Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:46 PM

230 posts, read 666,520 times

Advertisements

In Florida most of the cars you see on the roads(at least in Broward County), are fairly new so I have never seen or heard of problems. I find most people to really take pride in their cars and maintain and clean them often. Perhaps the warm weather has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingRidgeMom View Post
The original reason for car inspections was for our caring state to make sure that the cars we drive were safe on our roads and to protect the enviroment and reduce pollution emissons. I certainly don't see any success story here with perhaps the amount of people it employs. A total waste of time and money because many people are given misdiagnosis's of their "car problem" and go to have fixed, only to find out from their mechanic there is no problem.

but how is it a money maker for the state?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The day I arrived at the motor vehicle department to test for my driver's license, I asked what procedures I had to undertake to become licensed. The employee proceded to take my NJ driver's license, snip the upper left hand corner from it, then told me to go in front of the camera. 10 minutes later, I was a licensed New Mexico driver. I was astonished at the ease behind the process. Not only that, there was only one other person in the motor vehicle department building at the time.
That was my experience at the NJ MVC too, when I moved here from VA (although there were a few more people there, but I got through very quickly!). I expected to have to take a test in NJ law or something, but they just looked at my ID documents, punched a hole in my VA license, and gave me a NJ license.

I honestly don't see how not having vehicle inspections is a plus. For some people they may result in repair work that costs people money. But they also keep people from driving death machines that will fall apart and kill themselves and other people on the highway. I'm just glad that in NJ the inspection takes 5 minutes and is free of charge. In VA it often took hours and there was a state inspection fee.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That was my experience at the NJ MVC too, when I moved here from VA (although there were a few more people there, but I got through very quickly!). I expected to have to take a test in NJ law or something, but they just looked at my ID documents, punched a hole in my VA license, and gave me a NJ license.

I honestly don't see how not having vehicle inspections is a plus. For some people they may result in repair work that costs people money. But they also keep people from driving death machines that will fall apart and kill themselves and other people on the highway. I'm just glad that in NJ the inspection takes 5 minutes and is free of charge. In VA it often took hours and there was a state inspection fee.
Agree..just ride around in some of those states with no MV inspection..dam scary at what you see driving on the roads
They are only inspecting for basic safety..tires, brakes, signals, lights and yes emissions
If you buy or lease a new car in NJ you don't have to do it the first 4 years

Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM

It's just my personal opinion and one of my dislikes I posted on NJ and I happen to disagree that inspections do much other than waste my time having lived in another state like Florida where it is not done. Perhaps if the employees were highly trained to actually correctly diagnose a real valuable safety problem, I may re think my opinion(and what doesn't the state or government not make money at that is run by them?)

Last edited by BaskingRidgeMom; 02-07-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: spelling errror

Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
It's just my personal opinion and one of my dislikes I posted on NJ and I happen to disagree that inspections do much other than waste my time having lived in another state like Florida where it is not done. Perhaps if the employees were highly trained to actually correctly diagnose a real valuable safety problem, I may re think my opinion(and what doesn't the state or government not make money at that is run by them?)
parsons runs the inspection stations, not the state.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:16 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
People

Dislikes:

Taxes
Taxes
Taxes

Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM

332 posts, read 990,205 times
Quote:
(and what doesn't the state or government not make money at that is run by them?)
Well, since the state does inspections for free they clearly don't make any money on them.

Quote:
In Florida most of the cars you see on the roads(at least in Broward County), are fairly new so I have never seen or heard of problems. I find most people to really take pride in their cars and maintain and clean them often. Perhaps the warm weather has something to do with it.
I wouldn't say that Broward County is representative of the entire state. Go to the panhandle and see what kind of rustbuckets are passing for vehicles. However, people in Broward County (and all places near the coast) clean their cars often because if they didn't they'd turn into a pile of rust rather quickly. The reason that most of the cars are newer is because despite their best efforts at cleaning them, the salt air eats the cars in a matter of about 5-10 years anyway.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM

416 posts, read 1,713,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I honestly don't see how not having vehicle inspections is a plus.
I think it's a plus ethically. It's wrong to require this to drive, in my opinion.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM

The original post was NJ likes and Dislikes and I gave my personal likes and dislikes. I think I need to add another dislike about NJ: people who think they know it all and don't respect others opinions! LOL Wow NJ hostility is fierce. Boy do I miss my palm trees. I can only speak for where I lived in Florida for 15 yrs, not just vacationing, but living in the community. Real personel experience and I still do not like or agree with car inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey