U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM

716 posts, read 1,652,900 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am just asking for some advice and opinions. My fiance are the beginning process of a looking for a house (under 300k) and would like to close in July. She works in East Hanover lives in Springfield and I work in Wayne and live in West Orange. Proximity to our jobs is important as is proximity to other job centers and NYC. Below are the towns were considering keep in mind it's based on budget obviously I'd love to live in Livingston.

Important items: safe neighborhood, central location, good elementary schools (not needed for a while but still mater), commute to currents jobs and access to NYC. Also it cannot be a flood zone or anywhere near a flood zone. While I am not religious we would prefer for their to be a decent size jewish population.

West Orange: My family has been here for nearly 60 years and I am very familiar with the town. I know in the 90s and 00s it changed a lot and is not the same town it was in the 60s 70s 80s when it was one of the best communities in NJ with one of the best school systems. With that said I feel like West Oranges location is so great that its starting to rebound and is following the path of other nearby towns (South Orange and Montclair) that were on the down. Also West Orange has first class services and I think it may be the next town to get hot and again even on its worse day its still a nice place (I am being a bit critical in the post to make sure I'm not blinded by optimism). 20 years ago people wanted to be out in exurbia now my generation is all about ease of access and proxmity to the urban core. Taxes are very high which is an issue but your paying less for the house and you pay for the location.

Springfield: nice town though union county is a bit to South for me. I think west Orange is a better location but Springfield is nice not sure which is the better town long term. It's much smaller than WO so it will b harder to find a house at our budget.

Parsipanny: Morris county taxes, don't particularly love thr area it but the lake parsipanny area seems nice. Also seems like a good central location. I think it meets the other prerequisites. Also like whipanny, Hanover's, cedar knolls but there out of the price range.

Bloomfield: Really unlikely I think it may be on the up and maybe the next town to take off but my fiance isn't buying it. Would like your thoughts on it.

Rockaway: probably not a good fit but its cheaper and white meadow lake is supposed to be nice. We did drive by once and my fiance felt that it was way to country. Still though we n't eliminate it.

Verona/Cedar Grove/Roseland/Caldwells: would be top choices but I doubt I'll find something at that price range.

Kenilworth/Clark/Garwood: maybe these would be solid options a bit to South but that's not a total deal breaker.

Riverdale/butler/Bloomingdale: my fiance wouldn't go for them but you never know with the right house.
Please give me your thoughts on the towns you are familiar with or if I am not thinking of a town. Thanks for your help/advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 11:25 PM

478 posts, read 1,064,883 times
How about Boonton or Montville?

No train station, high taxes and impediments to revitalize the industrial area doesn't bode well for W.O.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 PM

478 posts, read 1,064,883 times
How about Boonton or Montville? West Orange needs to get that Main St revitalization figured out. No train station hurts them.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 AM

4,864 posts, read 10,250,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
How about Boonton or Montville? West Orange needs to get that Main St revitalization figured out. No train station hurts them.
The lack of train station hurts the revitalization of Main St. because most developers prefer to develop near transit. But I don't think the lack of train station hurts the town in general. I-280 runs right through town with multiple on/off ramps. So no matter where you are in town you are close to 280, and every major highway in North Jersey is within a 10-minute drive. Believe it or not, not everyone needs a train station or works in NYC. Neither my wife nor I commute via train, so the convenience of the highway is one major factor that drove us to West Orange (pun intended). So there was no reason for us to pay a premium to live in a town like Montclair or South Orange when we don't need access to the train. Most of my neighbors are in the same situation. It's like living at discount by not paying for a service you don't need.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post

Bloomfield: Really unlikely I think it may be on the up and maybe the next town to take off but my fiance isn't buying it. Would like your thoughts on it.

Rockaway: probably not a good fit but its cheaper and white meadow lake is supposed to be nice. We did drive by once and my fiance felt that it was way to country. Still though we n't eliminate it.

Kenilworth/Clark/Garwood: maybe these would be solid options a bit to South but that's not a total deal breaker.

Bloomfield is trying to revitalize but most of the downtown area is still very gritty and the schools are generally ranked pretty low.

I agree that Rockaway is too far "out there" and the traffic in that area on I-80 is always terrible. I have friends that used to live there and the town is very "blah" in my opinion

The Clark area is ok, but again, the traffic on the Parkway in that area is always terrible.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:53 AM

244 posts, read 330,340 times
The property taxes in West Orange would be a deal breaker for me. It's literally like getting your pocket picked

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
The property taxes in West Orange would be a deal breaker for me. It's literally like getting your pocket picked
The same can be said for pretty much any town in North Jersey...

Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I know they are trying to make luxury lofts not sure how successful it will be. West Orange has jitneys to the south Orange station to capitalize on location. Main street is down the bill completely separate part of west Orange. Until I was like 12 I thought down the hill west Orange was 2 blocks by 280 at the bottom of Northfield lol. Montvile would be nice but the affordable parts are flood zones. The affordable parts of Boonton are in the older area very old houses, parts are rundown and I think it floods. Obviously towards mountain lakes its really nice. I'm not an expert on that area so if I am wrong please let me know.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The same can be said for pretty much any town in North Jersey...

Agreed, yeah its worse in WO than Verona but ultimately it's almost the same everywhere in Essex county and much of NJ.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The lack of train station hurts the revitalization of Main St. because most developers prefer to develop near transit. But I don't think the lack of train station hurts the town in general. I-280 runs right through town with multiple on/off ramps. So no matter where you are in town you are close to 280, and every major highway in North Jersey is within a 10-minute drive. Believe it or not, not everyone needs a train station or works in NYC. Neither my wife nor I commute via train, so the convenience of the highway is one major factor that drove us to West Orange (pun intended). So there was no reason for us to pay a premium to live in a town like Montclair or South Orange when we don't need access to the train. Most of my neighbors are in the same situation. It's like living at discount by not paying for a service you don't need.
That's my opinion also. In west Orange you have easy access to other towns. You can be closer to downtown Montclair than parts of Montclair and likewise for downtown South Orange. I just want to make sure that my theory on west Orange means that its on an upswing, don't want to be blinded by optimism. Montclair , South Orange and Maplesood got hot because ex new Yorkers came and liked the towns and proximity to NYC. Like in NYC as this spreads it goes outward (Brooklyn, Astoria/lic in queens, etc). I am hoping this outward trend is spreading into West Orange as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or