Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,267 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing advertising for this new beautiful building in the ironbound section. 115 Bruen street. I'm black woman that works in corporate America. I'm getting getting married soon. And my fiancé works in NYC. We're looking for a safe area with a good city commute. I'm from south jersey (mt. laurel) my biggest concern is safety. At least with south jersey and philly I know where to go and where not to go. I'm clueless when it comes to north jersey. The building is beautiful and reasonably priced I'm interested but not at the expense of my safety. Should I pursue this building or leave it alone because of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
I live in downtown Jersey City in a high-rise condo. Our doorman, a great young man from Newark going to college part-time, was mugged, killed and stripped of his clothes after he returned to Newark from his shift at our building. Tremendous tragedy. I think he was 20. Great kid trying to doing the right thing. This was about 6 months ago. While the Ironbound is one of the safer areas in Newark, it is a very dangerous city.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM

68 posts, read 77,095 times
I am familiar with this building, I walk by it everyday. It is a very nice building and the area is NOT bad at all compared to other parts of Newark. Really isn't bad period except for small petty crimes. While the building itself is nice, the area is desolate. It is the only 'luxury' (using loosely) in that area. The best part is your literally 3 - 5 minutes away walking distance to Newark Penn. It is right next to Hells Kitchen Bar and there seems to be more development happening across the street. You will not have to worry about being shot or robbed in this part of Newark. If you have never lived in an urban environment this might be outside your comfort zone.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:03 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I live in downtown Jersey City in a high-rise condo. Our doorman, a great young man from Newark going to college part-time, was mugged, killed and stripped of his clothes after he returned to Newark from his shift at our building. Tremendous tragedy. I think he was 20. Great kid trying to doing the right thing. This was about 6 months ago. While the Ironbound is one of the safer areas in Newark, it is a very dangerous city.
People still get shot, mugged, and killed in parts of Jersey City. Is it also a dangerous city?

Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM

625 posts, read 797,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Really? He lived no where near this. This happened in the north ward.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 PM

There is loads of money being poured into this area. You have 76 Bruen Street that is an even nicer building and is renting for $2500.

You have the button and chocolate factory that has condos that sold for $250,000-$450,000.

You are two blocks from ferry street. The only problem with that area is when you walk to pen station you have to deal with the trash that stays around Peter Francisco Park waiting for a group that comes from Chatham to feel homeless. This brings in a lot of poor druggies that leave all their litter behind and beg for money.

The ironbound section has had about 4-5 murders this year with a population of about 60,000. 3-4 were domestic. Only 1 murder was a bad shooting.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:09 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Only 1 murder was a bad shooting.

Were the other murders...good shootings?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Were the other murders...good shootings?

The others were domestic. Wife stabbed husband who was beating her. Another was a lovers quarrel. Another was self defense.

The one I was referencing was a random shooting.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,442 times
That would be a total 180 from Mt.Laurel. Not sure what your budget is but Harrison has brand new apts right by the path to NY. Also you can check out south Orange, Montclair, Maplewood, Rutherford and many other towns all walking distance to the train.You could even look at towns a little further out. All depends on your budget.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
That would be a total 180 from Mt.Laurel. Not sure what your budget is but Harrison has brand new apts right by the path to NY. Also you can check out south Orange, Montclair, Maplewood, Rutherford and many other towns all walking distance to the train.You could even look at towns a little further out. All depends on your budget.

Harrison would be a 180 from Mt. Laurel.

Do half of the posters on here even know where the Ironbound is or ever driven through it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey