Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
For example in Massachusetts, Worcester is relatively diverse and has a relaxed racial climate and nobody gives two ****s about your race, while Boston there is a somewhat unspoken but very open hostility/ animosity between whites and blacks, and Springfield being in between but with a good amount of tension.
In the 80s and early 90s, I used to get racist comments in public (I'm Asian). Not craaazy often, but it would happen. In diverse places too. Like I said in my previous post, since then as an adult, I've lived in some really homogenous places (mostly not by choice), and rarely have gotten any comments, let alone harassment.

In the 80s, it was a real thing you could cut with a knife, with Joey Fama, and Crown Heights and crap like that. But even then, just mostly the bad apples and kids. I think of racial diversity of a neighborhood less in the sense of "Will I get harassed?" and more in the sense of "Will there be similar people to me and/or women to date?"

Just my opinion from my experiences. But I think in 2015, every place within 30 minutes of Manhattan is gentrified and has luxury condos.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-10-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Another choice, further south, in NJ is Long Branch. While not quite as urban as Newark, it's an older city on the ocean with a significant and growing Brazilian population.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:15 AM

260 posts, read 239,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I don't know about there being animosity against whites in Paterson but I do know that there are tensions between blacks and Hispanics in cities like Plainfield and Paterson. In Paterson Dominicans and blacks have tensions with each other and this is evident among Eastside High students. In JFK High, there is tension between Dominicans and Arabs. Urban places like this have the reputation of being hostile towards whites but nowadays you have minorities against other minorities here so if you are white it is not like they are all going to unite and jump you especially since these communities are already divided amongst their own. In Newark you do have a lot of black pride and if my understanding is correct it seems some of the blacks that live there generally see whites as oppressors, and this is probably due to their history (especially when you take redlining and blockbusting into consideration). I have seen the Black Hebrew Israelities preaching. The BHI believe that blacks, Latinos, and Native Americans are the "chosen people" and that whites are wicked. So just understand there is that mentality of some people here. I have not seen the BHI preach in Downtown Newark lately. Then again I haven't been in Downtown Newark in a while either. Jersey City is just too diverse for there to be too much racism at least I think so. No racial group makes up the majority there. Same thing with Union City only thing with Union City is that even though it is majority Hispanic city you have a mix of Cubans, Ecuadorians, Colombians, Dominicans, Salvadorans, etc you can't have too much racism among the Hispanic community here. I don't know about Passaic.

In Elizabeth Latinos tend to mix with each other more. I say this because when you go to Elizabeth Avenue you see different Latino nationalities although I do know Morris Avenue is Little Colombia. Meanwhile Paterson is more segregated where you have Peruvians in one section, Dominicans in another, Costa Ricans in one side, Colombians in another, etc.

As another poster you are better off just staying in the Ironbound and going to NYC. If you want to experience a Latino enclave in Newark you could just take the light rail from Penn Station to Branch Brook Park near Bloomfield Avenue. There is still an Italian bakery there and a few Italian businesses left of Branch Brook Park on Bloomfield.

Good luck with your move to the Ironbound. It is pretty safe and I am sure you will love it. It reminds me of a Lusophone Astoria.
Thanks for the response. I was wondering about Paterson because in Springfield, I lived in a very predominately Hispanic (Puerto Rican) neighborhood. I never had any issues and the only race-based encounter I had was a guy outside of a corner store who thought he was funny asking me "are you lost?", to which I replied "Nah, I live here. Are you?" which shut him up. The majority of my friends have always been Hispanic. Springfield has not so much tension between whites and Hispanics, but Hispanics moved into the city in droves, which caused all of the white people to move to a more suburban part of the city called Sixteen Acres. The whites felt as though the Puerto Ricans were imposing their culture. There is visible tension sometimes between blacks and Hispanics in the city as well for the same reason. That being said, I was never treated differently and was always invited to parties and gatherings. I currently live in Chelsea which as a city is predominately Hispanic (El Salvadoran) and have never had any issues or even received a funny look. There is A LOT of crime but it is mostly Hispanic on Hispanic and gang related. Paterson to me, reminds me of Springfield. I tend to get on well with Hispanic people as I have more in common with them than I would with a guy who went to Boston College and goes on ski trips with his parents every winter. On any given day, would you see a white person in Paterson or is it just unheard of?

As for Newark, I did actually see what I believe to be BHI preaching on the corner of Broad and Market. Any look I received (only 2 over the course of two days) seemed to me more surprise than an angry "what the f*ck is he doing here??" thing. I imagined as much as far as the black pride thing. It makes sense as Newark is majority black. You can find places like Portland or the rural midwest where there is a lot of white pride. I was just unsure if the pride translates into hostility. I appreciate your insightful answer. As I stated in my first post, I am accustomed to being "the white guy" and people generally seem to like me. But of course if there was an anti-white sentiment, that would not be the case. I'm aware that not every person of any race is racist but nobody wants to go where they aren't welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Lots of white people in Elizabeth, Passaic, and Newark. It's all about neighborhoods as usual in terms of exact demos.

But, just for an example, I used to live in an all black neighborhood in California, and for the whole year that I lived there, one homeless guy called called me a *****. And that was like 20 years ago.

I think that would be the extent of it. You might get some comments from some homeless guys or some kids, but other than that, it'd be fine.

I also spent a year in one of the most redneck, white places you'll ever find, and zero comments the whole year I was there (which kinda surprised me).

Where I live it's really racially diverse, and most people don't interact with strangers. They just go about their own business, go to work, and then home to their families. It's pretty similar everywhere.
I don't expect everyone to be friendly in the Southern type of way, like approaching a stranger and asking them about their day, but one thing I dislike about Boston is that I find the people to be cold, self-absorbed and unfriendly. Which of these cities do you feel would be most laid back and willing to get to know someone new? I'm perfectly willing to reach out as well, but I wouldn't even bother here in Boston. I remember trying to get a gentleman's attention in a CVS because he dropped his wallet. He was just ignoring me (I know he heard me), so I tapped him on the shoulder. He then recoiled and seemed absolutely disgusted that I would touch him. Next time maybe I'll help myself to the contents. I don't expect a "hi welcome to the neighborhood!" but I wouldn't believe if these areas of Jersey were full of people who are offended that you try to share the same air with them and walk around as if they have a potato chip in between their buttcheeks that they're trying not to break.

The people here are just not nice at all.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Which of these cities do you feel would be most laid back and willing to get to know someone new? I'm perfectly willing to reach out as well, but I wouldn't even bother here in Boston. I remember trying to get a gentleman's attention in a CVS because he dropped his wallet. He was just ignoring me (I know he heard me), so I tapped him on the shoulder. He then recoiled and seemed absolutely disgusted that I would touch him. Next time maybe I'll help myself to the contents. I don't expect a "hi welcome to the neighborhood!" but I wouldn't believe if these areas of Jersey were full of people who are offended that you try to share the same air with them and walk around as if they have a potato chip in between their buttcheeks that they're trying not to break.

I don't think you'd really have an issue in any, but Elizabeth is pretty diverse if you are looking to make new friends with your neighbors.

Ironbound is also very cool. If you walk around Ironbound and you've never been to Newark before, it will SHOCK you, there's so many stores, bars, and hot women there, it's ridiculous.

Crime and drugs is an issue in pockets of all the places you named, so look out for that.

No reason whatsoever to live in Paterson and Passaic. They are further from NYC and have less going on.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-10-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't think you'd really have an issue in any, but Elizabeth is pretty diverse if you are looking to make new friends with your neighbors.

Ironbound is also very cool. If you walk around Ironbound and you've never been to Newark before, it will SHOCK you, there's so many stores, bars, and hot women there, it's ridiculous.

Crime and drugs is an issue in pockets of all the places you named, so look out for that.

No reason whatsoever to live in Paterson and Passaic. They are further from NYC and have less going on.
My reason for asking about the two cities is cost. I'd prefer 1000 or less for a 1 bedroom. I pay 1100 now for a one bedroom in a gritty area which is absurd. And public transit is important

Old 12-10-2015, 08:50 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,714 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I was wondering about Paterson because in Springfield, I lived in a very predominately Hispanic (Puerto Rican) neighborhood. I never had any issues and the only race-based encounter I had was a guy outside of a corner store who thought he was funny asking me "are you lost?", to which I replied "Nah, I live here. Are you?" which shut him up. The majority of my friends have always been Hispanic. Springfield has not so much tension between whites and Hispanics, but Hispanics moved into the city in droves, which caused all of the white people to move to a more suburban part of the city called Sixteen Acres. The whites felt as though the Puerto Ricans were imposing their culture. There is visible tension sometimes between blacks and Hispanics in the city as well for the same reason. That being said, I was never treated differently and was always invited to parties and gatherings. I currently live in Chelsea which as a city is predominately Hispanic (El Salvadoran) and have never had any issues or even received a funny look. There is A LOT of crime but it is mostly Hispanic on Hispanic and gang related. Paterson to me, reminds me of Springfield. I tend to get on well with Hispanic people as I have more in common with them than I would with a guy who went to Boston College and goes on ski trips with his parents every winter. On any given day, would you see a white person in Paterson or is it just unheard of?

As for Newark, I did actually see what I believe to be BHI preaching on the corner of Broad and Market. Any look I received (only 2 over the course of two days) seemed to me more surprise than an angry "what the f*ck is he doing here??" thing. I imagined as much as far as the black pride thing. It makes sense as Newark is majority black. You can find places like Portland or the rural midwest where there is a lot of white pride. I was just unsure if the pride translates into hostility. I appreciate your insightful answer. As I stated in my first post, I am accustomed to being "the white guy" and people generally seem to like me. But of course if there was an anti-white sentiment, that would not be the case. I'm aware that not every person of any race is racist but nobody wants to go where they aren't welcome.

I don't expect everyone to be friendly in the Southern type of way, like approaching a stranger and asking them about their day, but one thing I dislike about Boston is that I find the people to be cold, self-absorbed and unfriendly. Which of these cities do you feel would be most laid back and willing to get to know someone new? I'm perfectly willing to reach out as well, but I wouldn't even bother here in Boston. I remember trying to get a gentleman's attention in a CVS because he dropped his wallet. He was just ignoring me (I know he heard me), so I tapped him on the shoulder. He then recoiled and seemed absolutely disgusted that I would touch him. Next time maybe I'll help myself to the contents. I don't expect a "hi welcome to the neighborhood!" but I wouldn't believe if these areas of Jersey were full of people who are offended that you try to share the same air with them and walk around as if they have a potato chip in between their buttcheeks that they're trying not to break.

You see white people in Paterson. You see them in Downtown so it is not like you will never see a white person there. But you do not see the yuppie types unless maybe you are in the Manor District. The whites I see in Paterson are often the blue collar looking types. And then you have the old Italian community still there as well. There is quite a number of Italian cafes, restaurants, and other businesses left in Paterson. Also plenty of people from the suburbs go to Paterson for drugs and prostitution. So it is not even uncommon to find whites in the worst parts either as some of them might be looking for drugs and prostitutes. So I think you should be fine in an area like the Fourth Ward because if you're white at worst they will probably assume you are there for drugs or prostitutes and I doubt a drug dealer or gang member would want to kill what they might perceive as a potential customer.

If you are a white male who is into the hip hop culture I really do not think that should prevent you from making friends here in urban and predominately Hispanic areas. If you are wearing Abercrombie or Hollister and complaining about how your parents only took you to Aspen instead of Switzerland this winter then yeah you will stick out but if your culture is similar to theirs or if you are just "down" with their culture I don't doubt you can make friends and you already have experience with the Hispanic culture. In NJ I would say it is probably more about culture than race.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
My reason for asking about the two cities is cost. I'd prefer 1000 or less for a 1 bedroom. I pay 1100 now for a one bedroom in a gritty area which is absurd. And public transit is important
I would say Elizabeth.

I was looking there and if you saw what I look like, you'd have no problems. Lol.

Another benefit is Elizabeth has the double train line. Two train lines go into NYC, and that is a big benefit.

If you have any doubt, you could also look at Rahway. One town away from Elizabeth, high diversity, low crime, awesome train. You could get way more for your $ in Elizabeth though.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 AM

625 posts, read 796,967 times
Quote:

You can find a nice 1 bedroom for $1100, easily.

I rent mine out for $1100 and it is new.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
You see white people in Paterson. You see them in Downtown so it is not like you will never see a white person there. But you do not see the yuppie types unless maybe you are in the Manor District. The whites I see in Paterson are often the blue collar looking types. And then you have the old Italian community still there as well. There is quite a number of Italian cafes, restaurants, and other businesses left in Paterson. Also plenty of people from the suburbs go to Paterson for drugs and prostitution. So it is not even uncommon to find whites in the worst parts either as some of them might be looking for drugs and prostitutes. So I think you should be fine in an area like the Fourth Ward because if you're white at worst they will probably assume you are there for drugs or prostitutes and I doubt a drug dealer or gang member would want to kill what they might perceive as a potential customer.

If you are a white male who is into the hip hop culture I really do not think that should prevent you from making friends here in urban and predominately Hispanic areas. If you are wearing Abercrombie or Hollister and complaining about how your parents only took you to Aspen instead of Switzerland this winter then yeah you will stick out but if your culture is similar to theirs or if you are just "down" with their culture I don't doubt you can make friends and you already have experience with the Hispanic culture. In NJ I would say it is probably more about culture than race.
This is great! Haha thank you. Yes, I am into the hip hop culture. I grew up in an urban area (I prefer to call it having humble beginnings). I did my fair share of dumb things but I left that behind. Now, I'd just like to think of myself as a normal dude who is trying to get by and feels comfortable in the city. I'm trying to get away from the Abercrombie and Fitch crowd, and I've never been to aspen or outside of North America. My dad left when I was 4, and my parents both worked on an alligator farm in Florida before moving back to Toronto to have me. I don't work in a blue collar profession but make a modest income (less than 40k but more than 30), but I don't get along with the Starbucks drinkers. Most people I have good interactions with are mailmen, truck drivers, people of that sort. My hopes are to find somewhere gritty enough that yuppies don't want to touch it, but not so much that there's a strong likelihood of unprovoked violence on the level of a place like Detroit or Camden, for New Jersey's sake. Of course, you can be a victim of anything at any time regardless so it's important to stay aware, which is no problem. I have no desire to hang with dealers and gangbangers and for the most part, have avoided trouble. As long as I can feed my family I'm good.

Jobaba, I'll have to visit again and see Elizabeth. I met a group of people from Elizabeth when I was clubbing in Worcester one night and they seemed real cool. We hung out and hit on girls for the rest of the night. They actually approached me saying "you look like a fresh white dude, see that group of girls over there?" And the rest was history. I had Rahway on my radar as well. How long of a commute to Newark or NYC on the train there? I just want my girlfriend to be able to get to Ironbound and me to be able to get to work.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,714 times
Quote:
This is great! Haha thank you. Yes, I am into the hip hop culture. I grew up in an urban area (I prefer to call it having humble beginnings). I did my fair share of dumb things but I left that behind. Now, I'd just like to think of myself as a normal dude who is trying to get by and feels comfortable in the city. I'm trying to get away from the Abercrombie and Fitch crowd, and I've never been to aspen or outside of North America. My dad left when I was 4, and my parents both worked on an alligator farm in Florida before moving back to Toronto to have me. I don't work in a blue collar profession but make a modest income (less than 40k but more than 30), but I don't get along with the Starbucks drinkers. Most people I have good interactions with are mailmen, truck drivers, people of that sort. My hopes are to find somewhere gritty enough that yuppies don't want to touch it, but not so much that there's a strong likelihood of unprovoked violence on the level of a place like Detroit or Camden, for New Jersey's sake. Of course, you can be a victim of anything at any time regardless so it's important to stay aware, which is no problem. I have no desire to hang with dealers and gangbangers and for the most part, have avoided trouble. As long as I can feed my family I'm good.

Jobaba, I'll have to visit again and see Elizabeth. I met a group of people from Elizabeth when I was clubbing in Worcester one night and they seemed real cool. We hung out and hit on girls for the rest of the night. They actually approached me saying "you look like a fresh white dude, see that group of girls over there?" And the rest was history. I had Rahway on my radar as well. How long of a commute to Newark or NYC on the train there? I just want my girlfriend to be able to get to Ironbound and me to be able to get to work.
Perth Amboy would probably be perfect for you. It is about 80% Hispanic and does not look like it will be gentrified anytime soon, except for maybe a small part of the waterfront. Only thing is it is far from Newark like maybe about 30 minutes. But maybe it would be a good place to chill especially since it is really not too crime ridden. A friend says he could walk at 1 am or 1 pm in Perth Amboy and still feel safe. If you are into Hispanic food you could try Perth Amboy, Union City, Elizabeth Avenue in Elizabeth or of course Paterson.

The rent is not so bad either in Perth Amboy at least not in my experiences. I know someone who pays 1,000 for a 2 BR apartment and its a nice remodeled apartment. The area that is in is a kind of gritty but safe neighborhood. I don't know whether it is common to pay such rent in Perth Amboy though with the conditions like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey