Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,496,273 times

Advertisements

Buyowner.com is terrible. FSBO.com has lots of info on their website. Getting the MLS together is easy, you do have to pay for more pics. The answer to your question is some people do not want to pay extra (stupid) or their house just sucks and they don't want to show the inside (stupid). The one warning I would give anyone going FSBO - the vast majority of realtors are - let's just say not the sharpest tool in the shed. And you'll be dealing with them since you are your own selling agent. It can be really frustrating. But that's true listing with an agent too. I saved $17K in commission selling it FSBO, it certainly was well worth the effort.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,550,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
If I were to sell my house by owner, I would absolutely offer a commission to buyers agent. You see lots of people try to sell their house by owner for months and months and then end up getting a realtor and selling it relatively quickly.

Yes I think getting it on the MLS is very important. Does FSBO.com do that?
I dunno about fsbo.com but buyowner.com just sucks. We tried to use it when we were looking for houses and found them very non-user-friendly. And I am a Unix admin I spend 14 hours a day on the computer, surfing the web, testing websites, etc. so I am not an idiot who doesn't know how to navigate a site. Sometimes I just wonder who is programming these sites and I could do a much better job (and I'm not a programmer). I would spend the 4 dollars a month and get a good easy to remember .COM address and put a sign in your yard. Anyway.

Something I wonder about... as an internet savvy kind of guy as most of us (here) are.

Why do I see houses on the internet with 1 picture and no description, be it NJ MLS, GS MLS or realtor.com? Do you need to pay extra for 3-5+ pictures and a decent description?????
My favorites are the ones with the horrible pictures...a laundry basket over-flowing in the corner of a room or a picture of the ceiling fan - realtors should hire professional photographers or ask someone elses opinion before they post the photos.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:00 PM

316 posts, read 1,245,971 times
Default yes i am here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I tried the 3.5% to buyers agent and I did get a few more showings..no buyers yet but it did increase the number of folks coming out to see my place. I may try again before the spring season hits..see what happens. Are you listening Judith : )) Bring um on out to Warren Co. : ))))))
yes i am here wileynj but this agent doesn't go to warren sorry.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,894,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
What I said was I had a very reputable real estate company working for me and they reduced the commission. I didnt say to go for the lowest commision......absolutley go with a realtor with the best marketing strategy. The market is really slow and I still say that almost every realtor out there will be more than willing to take a cut to list your house.
Not this Realtor. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, willing to "take a cut to list your house." I'll put together a marketing plan I trhink will work for your house in your situation. I'll tell you the fee at which this plan can be had. You can accept that fee & that plan or not. You can even negotiate and I may agree to a lower fee for some reason. But trust me, the reason will NEVER be the market isn't moving, and it's tough to get a house sold, so take less money from me just to have another listing. And the agents that are going to take a reduced fee for that reason are likely the agents you LEAST want actually marketing anything for you in a tough market.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 PM

316 posts, read 1,245,971 times
Default i can answer you

Quote:
If I were to sell my house by owner, I would absolutely offer a commission to buyers agent. You see lots of people try to sell their house by owner for months and months and then end up getting a realtor and selling it relatively quickly.

I dunno about fsbo.com but buyowner.com just sucks. We tried to use it when we were looking for houses and found them very non-user-friendly. And I am a Unix admin I spend 14 hours a day on the computer, surfing the web, testing websites, etc. so I am not an idiot who doesn't know how to navigate a site. Sometimes I just wonder who is programming these sites and I could do a much better job (and I'm not a programmer). I would spend the 4 dollars a month and get a good easy to remember .COM address and put a sign in your yard. Anyway.

Something I wonder about... as an internet savvy kind of guy as most of us (here) are.

Why do I see houses on the internet with 1 picture and no description, be it NJ MLS, GS MLS or realtor.com? Do you need to pay extra for 3-5+ pictures and a decent description?????
I can answer you about realtor.com to have multi pictures on there agents must pay extra to have more of description and extra pics they need to have a one year contract with realtor.com. ,,,,,,,GS MLS you dont' pay extra its just the agent.............. NJ MLs Sorry I don't know , I because i choose not to work that area..... I hope i answered you

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

85 posts, read 304,129 times
Quote:

You see houses on the internet with one pic and no description because either 1) the agent is too lazy to do otherwise or 2) the agent doesn't know how to do otherwise. Either way, it's pathetic on the part of the agent and another reason why homeowners need to be involved in the marketing process. You, the homeowner, do NOT pay extra for more pictures. I typically take 75+ pics of a house and use the best. A realtor would pay extra to get the enhanced version of realtor.com which is worth every dime in my opinion. Realtor.com now allows you to upload 25 pictures. A realtor can post a description of up to 2000 words. I take advantage especially of the description portion. It's a fantastic edge.

These days trying to sell by owner is such a losing game. And I'm not saying that because I'm a realtor. I have plenty of business not to care how anyone chooses to sell, or not. However, as market value is dropping at half a percentage point per month, comparable homes are selling for less and time is the essence, why would someone risk less than optimum market exposure? Every other home on the market that is comparable in their town may sell before theirs, leaving them to linger on the market longer and longer and longer...whatever. Got off the subject. Hope I answered your question.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
My favorites are the ones with the horrible pictures...a laundry basket over-flowing in the corner of a room or a picture of the ceiling fan - realtors should hire professional photographers or ask someone elses opinion before they post the photos.
This is called complete incompetence. If an individual who is in the business of marketing homes cannot discern whether a picture is flattering or not, they're an imbecile. I see too many pictures like this on the MLS. It's pathetic. I plead a call to action on the part of homeowners to PLEASE REVIEW PAST MARKETING EFFORTS OF THE REALTORS YOU INTEND TO HIRE. Look at their brochures. Ask them to bring printouts of the homes they marketed in the past. As a professional stager AND realtor, this stuff drives me nuts.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
In Northern NJ it's negotiable. I could have asked for as low as 4% but went with 5%. Buyers agents tend to look for the highest commissions when choosing homes to show their buyers. If youre really anxious to sell, see if you can make the buyer's agent commission higher - i.e. 2% seller's agent and 3% buyer's agent. This will also encourage your agent to try and sell it themselves so that they get the full cut.
More horse manure. Buyers agents tend to look for the house that best suits their clients, not the highest commission. WHO DO YOU THINK TAKES THE LEAD IN LOOKING FOR HOMES ON THE INTERNET? THE BUYERS. Do you think agents are the only ones with access to homes that are listed?

Another misinterpretation of reality...This will also encourage your agent to try and sell it themselves so that they get the full cut. An great agent need not encouragement to sell the home themselves. As far as I'm concerned, if I win the listing, I'm thrilled. I'm ready to sell as best I can. Whether I get the buyer directly or another agent brings it, it's all good. This is generally the way it is. A realtor cannot magically lure a buyer to them via their marketing efforts. The buyer will either call them directly or be produced via another agent they're already working with. THIS IS THE REALITY. Again, I repeat...If the agent has the listing, they will be pleased to sell it either directly to the buyer or through another agency. Stop thinking there's some hocus pocus to "working harder" for the full commission. Either the realtor works hardest right through the gate, or they suck.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,496,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheSellsNJ View Post
You see houses on the internet with one pic and no description because either 1) the agent is too lazy to do otherwise or 2) the agent doesn't know how to do otherwise. Either way, it's pathetic on the part of the agent and another reason why homeowners need to be involved in the marketing process. You, the homeowner, do NOT pay extra for more pictures. I typically take 75+ pics of a house and use the best. A realtor would pay extra to get the enhanced version of realtor.com which is worth every dime in my opinion. Realtor.com now allows you to upload 25 pictures. A realtor can post a description of up to 2000 words. I take advantage especially of the description portion. It's a fantastic edge.

These days trying to sell by owner is such a losing game. And I'm not saying that because I'm a realtor. I have plenty of business not to care how anyone chooses to sell, or not. However, as market value is dropping at half a percentage point per month, comparable homes are selling for less and time is the essence, why would someone risk less than optimum market exposure? Every other home on the market that is comparable in their town may sell before theirs, leaving them to linger on the market longer and longer and longer...whatever. Got off the subject. Hope I answered your question.
Or you could have an agent who has 15-20+ listings and doesn't really give a damn about you and gives you nothing but lipservce and open houses - which are a crock. Now I know there are good agents but......I fired two agents did FSBO.com put together a killer MLS, purchased extra pics on realtor.com, emailed realtors from prior showings and got a contract within 3 months of doing it myself. And I saved $17K to boot. FSBO isn't for everybody but for someone like me it was perfect.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:35 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,577,144 times
[quote=SheSellsNJ;2841191]( However, as market value is dropping at half a percentage point per month,) This is truly amazing that you realtors are not on the same page. I posted on another thread where 10 realtors said buy , buy, but NOW IS THE TIME. Now you who SHE SELLSNJ. is telling us that the market is dropping 1/2 percent a month equals 6 percent a year. Why the heck would I buy now. This is your own words. So pass it on to the other realtors that say BUY,BUY,BUY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey