Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,150 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Both my spouse and me work in NYC(midtown and downtown), we are looking to buy our first house. We have been renting in Jersey City downtown for over 5 yrs and are used to the conveniences around. We hope to start a family soon and also need good school districts. We shortlisted a few areas and house types. Although each area is different but would like to get views and suggestions on commute to city, elementary schools, safety, conveniences nearby and improvements in near future. Although am more inclined to Single Family but we are open to Townhomes as well. Our budget is 550K Max

Townhouse in West Orange built in 1999
Townhouse/Single Family in Clark built in 1990
Single Family in Monroe built in 2010
Single Family in East Brunswick built in 2010

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:15 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
If you're both commuting to NYC I would immediately rule out Monroe and East Brunswick. Those towns are just too far. You would either be driving to a train station or taking a long bus ride. From West Orange and Clark you would also have to drive to the train, but at least it would be a shorter train ride, or a shorter bus ride if you choose to go with that mode of transportation. Monroe and EB are in Middlesex County which has never appealed to me due to all the strip malls and suburban sprawl.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
it really comes down to which of these scenarios you prefer

Older home, needs more work, shorter commute
Newer home, needs less work, longer commute

I live in middlesex county and commute to downtown from the brunswicks. Its not too terrible. We basically bought here becuase i didnt want to live in an older home/town home to shave off 40 min a day.

I do feel that Monroe is wayy to far. I dont care if you live in the exit 8a park and ride, its too far.

Check out Metuchen. NEC train in town, 550k will buy you a nice older well kept smaller home.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:35 AM

11 posts, read 16,494 times
I have new neighbors that did exactly what are are planning to do. They both work in midtown, lived in jersey city, and we're looking for a quiet place to live but still accessible. They drive to Rahway train station and take the train in. I never heard them complain about the commute but I don't know them super well. So Clark is a possibility for you.

Jose

Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,150 times
Metuchen - any recommendations? Cuz the houses we saw had no/partial basement. New homes look attractive but just that the commute makes us think 4/5 times.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:29 AM

29 posts, read 39,721 times
I think the first question should be, how large of a house do I need? How many bedrooms and baths? There are a number of great communities on the midtown direct train line that will get you into the city with a relatively easy commute within the price range you are looking for. Maplewood, New Providence, Clark...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:46 PM

264 posts, read 606,133 times
It makes sense to move to a farther suburb (longer commute) in exchange for better schools for the kids, and this is what many do. Whether you should do it even before having kids is debatable, and needs review, especially the financial aspects of it. The longer commute will be especially challenging with a young child and both parents working in the city. I would suggest renting in the town of your choice first if you really want to try it out. But to answer to the point, out of the 4 listed, I would rule out west orange (schools not great) and Monroe (too far). That leaves Clark, average schools and better commute, or East brunswick, good schools and popular family town, but you will end up with a long bus commute. Of course many do it, but rarely it is both parents.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 PM

300 posts, read 913,844 times
It's perception that Monroe is far but if you really put direction during commute time, the difference between Clark and Monroe is 20 min max, of course with Monroe it all depends on where you are located. Just put Clark to Manhattan in Google maps and same for Monroe, you will get rough idea. Yes it is surprising but quite few areas of east Brunswick iare farther than lot of places in Monroe considering you can get to exit 8a easier than exit 9. With exit 9 reconstruction this equation may change.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
It makes sense to move to a farther suburb (longer commute) in exchange for better schools for the kids, and this is what many do.
If you're both working in NYC that means leaving early in the morning and getting home late in the evening. Who is watching the kids before and after school? Most schools only provide after care until 5:30pm. You're not going to be home from the city by that time if you live in a farther town.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 AM

17 posts, read 25,282 times
In my opinion, commuting from NJ to NYC from any good transit point is around 45 mins on average. Whether you are willing to spend an extra 15 to 20 min + extra $$ is the question. In return you will get to leave in peaceful environment.

If you like bus commute then you can consider new towhomes (Oaks at Cranbury) that are coming up in south brunswick near 8a exit. priced around $490+ upgrades=$530.

If you like train commute you can consider North Edison, Metuchen or Princeton Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey