Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times

Advertisements

the cheapest legal weapon i have found to carry is a good full can of wasp spray. its not illegal to have and it will shoot a far better aimed stream up to 30 feet. its works much better than any pepper spray you can buy. pepper spray is also 5 times the price. heck, it may not be legal to use it in the aforementioned manner but as one other poster said its better judged by 12 is better than carried by six. you can buy it any supermarket, home depot ect ect. its not illegal to possess a can of wasp spray in any state in your car or house. usually when you get hit with pepper spray you will recover with a water rinse off. this is not the case with wasp spray. you must seek medical attention to stop the effects of the spray. as an added bonus you can tell the police to check the local hospital for the perpetrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
NJ officially prefers you submit to thugs peacefully, sacrifice your life if necessary to maintain the laws.

All Justice and law enforcement effort is back end loaded to prosecute after the fact, not protect, except by setting an example of those successfully prosecuted. Which works out so well.

Do your part, obey the laws, ignore your survival instincts and let it happen. Otherwise you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Bad PR if it gets out NJ residents feel the need to carry weapons for self protection. What do you need protection frm in NJ????? Some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. Obama said the places with the toughest guns laws are the safest.

Note that the feeling of vulnerability is not equally distributed across the state, it is specific to predictable areas.

Better to ask why are gun toting repeat offenders, gang members, street thugs and career criminals exempt for gun laws in NJ?? Why don't they feel threatened by the 3 yr mandatory and harsh punishment?

Like Bernie getz, you'd have to prove you were being assaulted. Use any object, it will be considered a weapon. Use it before you sustain an injury and you will be prosecuted and considered paranoid and worse.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:33 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The only weapon you can legally carry in NJ is a lawyer.

if you are a gang member/drug dealer or career criminal not connected to a recognized and surveiled gang, NJ law exempts you from the normally required FID, addtional pistol permit application and a NICS check. The 3 year mandatory imprisonment rule can be waived if it helps to advance a prosecutor or activist judge's politcal career.

NJ gun laws are designed to catch administraive violaters and generally discoutrage gun ownership even though the current federal administration says, " you can keep your guns if you like your guns. PERIOD!

FBI NICs Background Check FAQs

"How does the FBI NICS system work?

Once a dealer and buyer are ready to conclude a transfer, a retailer can perform the NICS checks by contacting the FBI system directly by telephone needs to do the following:
  • Call a NICS operator by toll-free number and confirm his identity together with his FFL number and dealer-selected password.
  • Provide the operator with the name, date-of-birth, sex and race of the potential buyer as well as the type of transfer – handgun or long gun. A buyer who has a common name may, at his option, may provide his Social Security number to make the check finish faster.
  • The system will confirm the data against its database of prohibited persons. If there is no "hit," the sale is approved. The system will assign a NICS Transaction Number (NTN) for the approval. The dealer will log the NTN in the form 4473, and then the transfer can proceed.
  • Partially completed forms 4473, in which a proposed sale has been denied, is required to be retained by the FFL per BATF regulations.
  • When a "hit" occurs, the seller will receive instructions to delay the transaction. A "delay" response shows that the check resulted in information that will require further review by an analyst, that will contact the dealer by return call "within a few hours" the FBI says.
While the law states that it provides three business days for the FBI to respond, the FBI anticipates that virtually every delay is going to be handled within a day. If records require further investigation, the FBI might take up to 72 hours to issue either a proceed or a denied response. There is, however, an appeals process for purchasers who feel that they were denied in error, and dealers are given forms for the process.
If you have been denied purchase visit our Denial Appeals Process page."
Picked up a new handgun last week. Got to the dealer around 10 AM. He gets on the phone for my NICS check, 2 hours 10 minutes later I was cleared.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
You are not legally allowed to carry any weapons in New Jersey.

Unless you are the Police.

Or State police S.O.R.A licensed security guard.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 65,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
the cheapest legal weapon i have found to carry is a good full can of wasp spray. its not illegal to have and it will shoot a far better aimed stream up to 30 feet. its works much better than any pepper spray you can buy. pepper spray is also 5 times the price. heck, it may not be legal to use it in the aforementioned manner but as one other poster said its better judged by 12 is better than carried by six. you can buy it any supermarket, home depot ect ect. its not illegal to possess a can of wasp spray in any state in your car or house. usually when you get hit with pepper spray you will recover with a water rinse off. this is not the case with wasp spray. you must seek medical attention to stop the effects of the spray. as an added bonus you can tell the police to check the local hospital for the perpetrator.
This is very bad advice. Wasp spray is illegal to use for self defense (which it literally cites the federal laws on the can), and for good reason. Not only does it contain poison, but it can constrict the airways (MUCh more so than pepper spray) and kill the person.

If it's a life and death situation, then grab whatever you can. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. But I wouldn't plan on using wasp spray for basic self defense.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:41 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Picked up a new handgun last week. Got to the dealer around 10 AM. He gets on the phone for my NICS check, 2 hours 10 minutes later I was cleared.
Good for you. (No, I don't mean that sarcastically.) But you realize that's not at all the same thing as being able to carry your gun, so as to be able to defend yourself with it?

This is one of two main reasons I refuse to give up my PA driver's license. I still can't carry in NJ, but I can in PA, and even better, I don't need permission from the state to buy my handguns. (Or rifles, or ammo.) If you can pass the NICS check, you should never need a piece of paper from the state giving you permission to exercise a right. Yeah, I know, that's not the reality here, but sometimes gun owners from states like NY, NJ and CA forget exactly how much we're put upon.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
NJ officially prefers you submit to thugs peacefully, sacrifice your life if necessary to maintain the laws.

All Justice and law enforcement effort is back end loaded to prosecute after the fact, not protect, except by setting an example of those successfully prosecuted. Which works out so well.

Do your part, obey the laws, ignore your survival instincts and let it happen. Otherwise you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Bad PR if it gets out NJ residents feel the need to carry weapons for self protection. What do you need protection frm in NJ????? Some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. Obama said the places with the toughest guns laws are the safest.

Note that the feeling of vulnerability is not equally distributed across the state, it is specific to predictable areas.

Better to ask why are gun toting repeat offenders, gang members, street thugs and career criminals exempt for gun laws in NJ?? Why don't they feel threatened by the 3 yr mandatory and harsh punishment?

Like Bernie getz, you'd have to prove you were being assaulted. Use any object, it will be considered a weapon. Use it before you sustain an injury and you will be prosecuted and considered paranoid and worse.
Thank you.

I was about to say... In NJ, that folding knife and pepper spray you can buy at the counter at AutoZone..
Are weapons...
And you can do 5 years if ever caught with it.
Have to talk to the police? Got a pepper spray on you? Maybe on your keychain or wallet, cop sees it when you get your keys or ID? You're getting arrested.

2C:39-5 like candy. But there are many more.

This is The Prison State, it's not cool here...

Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 976 times
Reading the responses makes me feel like Alice after she went down the rabbit hole. Honest and law abiding citizens in New Jersey are expected to acquiesce to being the victims of violent crime in order to satisfy the draconian state laws that criminals have never and will never follow? My God...this is the definition of insanity. As a politically moderate CCW permit holder and armed Pennsylvanian, I am relieved that I live in a state where I can protect myself and my family.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Joe View Post
Reading the responses makes me feel like Alice after she went down the rabbit hole. Honest and law abiding citizens in New Jersey are expected to acquiesce to being the victims of violent crime in order to satisfy the draconian state laws that criminals have never and will never follow? My God...this is the definition of insanity. As a politically moderate CCW permit holder and armed Pennsylvanian, I am relieved that I live in a state where I can protect myself and my family.
When my husband retired from the military, he got a good job in New Jersey, and he wasn't at all happy with the gun laws. He did figure out hot how to legally own guns there, and joined a hunting club which had a shooting range. Sad, but it had to be enough.

He gave a couple of pieces to his dad in PA. It wasn't difficult to transfer ownership.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:16 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
I am happy that NJ has very strict anti gun laws. I would be more scared of out of control, out of shape NJ residents shooting someone for no reason that on actual criminals. It seems that the high profile shootings all happen in the states with lax gun laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey