Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,619,902 times

Advertisements

she deceased now but thats the apt she grew up in she was married in St ALOyousious and I Know I spelled that wrong lol My Dad grew up on Britton street his father was into politics also he was a McGovern. My sisters and brother were born there I was not. I remember visiting byt was only allowed on te front stoop. So you were raised there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM

the pictures kinda look like how I remember it........but I dont think they were taken in the really bad sections. They are rebuilding JC from what I hear.....which is nice. Good job Rat!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
she deceased now but thats the apt she grew up in she was married in St ALOyousious and I Know I spelled that wrong lol My Dad grew up on Britton street his father was into politics also he was a McGovern. My sisters and brother were born there I was not. I remember visiting byt was only allowed on te front stoop. So you were raised there?

Yes, I went to St Aloysisus Grammar School & Dickinson HS
How old was your Mom? Sorry she has passed.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM

she passed at age 63 in 92 so she would have been 78 in May thinking she was a bit older than you lol

Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
she passed at age 63 in 92 so she would have been 78 in May thinking she was a bit older than you lol
Yes, actually she would be closer to my Dad's age. Were your brother & sister born in that apt on Duncan Ave?? Did they go to PS 17?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM

no they were in another apt I am not sure but I think on Kennedy Blvd and they moved to Pequannock when they were toddlers. My granparents were furious they were purchasing a home outside the city. They told them $16,000 for a brand new home in the boonies wasnt worth it. That house went for almost $500,000 about 4 years ago!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
no they were in another apt I am not sure but I think on Kennedy Blvd and they moved to Pequannock when they were toddlers. My granparents were furious they were purchasing a home outside the city. They told them $16,000 for a brand new home in the boonies wasnt worth it. That house went for almost $500,000 about 4 years ago!
They just didn't get that the city was falling apart..My grandmother passed away back in 1980 at 80 years old..until a few months before she died she would take that grocery cart and go to the Safeway on Old Bergen Rd..she lived on Danforth....starting to go down hill not wise for an 80 yra old woman

Tried to get her to live with us in Toms ERiver...that's where my parents fled to..but she wouldn't leave JC..she's still there for eternity..Holy Name Cemetary on Westside Ave....you can see the office for the cemetary in Desert rats pics..the one of Montgomery at Westside Ave

Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM

My Granparents are paternal granparents are buried somewhere in JC am not sure where but my sister said it was a real bad section....sad I doubt anyone goes there. You lived in Toms River? I love it there.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
My Granparents are paternal granparents are buried somewhere in JC am not sure where but my sister said it was a real bad section....sad I doubt anyone goes there. You lived in Toms River? I love it there.

yes for awhile but grew to hate the summer traffic.
just about every cemetary in JC is now in a bad Area....Bayside down by Garfield being the worst area...
If I'm in JC I'll stop by as my grand mother is in the old section closer to Westside Ave...that plot goes back to 1860 I think..the closer you get to the projects and Rte 440 the more dangerous the cemetary becomes..sad

Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
Quote:
the pictures kinda look like how I remember it........but I dont think they were taken in the really bad sections. They are rebuilding JC from what I hear.....which is nice. Good job Rat!!
Well, I took everything on that one side of Montgomery. I was going to take requests (for other streets), but I probably won't be doing so for a couple more weeks at least. This is the worst time of year for me. My daily walks are down to almost zero and weekend hiking has been non-existent for a couple months due to the weather. Yesterday it was a struggle to walk five blocks for an errand I had to run . . . didn't help that I forgot my gloves. I think extreme cold is starting to bother me as much as extreme heat/humidity. 30s I can deal with as long as it's not too windy and isn't raining/snowing, but yikes! (And that winkie is appropriately blue.)

When the weather starts improving, I'll get back to my usual routine, and I'll add more photographs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey