Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,518,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Rams View Post
Right, like criminals actually follow the law. I'm all for background Checks, but other than that, if someone passes 1 they should be allowed to have anything they want. Remember, criminals will always be able to get them illegally anyway.
Is it really that easy to get an illegal gun? If you don't travel in criminal circles what are you gonna do, go down to your local illegal handgun dealer on the corner? Some kid in my town, (good student in HS all that stuff) went down to Paterson with an "acquaintance" to buy a handgun, (no one can really figure out why) and ended up getting shot in the neck.
Just like they rob people in some neighborhoods selling iphones on Craigslist, if you're gonna buy an illegal gun you gotta go to a pretty bad neighborhood to find one. Know anyone that hangs out in bad neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,518,132 times
To the OP in addition to pepper spray, particularly if you walk at night try one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

I admit it's a little pricey but if you hit the button on the side the flashing strobe will blind anyone, maybe not good defense against a gun but if you blind someone it gives you a chance to get away. Or the lens end is quite sharp it you struck someone with it, it can be also changed out to one that's smooth.

For a flashlight a little more reasonable and smaller there is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/J5-Tactical-V1...ashlight&psc=1

it fits in you hand but doesn't have the convenience of the side button to activate the strobe.

Self defense lessons would give you a little more self confidence of you could fit them in your schedule too.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM

245 posts, read 308,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Here is another thing those states have in common, a core of citizen where education is far more important than who gets to be a part time citizen protector with their carry weapons.

It's right there in your post, that's where all the smart people live.
Even though your stats on that may be correct, I don't think that necessarily vindicates the "smart peoples'" opinions on gun control. I've worked with some VERY smart people in NYC and have lived amongst some VERY smart people in wonderful NJ suburbs. The problem is that their academic success often causes them to live in bubbles. Whether that be the bubble of the suburbs or the bubble of Manhattan (or trendy areas of Boston, etc...). Often in areas so expensive that no "bad people" can afford to live anywhere near them, or in places like Manhattan where there are police every 50 feet. And to quote Dennis Prager: the smarter you are, the more likely you are to spend years being brainwashed by Ivory Tower professor who themselves have never set foot in the real world.

Even though they may be brilliant in their particular area of study, such as medicine or accounting, they often display a child-like ignorance regarding anything else. (My father was a doctor, but all of my friends fathers were cops, firefighters, ex-military, etc. so I can sort of play in both the white-collar and blue-collar arena.) It was quite amazing to me that these great champions of the welfare state did not know all of the different ways that people "work" the system, by getting double-pensions from the city or exaggerating their disability. Those were stories I had heard a million times growing up in the city.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 PM

32,758 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
I hope they never allow concealed carry in NJ. Even though I do have a concealed carry permit in NC because it is more dangerous living here with all the nut jobs who have permits.

Be careful what you wish for in NJ because more legal guns means more murders, more accidental shootings, more kids getting access to dads gun and shooting a friend. This happens frequently in NC and not just the cities, stupid gun owners live everywhere. Even in NJ.

BTW when I travel back to NJ I leave my gun home and feel safer in NJ without a gun then I do in NC with a gun. It's all about your paranoia tolerance.
No one? My husband carried a gun for a living, was very well trained, and even he couldn't get a CC. He worked for Homeland Security at one point. That job didn't require a weapon, so no go.

Carrying a slingshot in your pocket is illegal in NJ. By God, you night bruise someone.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,295,665 times
Just had another child get hold of dads gun yesterday in NC.

How many NJ kids killed this year in gun related accidents?

More guns equals more deaths, It's not rocket science people.

3-year-old child dies after accidental shooting at Lumberton sto - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 PM

93 posts, read 129,421 times
Quote:

3-year-old child dies after accidental shooting at Lumberton sto - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather
If OP is only 3 years old, then I agree he shouldn't carry a gun.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 2,228,897 times
Don't ask, don't tell?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:43 AM

7 posts, read 12,911 times
If you carry a briefcase or backpack with office supplies, a letter opener can be about as good as a knife. Also a good sharp mechanical pencil can be useful. Also if possible carry a hard blunt object that could do some serious damage if you swung it at a perp. Also practice fighting techniques with a buddy in your free time. No one is coming to our defense except ourselves.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:08 PM

32,758 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:

You owned a gun when you lived in New Jersey. None of your kids died.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Is it really that easy to get an illegal gun? If you don't travel in criminal circles what are you gonna do, go down to your local illegal handgun dealer on the corner?
If you don't travel in criminal circles, it can be a problem. You gotta ask your shadiest friend and get them to ask their shadiest friend. But most criminals do travel in criminal circles, so they don't have that problem.

Quote:
Some kid in my town, (good student in HS all that stuff) went down to Paterson with an "acquaintance" to buy a handgun
When I was in high school, someone I knew got arrested for running guns. I could have had an illegal gun then easier then than I can now. If you're in high school and aren't a criminal yet but want an illegal gun, ask whoever it is that's supplying the school with drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey