Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 9,333 times

Advertisements

Then what am I supposed to do on TurboTax for this stuff?

I filled out the Federal side by just rotely pasting in the stuff from my W2s, but State taxes are a nightmare.

I started the NY stuff first (TurboTax says you should force it to do the nonresident stuff first before you do resident), and it recommended I file a NY Nonresident (Form IT-203). Fine. Were you permanently a resident in this NJ addy on Dec 31 2015? Yes. Did you maintain living quarters in NY during 2015? No. Were all your wages earned in NY? No.

"You must edit (change) each Form W-2 to allocate your New York State earnings."

Everything goes downhill from here because I have no idea how to do the allocations. I didn't work or live in NY in 2015 so I can't just use some # of days metric that it tries to offer, but even if all I did was offer a $ or % amount, I don't know which number I am supposed to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxesarethedevil View Post
Then what am I supposed to do on TurboTax for this stuff?

I filled out the Federal side by just rotely pasting in the stuff from my W2s, but State taxes are a nightmare.

I started the NY stuff first (TurboTax says you should force it to do the nonresident stuff first before you do resident), and it recommended I file a NY Nonresident (Form IT-203). Fine. But everything goes downhill from there because I have no idea how to do the allocations.
I haven't done the 2015 taxes yet, but each year towards the end of the state, there should be a screen that will show NY and NJ taxes for the same money and you uncheck one of the states. Otherwise you will be paying double the tax.

I don't recall which state you uncheck but Turbotax people should be able to help or at least a turbotax forum.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I haven't done the 2015 taxes yet, but each year towards the end of the state, there should be a screen that will show NY and NJ taxes for the same money and you uncheck one of the states. Otherwise you will be paying double the tax.

I don't recall which state you uncheck but Turbotax people should be able to help or at least a turbotax forum.
Yeah, that part comes later -- I am fine with that piece. My problem is the allocations part.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 PM

Just E-filed.

What I did was look at the NY vs NJ withholding on my paystub for the bonus, and saw that the amounts were in proportion to how much time I spent in NY vs NJ. So I took the NY percentage, applied that to my bonus to get the federally taxable amount attributable to NY, and then took that divided by the federally taxable income listed on the NY W2 to get some percentage to enter onto TurboTax.

Hope this helps someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey