Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 PM

691 posts, read 1,422,570 times

Advertisements

Radio in NYC, especially rock music, is horrible. 101.9 sounds like a crappy version of the already crappy K-Rock, so I suggest that everyone get satellite, I have sirius and the rock channels on there blow FM out of the water. Now I never listen to FM except for when I am driving back and forth to college, since I don't have a car piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,434,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
I have sirius and the rock channels on there blow FM out of the water. Now I never listen to FM except for when I am driving back and forth to college, since I don't have a car piece.
I have a Sirius I can dock at home or take in the car.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,182,390 times
All the smooth jazz stations across the country are horrible. No matter what city you're in they play the same old crap over and over. Kenny G, Sade, Boney James. They don't even play a variety of songs by these artist. They just play the same old 1 or 2 songs by each of these artist. Sometimes they'll play Marvin Gaye but only Sexual Healing and nothing else. Good bye forever, and don't come back.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 AM

16,934 posts, read 12,483,813 times
I really really REALLY dislike the RIAA. Remember their position is that you dont own your legit CDs. You need to purchase a copy for every different format you wish to use music in... At least until the govt in a rare moment of sense, made them reconsider.

Now they want to raise fines for pirates up to 1.5 million for a compilation CD. Murderers, rapists, and child molesters get smaller fines. I own a small mountain of CDs, ALL originals, none copies, but Id cheer for a pirate over those ******* any day of the week.

It takes a special kind of heinous to make me cheer for law breakers.

RIAA. A special kind of heinous.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,646,278 times
otto, you forgot to mention that RIAA, because its so concerned with artists getting paid and all (excuse for the fines), is attempting to lower payout to artists for legally downloaded music.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM

16,934 posts, read 12,483,813 times
There is one grave I will surely dance upon. The record companies'.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:11 PM

110 posts, read 547,328 times
There's one place for jazz in NJ. WBGO, Newark Public Radio 88.3FM. Real jazz. It's a gem. People tune in from all over the world via the internet stream. Give it a try, you'll forget CD 101.9 very soon.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,352,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Holy Saxophone Batman! I loved that station! What's going on? Did they not pay their taxes or something?
Truely sad.....
Not exactly taxes but I don't think the station billed well compared to what a rock station might. In radio you can have decent ratings but if you're not billing well then there's no point in keeping that format. Conversely you can have a Don Imus, who doesn't pull in massive amounts of people, but gets sky high dollars in advertising that would offset whoever isn't listening.

And if anyone in the NY/NJ area is jonesing for country music, keep a close eye on 92.3 in the coming days/weeks.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 AM

110 posts, read 547,328 times
CD 101.9 is one of many stations to change its format due to the People Meter. It more accurately measures audiences.

It's changed the Philly and Hartford market as it's shown urban audiences to decrease (Hip Hop Power 104.1 in hartford is now alternative rock). It's hurt older audiences as the People Meter shows increased measurement of younger audiences. Just this past week in Boston, AAA formatted WBOS switched to Alternative rock as well.

While I would have preferred smooth jazz, CD 101.9's format change is right inline with the rest of the county. This is just the begining.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,646,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
And if anyone in the NY/NJ area is jonesing for country music, keep a close eye on 92.3 in the coming days/weeks.
I wouldn't be surprised. I still won't listen, since the current playlist is about as interesting to me as country music will be - but hopefully there will be a place for O&A somewhere, since thats the only show I listen to anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey