Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:25 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times

Advertisements

On $70K and needing a car and an apartment, with leftover $$ for traveling, you would be best off looking for a furnished room with roommates for less than $900 all utilities included. Buy a used car with cash (I don't know if you can get a loan) that you could sell for almost the same price when you return to Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:29 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM87 View Post
Thank you for your Feedback!
I'm female, turning 29 soon and will be moving just by myself.
The project location is woodcliff lake. It would be great to have an accommodation somewhere between the job and NYC.
The company pays 80% of health insurance but I haven't found out any other benefits yet.
I don't mean to be greedy, just trying to find out how expensive life in NJ really is since my current lifestyle is quite different. I have no transportation costs (everything by bike), no car, I live in the most expensive German city but as far as I heard and read, NJ and NY are far more expensive (apartment, food, etc). So that's why it's very helpful to read your habits and fixed expenses (eating out, cell, car, some further insurances, etc), so I can calculate everything.
Woodcliff Lake is North Jersey and in the pricier areas, I think mass transportation is essentially non-existent and NJ, (basically the US) isn't really bicycle friendly. I'm not sure if there are many rentals there. Like someone else suggested, finding a share situation might work well. If you find someone age and lifestyle compatible, it would help with expenses and you might end up with a friend to help show you around. Maybe look for a furnished room at first until you get established. Hopefully they are giving you something for relocations costs, for when you first get here.
You don't sound greedy, you sound like you want to be sure before you get here. It's going to be a shock, car insurance is very expensive. Compared to Germany gas isn't though, but then if you've been bicycling it's still going to be a big expense. The whole car thing is probably going to take 10% of your income (or more) per year, amortizing the cost of the car itself.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM87 View Post
Thank you for your Feedback!
I'm female, turning 29 soon and will be moving just by myself.
The project location is woodcliff lake. It would be great to have an accommodation somewhere between the job and NYC.
The company pays 80% of health insurance but I haven't found out any other benefits yet.
I don't mean to be greedy, just trying to find out how expensive life in NJ really is since my current lifestyle is quite different. I have no transportation costs (everything by bike), no car, I live in the most expensive German city but as far as I heard and read, NJ and NY are far more expensive (apartment, food, etc). So that's why it's very helpful to read your habits and fixed expenses (eating out, cell, car, some further insurances, etc), so I can calculate everything.

I can't speak to housing in or near Woodcliff Lake, but NJ Transit has a Woodcliff train station. Sounds like you want to spend time in Manhattan. That train goes into Hoboken. You can either get on the PATH train at Hoboken in to the City. Or, you can switch from one NJ Transit train to another in Secaucus to go in to the City.

See schedules at New Jersey Transit - Home Woodcliff Lake train is on the Pascack Valley line of NJ
Transit.

There is also a ferry at Hoboken in to the City. It's more expensive, but nice to take.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Not too long ago I was living on $70,000 per year in NJ. It really wasn't bad. I had a decent car (a Volkswagen Passat leased for $329/mo), a decent living situation ($1,300/mo for a reasonably nice one bedroom in a train-town), and had no trouble paying the bills and actually saving some money. I wasn't rolling in money, but I never had to avoid going out to eat or going to the movies or whatnot. It was plenty.

I make considerably more now but have added a wife and kids that I support and I feel as though I'm less well off than when I was single earning $70k.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
$70k is liveable but barely comfortable giving the high cost of rents.

$70k is roughly $55k after taxes and more than likely 1/2 of your paycheck goes towards rents and utilities.

You will probably have $1000 left for food and fun after spending on a car and other expenses.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Can't compare this to Europe, but in the U.S. you will likely have to pay not only the first month's rent right away, but also a month & a half security deposit (which will be returned to you at the end of your lease if the apartment is maintained in good condition.)

Since I assume that you have no U.S. credit rating than be prepared to show a letter to any potential landlord from your employer to prove your salary & that you are employed.

Apart from rent there will also be gas & electric (probably PSE&G, but could be other provider.)

You may want cable TV and/or internet (that's another expense.)

You may need a different cell phone (another expense.)

Odds are that you'll get an unfurnished apartment & so furniture, cooking utensils, bedding, etc. is another expense.

Depending on where you live you may have to drive a car. In a lot of areas of NJ one has to drive to the train station, supermarket, etc. You may have to drive to work if there's no public transportation between home & work. We have to drive everywhere. There are some exceptions to that.

It's not impossible that you could bike between home & work, but NJ is very highway / car oriented. The route between home & work may not be safe to bike through.

If you have a car than you are required to have car insurance (another expense.)

Don't forget the cost of food.

If your employer doesn't offer health insurance than you'll have to purchase it yourself.

If employer does than at least some of the cost will likely be deducted from your pay. That's a good question to ask them.

Depending on the health insurance, whether through employer or not, & your need for doctor appointments & prescriptions, than that could be another expense to consider.

Don't want to scare you away from NJ, just want you to be aware of the reality. I'm sure living & working here would be a wonderful experience for you.

Last edited by daliowa; 01-15-2016 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
$70k is liveable but barely comfortable giving the high cost of rents.

$70k is roughly $55k after taxes and more than likely 1/2 of your paycheck goes towards rents and utilities.

You will probably have $1000 left for food and fun after spending on a car and other expenses.
Maybe if you're renting at a rate above your means, are wasteful with PSE&G and have a top tier cable package you don't need...

I live more than comfortably on my own on an income in that general range in Bergen County.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Maybe if you're renting at a rate above your means, are wasteful with PSE&G and have a top tier cable package you don't need...

I live more than comfortably on my own on an income in that general range in Bergen County.
Same with me. It is more then fine. Pretty comfortable. Its certainly enough to afford everything you need to afford, travel, and save some money.

Rent should be $1100-1200 for a 1BR. $250 for utilities/cable/internet. If just in the US for 3 years, buy a used car in the $5,000-8,000 range. Will be fine for the duration and no need to go nuts, especially since you didn't drive in Germany. $100 a month for car insurance.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM

370 posts, read 1,369,737 times
You will be fine. That particular area is a bit expensive but you could look in Westwood, NJ for an apartment. The town is very close to where you will be working and there are a decent amount of rentals. There is a nice downtown and train to get you to Hoboken (has many bars, restaurants and younger people) or continue on New York City for exploring and weekend fun.
You would need a car but you could probably lease a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic or something close to that for a small monthly fee. Car insurance is expensive in NJ but the less expensive the car you lease the cheaper the insurance will be.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Westwood is a great suggestion. There are apartment complexes and multi-family rentals there, friends of mine rented a nice sized 1 BR right near the train station and downtown for $1,100 a month.

Leasing a car might also be an option if you can find a lease with terms that align with the time you'll spend in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey