U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:46 AM

260 posts, read 164,594 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this is my first post on the forums but I have been using this site for quite sometime. I want to give a little background about myself and this is a serious question, but a long post so please bear with me. I would really appreciate anyone's help. I am 22, white and work in an office. My girlfriend is Brazilian (a relatively recent immigrant) and she is pregnant with our first child.

I currently live in Massachusetts, currently residing in Chelsea (next to Boston) and I grew up in a rough area of Springfield. Both cities are diverse, and have a reputation for being high-poverty and high-crime. However, I feel more comfortable in urban areas and I take these areas for what they are, good and bad. I actually enjoyed living in Springfield quite a bit. I am conservative, but I do not generally engage in political discussions and I am fine with left-leaning people as long as I don't feel like their beliefs are being shoved down my throat. I am comfortable with diversity (I have been the token white guy in rough neighborhoods for most of my life) and I can get along with pretty much anybody. I do not look like an easy target, and I know how to handle myself/ what to look for in urban areas. I've never been assaulted or robbed. I have a pretty low fear of crime but I stay alert. The point is just to establish that I am not in any way a yuppie, or an artsy type who wants a hip place to live. I'm just a normal guy from the city, likely to catch me in a T-shirt and sweats when I'm off work. I just wanted to give you a picture of who I was because these topics generally tend to turn into a racial/ political discussion but that is not what I'm looking for.

That being said, the Boston area is gentrifying quick. Chelsea is on its way as well. Her and I earn a modest income and I received a relatively normal education from a state school (no Ivy League for me). Luxury condos are being built up close by, houses are being renovated, and I fear the rents will rise and my girlfriend and I will eventually get priced out of the city. That, along with the fact that I generally find Massachusetts citizens to be arrogant and the state to be ridiculously liberal, but thats beside the point.

Newark, I am aware, has a very large Brazilian population in the Ironbound section. I've done all the research I needed to do. I can take my job to NYC, we can find plenty of rentals within our budget (she works as well), and we would like to be in or close to Newark because while I can take my job and adapt anywhere, I want her to feel comfortable and have a network of friends and work as well.

That being said, our plans are to move to NJ in the near future. I'd preferably like to pay less than 1000 (although I can afford that or a little more) because I pay 1100 to live in a rough area now, which is outrageous. We absolutely want to live in an urban area, I do not feel comfortable with my child being around elitist liberals, Whole Foods shopping, Starbucks drinking artists and the like, these are the people we are being priced out by and want to get away from. While I'm aware they are everywhere, they are the majority in Boston.

Instead of continuing to ramble on, I'll cut to the chase. What is the racial climate in cities like Newark, Elizabeth, Paterson, Passaic, etc. Even a review of each individual city would be great. Before anybody scoffs at what a dumb question this is, it is a very real question. If you're smart, chances are you know that the racial climate is not the same everywhere. For example in Massachusetts, Worcester is relatively diverse and has a relaxed racial climate and nobody gives two ****s about your race, while Boston there is a somewhat unspoken but very open hostility/ animosity between whites and blacks, and Springfield being in between but with a good amount of tension. Will these areas be shocked/ hostile towards a white family? (my girlfriend is light-skinned with dark brown eyes and looks like she could be half latina/half white but mainly speaks Portuguese). I visited Newark recently for 2 days, and aside from the occasional side-eye, I did not have any problems, but living somewhere is different. I have no problem with the largely minority population provided that these places are not the type to single out or target a white person.

I am aware a thread like this was posted but my family dynamic and reason for moving is different. And I also do not feel like his question was answered very well. But anyone's insight and preferably personal experience would be great. There are a few types of people who's answers I will NOT appreciate: if you are just going to scoff or pick apart the question, if you're someone who looks at the city with binoculars from the suburbs- occasionally going to pick up food in the city and then telling everyone what a terrible place it is to live, if you're one of those "there's no such thing as a nice area of Newark/Paterson etc. people (there's nice areas everywhere), if you're someone who would accuse me of being racist for asking this question and pretends race never matters anywhere (because chances are you're a suburbanite whose never set foot in a city before college) or if you plan on turning this into a political or racism debate. I just want to know how accepting each of these areas would be of a white family moving in?

If you read all of that, thank you for reading and I hope I can contribute to other discussions in the future. This type of topic gets tempers flared up and I'd appreciate if everyone can keep it as friendly and constructive as possible with me and each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 08:02 AM

566 posts, read 507,086 times
I live in the Ironbound. Be careful with Brazilian women. Too many horror stories.

They come over here and shack up with a young American and take all their money. Please be smart if something doesn't seem right.

I've heard of many guys going to Brazil and never coming back and never heard from again.

If you are a young guy that is making a lot of money and you are getting a woman that is 10x better looking than you...please be careful.

Many of these guys end up in credit card debit of $100k+. Some just turn over their pay checks when they get them. Please please please be smart and careful.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
I live in the Ironbound. Be careful with Brazilian women. Too many horror stories.

They come over here and shack up with a young American and take all their money. Please be smart if something doesn't seem right.

I've heard of many guys going to Brazil and never coming back and never heard from again.

If you are a young guy that is making a lot of money and you are getting a woman that is 10x better looking than you...please be careful.

Many of these guys end up in credit card debit of $100k+. Some just turn over their pay checks when they get them. Please please please be smart and careful.
Haha no, I understand. I'm too smart for something like that. She's not 10 times better looking than me, she works and pays for things equally. I make a modest income, as does she. I just want to know if there's an animosity towards white people in the aforementioned areas. I want to go to the area because I want her to be comfortable and I want to get away from the Latte McFakeBlonde culture of Massachusetts.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM

880 posts, read 1,173,215 times
Quote:
Latte McFakeBlonde
LOL. That made my morning, thank you.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
Haha no, I understand. I'm too smart for something like that. She's not 10 times better looking than me, she works and pays for things equally. I make a modest income, as does she. I just want to know if there's an animosity towards white people in the aforementioned areas. I want to go to the area because I want her to be comfortable and I want to get away from the Latte McFakeBlonde culture of Massachusetts.

You'll be fine in the Ironbound. Plenty of Latte McFakeBlonde's with Brazilian women. Just go to Adega and you'll see them.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
You'll be fine in the Ironbound. Plenty of Latte McFakeBlonde's with Brazilian women. Just go to Adega and you'll see them.
We visited the Ironbound (and a good chunk of the rest of Newark) recently and she loved it. Newark or any urban area of that sort isn't somewhere you just move to on a leap of faith. I myself found Ironbound be a great neighborhood as well- very vibrant. It made me happy to see her be able to go into a shop and be able to speak Portuguese and have someone speak it back to her. The food at Brasilia Grill was great, but I found it interesting that they add a tip to your bill. Is that a Jersey thing? I've seen it in Florida but not something you see in Massachusetts. Ideally we will live in Ironbound, but of course we can not live in a bubble. We will have to venture out to other parts of the city at one point or another. Downtown had a good selection of retail, although a lot of it is low-end. It's a very gritty environment, others have referred to it as predatory. I didn't find it particularly hostile, just unattractive. Forest Hill was very nice, and even the less well-off area of the North Ward out on Broadway was okay, it reminded me of Springfield, Mass.

Referring to my original post, I'd like to know about the race relations in other neighborhoods and cities as well so we have alternatives. If I had my heart set on one neighborhood in one city I could be setting myself up for disappointment if nothing is available. It's a long post but if someone would be able to provide real insight on that, that'd be great!

Anyone?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 AM

431 posts, read 249,268 times
OP, you seem pretty wound up. You could probably use a massage. We have lots of good massage parlors in Newark. You should come here and get a massage.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
We visited the Ironbound (and a good chunk of the rest of Newark) recently and she loved it. Newark or any urban area of that sort isn't somewhere you just move to on a leap of faith. I myself found Ironbound be a great neighborhood as well- very vibrant. It made me happy to see her be able to go into a shop and be able to speak Portuguese and have someone speak it back to her. The food at Brasilia Grill was great, but I found it interesting that they add a tip to your bill. Is that a Jersey thing? I've seen it in Florida but not something you see in Massachusetts. Ideally we will live in Ironbound, but of course we can not live in a bubble. We will have to venture out to other parts of the city at one point or another. Downtown had a good selection of retail, although a lot of it is low-end. It's a very gritty environment, others have referred to it as predatory. I didn't find it particularly hostile, just unattractive. Forest Hill was very nice, and even the less well-off area of the North Ward out on Broadway was okay, it reminded me of Springfield, Mass.

Referring to my original post, I'd like to know about the race relations in other neighborhoods and cities as well so we have alternatives. If I had my heart set on one neighborhood in one city I could be setting myself up for disappointment if nothing is available. It's a long post but if someone would be able to provide real insight on that, that'd be great!

Anyone?
The downtown is changing daily. It's not a place you can walk comfortably right now. Stick to the Ironbound and jump on the Path to go to NYC or wherever else.

The downtown needs a year or two still.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
OP, you seem pretty wound up. You could probably use a massage. We have lots of good massage parlors in Newark. You should come here and get a massage.
Not at all, but thanks for playing

Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 AM

66 posts, read 43,914 times
Not too familiar with Paterson so I cannot truly elaborate on it. I would stay clear of the fourth ward section tho.

Newark- its more about classism than racism. If your white and come from an urban environment you know how the politics are. Stick to what and who you know, watch what you say, and always keep your eyes open. Unfortunately, you can be a victim of anything regardless of what your race is. If your looking for more diverse areas (not only black) the ironbound and north newark would be ideal.

Elizabeth- Loads of Brazilian, polish, Hispanic immigrants. Crime is nothing compared to Newark as a whole. Would recommend midtown (broad st, westfield ave) because of ease to train.

In Urban NJ the racism isn't as prevalent as the suburbs cause everybody is struggling (if you get what i mean). Your more likely to find ppl who dislikes cops or politicians then you are somebody worrying about a young white dude. Like you mentioned above if your not a yuppie and have street sense you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or