Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,483 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! Sorry I'm new and I've looked at this thread and I couldn't find anything for young professionals. I am a mid 20 year old professional who recently got a well paying job in NYC. I currently live in South Jersey but I am going to have to relocate closer to NYC soon and I wanted to get opinions on East and North Brunswick. I was looking to rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment with my college roommate who also is a young professional who works in central Jersey. I wasn't looking to break the bank on rent, but I wanted to live in a nice neighborhood that is close to a good nightlife scene, somewhere that's close to all the action, but not where we'll be living in a neighborhood with nonstop parties. Any information would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:23 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Both of those towns are strip mall towns. Suburban sprawl. Neither is geared towards young professionals. If you want nightlife you'll need to go to New Brunswick, but even that is mostly a college bar scene.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Both of those towns are strip mall towns. Suburban sprawl. Neither is geared towards young professionals. If you want nightlife you'll need to go to New Brunswick, but even that is mostly a college bar scene.
Agreed about East and North Brunswick.

However, IMO, for someone in their mid 20s, New Brunswick is fine. There are a lot of young professionals and graduate students there. The college bars are sorta separated from the non-college bars.

It's not great, but there's really no better scene for a mid 20s person outside of NYC, Philly and Jersey City and Hoboken.

The Jersey Shore scene is very homogenous and obnoxious and you have to drive drunk to go everywhere. Towns like Westfield and Princeton are too stuffy and yuppie for someone mid-20s and you also have to drive drunk.

Morristown also has a decent scene , but I never think of it as so, because I grew up near there.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 AM

104 posts, read 139,815 times
if well paying job in nyc then please look at grove st / newport / exchange place / hoboken / weehawken . they are very close to nyc . less time spent in travel. great night life. plenty of singles . match for your age group. you can get a place to stay on sharing basis.

from brunswicks to nyc is atleast 40 mins .

Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post
if well paying job in nyc then please look at grove st / newport / exchange place / hoboken / weehawken . they are very close to nyc . less time spent in travel. great night life. plenty of singles . match for your age group. you can get a place to stay on sharing basis.

Beats everything else in NJ by a mile and a half.

Becoming too pricey though.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post

I would stay away from Newport. It's practically a suburban town within JC, though you wouldn't know it by all of the high-rises. It's pretty quiet and not great for singles...lots of families with young kids and not much immediate nightlife or great restaurant options. Plenty of young professionals DO live there, but if you care more about nightlife and stuff being right at your doorstep, Newport is not your answer. Same with Exchange Place, maybe a little less so. Grove St. is where it's at in JC. Also, Hoboken probably won't gel with his request that he doesn't want to be surrounded by a "non-stop party" all of the time. Washington St. is practically a frat house row, with all of the negative connotations that come along with it. In comparison, Grove St. seems much more "mature" if you will.

However, OP said that he wants to room with his friend who is working in Central Jersey (where in Central Jersey? I don't know, but that info would be helpful). That's why he is looking around the Brunswicks. So, with that said, I agree: "No" on East or North Brunswick, but definitely look into New Brunswick.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:08 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I would stay away from Newport. It's practically a suburban town within JC, though you wouldn't know it by all of the high-rises. It's pretty quiet and not great for singles...lots of families with young kids and not much immediate nightlife or great restaurant options. Plenty of young professionals DO live there, but if you care more about nightlife and stuff being right at your doorstep, Newport is not your answer. Same with Exchange Place, maybe a little less so. Grove St. is where it's at in JC. Also, Hoboken probably won't gel with his request that he doesn't want to be surrounded by a "non-stop party" all of the time. Washington St. is practically a frat house row, with all of the negative connotations that come along with it. In comparison, Grove St. seems much more "mature" if you will.

However, OP said that he wants to room with his friend who is working in Central Jersey (where in Central Jersey? I don't know, but that info would be helpful). That's why he is looking around the Brunswicks. So, with that said, I agree: "No" on East or North Brunswick, but definitely look into New Brunswick.
I agree with all this. I lived in Jersey City (Grove St.) for many years. Newport is basically a ghost town at night. Never much happening there. And it seems to be a predominantly Asian/Indian community for the most part, which may or may not appeal to you. Unless things have changed dramatically over the years, Exchange Place has even less going on. I agree about Hoboken too. It's an overcrowded, frat party, mess. I used to see people literally vomiting in the street on a random Friday night. During the St. Patrick's day parade a few years ago, people were arrested for urinating off rooftops. I just don't see the appeal at all of living there. As Trump would say "It's a disaster"

Old 12-23-2015, 12:15 PM

I kind of think of them all as the same. Just downtown Jersey City.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:48 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I agree with all this. I lived in Jersey City (Grove St.) for many years. Newport is basically a ghost town at night. Never much happening there. And it seems to be a predominantly Asian/Indian community for the most part, which may or may not appeal to you. Unless things have changed dramatically over the years, Exchange Place has even less going on. I agree about Hoboken too. It's an overcrowded, frat party, mess. I used to see people literally vomiting in the street on a random Friday night. During the St. Patrick's day parade a few years ago, people were arrested for urinating off rooftops. I just don't see the appeal at all of living there. As Trump would say "It's a disaster"
Current resident of Newport here. Personally, I would say there is more going on around Exchange Place than Newport, especially if you expand just a few blocks further out to include Paulus Hook. Newport's biggest asset by far is the mall, but that doesn't really help in the nightlife department aside from the movie theater, if you count that as nightlife. I wouldn't say that Exchange Place is too bad overall. Grove St. area is still considerably better though IMO.

There is a big demand/market for what Hoboken offers. You may not see the appeal of living there, but PLENTY of people do. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I have friends in Hoboken and go out there sometimes. If I was single, I'm sure I would enjoy it more. It's just, for the most part, the wrong "crowd." It seems like 90% of the people there are incredibly douchey/bitchy yuppies who grew up with silver spoons in their mouths and turn that attitude up to 11 once they get a few drinks in them.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:14 PM

The appeal of Hoboken 'back in the day' when I lived on Grove Street is that Grove Street still had a lot of working class minorities at the time and hadn't become fully gentrified yet. When I lived there, people still were wondering if it was safe to walk back home from Grove Street path. Hoboken on the other hand was fully gentrified and safe.

Nowadays, Grove Street has basically become Hoboken. I'm not even sure if the rents are that much of a difference now. Back in the day, it was a lot more expensive to live in Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey