Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 10,395 times

Advertisements

My 14 month old daughter is going to start going to daycare next month, I visit several daycare centers but end up between lightbridge in Rutherford or Bright horozions in lyndhurst. I really like both places, but can't decide which one will be my best option... Please, any suggestions???

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:51 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,832,073 times
Our Lightbridge isn't in Rutherford, but I assume the chain does the same thing everywhere. We had just seen better teachers at other daycares, these were young, just out of college with not a lot of experience and a lot of turnover every few years. We're of the opinion that the costs weren't going to the teachers but the administrators and chain owners and that we wouldn't get our money's worth.

Two months later the Lightbridge in town was found to be running a baby fight club.
Day care workers charged with running toddler ‘Fight Club’ | New York Post

I'm sure they're a lot stricter about who they hire and how much they watch over them these days, but it was something that you don't want to find out about from any day care. Best of luck.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Thank you so much for the reply! Do you know any preschool in the area that you would like to recommend?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:40 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,067,254 times
You are lucky to have a choice between Lightbridge and Bright Horizons. I would go with Bright Horizons just because this by now is a huge day care provider. They also support back up care for a number of major corporations so they are not likely to do something weird and are probably very standardized in all their centers. They might be a bit too careful but honestly you want that for such a small kid. My son spent one summer in their camp like program in Fishkill NY and we were happy for the most part.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llmp View Post
Thank you so much for the reply! Do you know any preschool in the area that you would like to recommend?
Unfortunately not, we're a lot further south along the Garden State these days and when we lived in the area we were over in Belleville and sent our kid to the Education Station in Bloomfield, which is a pretty fair distance for you to go every day for day care.

But they were really wonderful as well if you wanted to make that 30+ minute drive with traffic.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Thank you so much everyone. And you are right I really want them to be really careful with my daughter...

Old 01-11-2016, 05:11 PM

Thank you! Its such a hard decision to make. I think we are probable going to go with BH. Hope we are make the right decision!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM

516 posts, read 999,254 times
Does that BH have the camera feed? That's a good way to check in the first few weeks when your daughter is transitioning. My son went to a different BH for a while and several coworkers use BH now (in Jersey City and NYC, obscenely expensive, but they are very happy) and here are what we observed among our 3 locations.

Pros:
- Classes are consistently run below max size, so more teacher to go around than in other schools. Not sure if this is intentional in all schools or just because the ones we used were so expensive they couldn't keep the school filled.
- Teacher turnover low to none, but student turnover was higher than I'd like. They actively move the child up to the next "grade" on the child's age, even if it is during the school year vs moving the whole class up at a time. So we see new faces and lose familiar faces often.
- Daily activity/progress reports, often with photos.
- Reasonable sick return policy. I think just 24 hours fever free and you can return. Unlike my son's school now, which requires a doctor's note for EVERYTHING. I can't tell you how many days I took off to take him to the dr's just to pay for the stupid note.
- Kids are happy to go to school

Cons:
- I personally found that they are a stickler for rules and have lots of liability clauses for things they won't do. Which can be great for the average kid because care is standardized but my kid had feeding issues and they cited their liability clauses for pretty much everything I asked them to try. My kid ended up in the hospital for dehydration because he just wasn't getting enough formula throughout the day (like 0 to 1 oz over 10 hours?). Again, I'm not blaming them, but just understand that they don't seem to be very flexible if your child ends up needing more specialized care.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Does that BH have the camera feed? That's a good way to check in the first few weeks when your daughter is transitioning. My son went to a different BH for a while and several coworkers use BH now (in Jersey City and NYC, obscenely expensive, but they are very happy) and here are what we observed among our 3 locations.

Pros:
- Classes are consistently run below max size, so more teacher to go around than in other schools. Not sure if this is intentional in all schools or just because the ones we used were so expensive they couldn't keep the school filled.
- Teacher turnover low to none, but student turnover was higher than I'd like. They actively move the child up to the next "grade" on the child's age, even if it is during the school year vs moving the whole class up at a time. So we see new faces and lose familiar faces often.
- Daily activity/progress reports, often with photos.
- Reasonable sick return policy. I think just 24 hours fever free and you can return. Unlike my son's school now, which requires a doctor's note for EVERYTHING. I can't tell you how many days I took off to take him to the dr's just to pay for the stupid note.
- Kids are happy to go to school

Cons:
- I personally found that they are a stickler for rules and have lots of liability clauses for things they won't do. Which can be great for the average kid because care is standardized but my kid had feeding issues and they cited their liability clauses for pretty much everything I asked them to try. My kid ended up in the hospital for dehydration because he just wasn't getting enough formula throughout the day (like 0 to 1 oz over 10 hours?). Again, I'm not blaming them, but just understand that they don't seem to be very flexible if your child ends up needing more specialized care.
Thank you so much for this detailed information. And no this center does not have the camera feed, that was one of the reasons I was leaning towards Lightbridge because they do have the cameras... Do you think all BH have the same policy?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:20 AM

I think camera feeds aren't as useful as the sales brochure makes them out to be. Do you really have time during your workday to look at a webcam feed of the classroom? Even if it's just on in the corner how useful is it going to be when it covers the entire classroom and you need to scrutinize the shot to see which one's your kid?

I want to trust my daycare provider in the first place so I don't have to watch them all day and check up on them. Do you put out a nannycam when you get a babysitter or just hire the right sitter? The camera feeds didn't help prevent baby fight club, it was their cell phone videos that got them in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey