peaceful to live in than any other place to us. I have real neighbors I am actually friends with, not just someone I pass on the street with a wave, but I am friends with them. And it has the great bonus to be able to hop on a train and go right in the NYC anytime we want. As for property taxes, yes, they are higher, but I'm not moving to a state I'm going to be unhappy in just to save a few thousand dollars a year on taxes. People have no problem wasting money on new cars ever few years, spending money on sports, beer, expensive vacations, weddings and all that, but if it is a tax they freak out and do the stupidest things to try to avoid paying it. Cutting off the nose to spite the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:16 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRFalconpunched View Post
Also, I'm still pretty disgruntled over the fact that the state taxed me 40,000 when my mom died. At 21, that wasn't exactly easy to pay off within 9 months.
Sounds like you didn't consult with a good wills and estate attorney, or CPA. I can't imagine what you would be taxed $40K for inheriting money from your own mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey