Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 AM

54 posts, read 248,428 times

Advertisements

Looking for someone in Middlesex County (Edison, Woodbridge area). My tax guy retired and moved away from the country. He was really good, he found anything and everything that I can get credit from (legally of course). Looking for someone that basically can do this now for me. Anyone recommend any good and competent ones? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
Looking for someone in Middlesex County (Edison, Woodbridge area). My tax guy retired and moved away from the country. He was really good, he found anything and everything that I can get credit from (legally of course). Looking for someone that basically can do this now for me. Anyone recommend any good and competent ones? Thanks.
there used to be a guy in Edison, who it seemed everyone in the area used for years. He was later arrested.

Tim geithner the goldman sachs tax cheat and former US treasury head used turbo tax. That might be an alternative. Apparently any mistakes are forgiven.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
I've used Turbo Tax and have this years copy already, just waiting for my W-2s and 10992. I've used Tax Act (which is H&R Blocks) software before, prefer Turbo Tax. There's some others. My taxes aren't that complicated, mortgage deduction, I use to deduct work related expenses. It's convenient, If you need a form or receipt you just go in your files and look for it. I've used H&R Block and some of the others, you have to gather up you stuff make an appt. if you forget something you have to stop or skip the deduction.
Basically the program asks the same questions the preparers do, "do you have unreimbursed employee expenses",
"do you work from home, (home office)" , do you have any rental properties?, etc. etc. The software double checks your return, brings up something that may be a red flag to the IRS.
The only problem with the software is while they'll file (1) federal return free, state filings, (and in the past software) cost an additional fee, there's also a charge up front that IF (big if) you get audited they will represent you, and I think pay any penalties, (but not additional tax) owed.
The do stand by the actual program though.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:15 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
turbo tax user too with no issues in the past 5 years of using them. having one issue here where i need to file a separate form since my employer withheld more ss tax than allowed. turbo tax says have the employer refund it, my job said get the government to refund it and sent me a common paymaster letter to "help"

Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM

173 posts, read 245,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
I do my Taxes. Why anyone would Pay someone else to do it, is beyond me. Takes me, maybe 20 Minutes.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM

173 posts, read 245,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
there used to be a guy in Edison, who it seemed everyone in the area used for years. He was later arrested.

Tim geithner the goldman sachs tax cheat and former US treasury head used turbo tax. That might be an alternative. Apparently any mistakes are forgiven.
^LOL, this. Actually I always do mine, myself. I just fill out 1040 on paper, then I go to IRS website, and copy the information onto their online 1040 forms. I send it online, and usually have my Money back in 1-2 Weeks. Simple, really. I would never waste Money Paying someone to do something I can do in 20 Minutes.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
turbo tax user too with no issues in the past 5 years of using them. having one issue here where i need to file a separate form since my employer withheld more ss tax than allowed. turbo tax says have the employer refund it, my job said get the government to refund it and sent me a common paymaster letter to "help"

used the free agent help on the phone for this issue and they provided a much better solution than my employer :thumbups" to their customer service. they basically helped me avoid using some form that no one ever uses. why my jobs tax group advised otherwise is beyond me!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:52 AM

54 posts, read 248,428 times
I used to do it before with turbotax when I didn't itemized but now that I have a mortgage, wife, kids, 2 jobs etc. I think I'd rather leave it to the pro's. In order words I don't trust myself to do it anymore...lol

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 165,354 times
You can TurboTax without paying. It will take care of itemizing.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:24 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I have been using Turbotax for 6 years and never had a problem. I have a mortgage, kids, investments, etc. Unless you have difficulty following directions it's really not that hard to do. Many years ago I called an accountant that was recommended by a friend and he wanted to charge me over $600 to do a federal and state return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey