U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 PM

10 posts, read 11,573 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to NYC/NJ area for 2 year fellowship at Columbia.

We are a family of 3, myself, wife and a 3 month old baby girl :-)

Looking for a 1 to 2 BR apt for $1400 to $2200 near path station. To me, Journal Square Station seems the best choice.

Apt will need to have:
- Parking
- Central air conditioning

What are some places to rent with above in mind? Few I found:

1. Kennedy Lofts
- looks good on website ([url=http://kennedylofts.com/residences/[/url])
- 0.3 mile walk to station (https://goo.gl/maps/nbW4wUhefEF2)

2. 25 Senate Place
- looks good on website ([url=http://25senateplace.com/luxury-apartment-rentals/[/url])
- 0.5 mile walk to station (https://goo.gl/maps/SHfQbK9HkaL2)

3. St. John's Apartment
- read lot of bad reviews (http://bit.ly/1PXb6Nb)
- 0.4 mile walk to station (http://bit.ly/1KekkrK)

My family will greatly appreciate if you may please take some time in advising us.

Thanks.

Last edited by drdkgupta; 01-29-2016 at 12:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 04:00 PM

2,950 posts, read 4,887,559 times
You'll need a 2-bedroom. Doubtful that a landlord in NJ will rent a 1-bedroom, they'll want the baby to have a separate bedroom.

Also, you'll have to ask each building about the parking, and the cost. Even if they have their own garage or lot you cannot assume that it's free. Many buildings charge for parking totally separately from whatever rent you pay. Be sure to ask that question so you can budget appropriately.

Last edited by daliowa; 01-29-2016 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,194,551 times
Keep in mind that during the winter the PATH train can suspend service if there is snow. It will still run to Hoboken and into Jersey City as far as Grove St.

Another option if you want new development style apartments is Harrison, NJ. One stop up the PATH train from Journal Square and less hectic.

Water's Edge
Harrison Station - (lots of Indians)

Both apartment options in your budget.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:25 PM

515 posts, read 842,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Keep in mind that during the winter the PATH train can suspend service if there is snow. It will still run to Hoboken and into Jersey City as far as Grove St.

Another option if you want new development style apartments is Harrison, NJ. One stop up the PATH train from Journal Square and less hectic.

Water's Edge

This is incorrect. PATH service is often suspended from NWK to JSQ, but JSQ to WTC and JSQ to 33rd both operate when there is snow. In previous years, JSQ has had delayed service while workers were clearing the short distance on tracks before the trains go into tunnels, but not nearly as bad as Harrison to JSQ. That's a lot of track to clear between those two stops.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
This is incorrect. PATH service is often suspended from NWK to JSQ, but JSQ to WTC and JSQ to 33rd both operate when there is snow. In previous years, JSQ has had delayed service while workers were clearing the short distance on tracks before the trains go into tunnels, but not nearly as bad as Harrison to JSQ. That's a lot of track to clear between those two stops.
Thanks for clarifying Mrs. Wiggle. That's really helpful to know as the apartments in Hooboken and Newport are way more expensive than Journal Square area.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post

Water's Edge

Thanks for bringing up the option of Harrison. But the travel time increases further to go to Columbia and closure of Path from Harrison during snow (see Mrs. Wiggle response below) will pose problems.

Last edited by drdkgupta; 01-30-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdkgupta View Post
Hello,

I am moving to NYC/NJ area for 2 year fellowship at Columbia.

We are a family of 3, myself, wife and a 3 month old baby girl :-)

Looking for a 1 to 2 BR apt for $1400 to $2200 near path station. To me, Journal Square Station seems the best choice.

Apt will need to have:
- Parking
- Central air conditioning

Thanks.
Updated list:

1. Kennedy Lofts
- looks good on website
- 0.3 mile walk to station

2. 25 Senate Place
- looks good on website
- 0.5 mile walk to station

3. St. John's Apartment
- website is that of its Realty manager
- read lot of bad reviews online
- 0.4 mile walk to station

4. 845 Newark Ave
- no formal website

5. 151 Sip Ave
- no formal website
- 0.4 mils walk to station

Last edited by drdkgupta; 01-30-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 07:33 PM

515 posts, read 842,286 times
Quote:
Updated list:

1. Kennedy Lofts
- looks good on website

2. 25 Senate Place
- looks good on website
- 0.5 mile walk to station

3. St. John's Apartment
- website is that of its Realty manager
- read lot of bad reviews online
- 0.4 mile walk to station

4. 845 Newark Ave
- no formal website

5. 151 Sip Ave
- no formal website
- 0.4 mils walk to station
I'm familiar with 151 Sip. It's a great building and super duper convenient and very safe (located in the Hudson County Community College campus, although it's an open campus).

845 Newark is in a slightly desolate location. It's on a road that is kind of an off ramp from the highway. If you go just another block or two closer to the PATH, you'll be in a much better spot.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
I'm familiar with 151 Sip. It's a great building and super duper convenient and very safe (located in the Hudson County Community College campus, although it's an open campus).

845 Newark is in a slightly desolate location. It's on a road that is kind of an off ramp from the highway. If you go just another block or two closer to the PATH, you'll be in a much better spot.
I just found out that "151 Slip Ave" doesn't has central air conditioning (based on images available on hotpad). So this building is probably off the list tnow.

Regarding your comment about "845 Newark Ave", I am surprised. It is actually right next to the "India Square", which is highly occupied. Can you please help me understand if I am missing something? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:36 PM

6,699 posts, read 17,173,218 times
Quote:
I just found out that "151 Slip Ave" doesn't has central air conditioning (based on images available on hotpad). So this building is probably off the list tnow.

Regarding your comment about "845 Newark Ave", I am surprised. It is actually right next to the "India Square", which is highly occupied. Can you please help me understand if I am missing something? Thanks.
India Square ends abruptly at Tonnele Ave. West of Tonnele, Newark Ave is more industrial in character.

The apartment buildings listed above all seem very nice. None of them include parking. You'll have to pay extra for that, usually $150-250/month. There are a few parking decks by the PATH station that offer monthly parking in that price range. Once you change your drivers license and car registration to your JC address, you can buy an annual parking permit that allows you to park on the street in your designated parking zone. The price is $15 for the year but the real cost will be time spent looking for a place to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey