Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

Story of a young family's search for decent housing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/re...caucus-nj.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
BARF! They are the EXACT demographic I am trying to run away from. The are literally infesting EVERYWHERE.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Typical transplants. "Moved to New York four years ago" and now all surprised about NJ and how it's actually not bad to live here. Uh huh. Reminds me of the total hipster couple I met at a bar in my town, Cranford, last month. They were from Brooklyn and their friends recently moved here and loved it, swore the weekend bar scene was good, and convinced them to go bar hopping with them downtown. Brooklyn hipster couple (very nice people btw) was really enjoying my town and having a great time at the bars. They said to me "yeah we're surprised it's so nice and trendy here." I smiled and agreed that it's very nice, crowded and trendy, but inside I'm like... seriously? What'd you think it was on the other side of the river, miles of farmland? Nothingness? Nothing cool, nothing "hip" and popular? There's more to life than the overpriced New York City. Reading that article, the prices for what you get are ridiculous. I would never live there unless I was rich or seriously seriously love the place I find and think it's 100% worth it. Otherwise... it's not (IMO). Even coming just across the river can be great, worth it, and still give you all the perks except living there/being there 24/7. It's especially great to move here once a couple starts a family. I'm glad they like it though.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:32 PM

exactly, Jerseygirl! I feel bad for you people in Jersey getting all these suburban reject "Brooklynites" into your towns and cities. That said, I am trying to get the hell out of Brooklyn and back to NJ at some point, but i'm originally from there and I swear I will never utter the word "brooklyn" which to my ears has become synonomous with smug pretentious awfulness. There's also nothing truly trendy about these turds, they're corny bearded and cankled sheep if anything.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
They'really coming to Asbury Park also!

Old 12-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Yup. And that used to be a great place where gay people moved!!! Now breeders are invading there and farting out their DNA and making it unliveable for people who don't like living in romper rooms. It's really sad what is going on.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
exactly, Jerseygirl! I feel bad for you people in Jersey getting all these suburban reject "Brooklynites" into your towns and cities. That said, I am trying to get the hell out of Brooklyn and back to NJ at some point, but i'm originally from there and I swear I will never utter the word "brooklyn" which to my ears has become synonomous with smug pretentious awfulness. There's also nothing truly trendy about these turds, they're corny bearded and cankled sheep if anything.
Haha I don't necessarily mind that they're coming here, they can just sometimes be very annoying about it. This couple was very nice and down to earth but I don't doubt they were transplants to NYC themselves. Too fitting of the hipster mold to be native New Yorkers/Brooklynites. Didn't meet their friends who did actually move here, though, as they were inside the bar and we were sitting outside with Brooklyn couple by the fire pit the bar has. Apparently though Brooklyn to New Jersey couple like it very much here. Perhaps they will convert/convince Brooklyn hipster couple to move here, as well.

Some people living in NY (especially transplants in the outer boroughs) tend to act pretentious and like they're so much better for living in "the city", but honestly I wouldn't want an expensive 1 bedroom 5th floor walk-up apartment when I can live in NJ in a house with a yard and access to the city in an hour. It'a really not that bad, and I much prefer it here with space and a nice, quiet neighborhood. But that's just me. Not only are they pretentious in general but some of these people are among the worst NJ haters when they've probably never actually even been here, and are probably originally from some podunk Midwestern or Southern town or "city" anyway.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:53 PM

They love to put down people from Jersey and Long Island. It's a form of self-hatred because they know people from Jersey and Long Island are way more NY than their skinny pimpled hairy asses from the suburbs of Boise ever could be. I really really really really REALLY miss the website Diehipster! Such a refreshing breath of air in the oversaturated mommyblogging society of today's current internet.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Smells like an ad for Harmon Cove. (and incidentally smells are what you get in that part of Secaucus. No more pig farms, but the swamp still smells pretty swampy)

And seriously, you move to Harmon Cove and do a bus commute?

Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 PM

hahahaha. The meadowlands swamps smells like fresh baked bread and roses compared to the Gowanus on upwind days. Although I have no clue if what I smell these days is the actual canal or crap-filled diapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey