Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 PM

220 posts, read 379,467 times

Advertisements

As a homeowner I personally don't mind having "hipsters" or anyone willing to spend $ move into my town. If it drives up sales, retail, revenue for the town and spurs on the opening of new businesses and restaurants, why not? It'll ultimately be good for the value of my home and hopefully make the schools more competitive as well, which to me is more important than keeping whatever "charm" or "character" the town has in some absolute vacuum for infinity and beyond.

And I find it hilarious that people who live in these so-called up and coming towns get so upset when the hipsters do move in, as if they were the first ones ever to have discovered this gem of a town. I'm sure your predecessors felt the same way when your demographic moved in, so take a chill pill, you're not in any way a pioneer.

Now if I were a renter, I can understand why people would get upset w/ the rising costs, but let's be practical here. You want to live within minutes commuting of one of the biggest and most successful metropolises in the world at rock-bottom prices? That's not reality and to expect otherwise is foolish and at best naive.

It's unfortunate people get priced out of communities, but that's what happens in a capitalistic society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf723 View Post
As a homeowner I personally don't mind having "hipsters" or anyone willing to spend $ move into my town. If it drives up sales, retail, revenue for the town and spurs on the opening of new businesses and restaurants, why not? It'll ultimately be good for the value of my home and hopefully make the schools more competitive as well, which to me is more important than keeping whatever "charm" or "character" the town has in some absolute vacuum for infinity and beyond.

And I find it hilarious that people who live in these so-called up and coming towns get so upset when the hipsters do move in, as if they were the first ones ever to have discovered this gem of a town. I'm sure your predecessors felt the same way when your demographic moved in, so take a chill pill, you're not in any way a pioneer.

Now if I were a renter, I can understand why people would get upset w/ the rising costs, but let's be practical here. You want to live within minutes commuting of one of the biggest and most successful metropolises in the world at rock-bottom prices? That's not reality and to expect otherwise is foolish and at best naive.

It's unfortunate people get priced out of communities, but that's what happens in a capitalistic society.
You're probably taking about me and some others who have posted on the subject. I don't care at all that people move from Brooklyn, hipsters or not. I think in many cases, they're making the right decision, especially if they have or want to have a family. However, I do kind of care (not to the point where I will say something to them about it and stir up drama, I just find it kind of annoying) when they come here and find it's actually a nice place to live, and act all surprised about it. There's more to life than New York City. There's more to life than Brooklyn. There are other cool, nice places that people choose to live where they can still enjoy the city without astronomical COL and unfortunate lack of space.

My town has been booming lately since new developments and awesome businesses have moved in. I find this great. Semi-annoying, as it's basically impossible to go out to dinner on a weekend night in my own town anymore, but hey, it's good for the town. And I'm seeing more and more New York plates here, which I think is cool. There was a time when my town was seen as not very cool. Charming, nice, with a nice downtown, but it wasn't as popular as it is now. It WAS possible to go out to eat on a Saturday night without having to attempt to go to multiple places and find a 60-90 minute wait at most of them. It was nice for us living here, but maybe not as nice for the town overall. So I like the changes. I just wish people would kind of be more respectful. A lot of people like to put down NJ, especially New Yorkers, specifically transplants to NYC. But as people are finding out, it's really not all that bad, and yes, we have some really cool and fun downtowns with a good atmosphere. It shouldn't be surprising because despite stereotypes, NJ is actually a very nice, urban state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey