Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,901,762 times

Advertisements

OP, move to Edison if you want an Indian community. From Wiki demographics: As part of the 2010 Census, 28.3% of Edison residents identified themselves as being Indian American. In the 2000 Census, 17.75% of Edison residents identified themselves as being Indian American, the highest percentage of Indian American people of any place in the United States with 1,000 or more residents identifying their ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,211,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Cranford DOES have a real downtown, and a thriving one at that since new buildings were put in within the last decade or so, and isn't Westfield nice as a whole but it's not "nowhere near as nice" as Westfield. It's pretty close...

It's also not more diverse, though oddly another poster earlier made it seem that way, and you just claimed so too. Not sure what Muslim community in Cranford the other poster was talking about, but I've yet to see it...

As another poster shared demographics from Wiki for the 2010 Census for Westfield, here it is for Cranford: The racial makeup of the township was 91.85% (20,781) White, 2.62% (592) Black or African American, 0.08% (18) Native American, 2.84% (643) Asian, 0.02% (4) Pacific Islander, 1.03% (234) from other races, and 1.56% (353) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 6.51% (1,474) of the population.

Less diverse than Westfield, but not by much.

Additional source: I've lived in Cranford my whole life, over 20 years.

Have you ever even been to Cranford? Are you thinking of a different town? To say Cranford doesn't have a real downtown when its downtown is 100 years old is just... bizarre. Do you have some weird beef with Cranford? Everything you said is totally inaccurate.
My friends in Cranford, who love the town, flooded out during both Irene and Sandy. She posted pictures of her basement & the folks canoeing around town the days following Sandy. Most recently posted pictures of her basement after Irene and due to some petition floating around Cranford calling for the government to fix the Rahway River from spilling over in to Cranford.

My oldest's BFF (from school, the BFF drives 45 minutes to get to school) lives in a beautiful, large, historic home that is in Cranford.

Wasn't touched by either storm.

Gotta watch the street you move to in Cranford.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-10-2016 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
My friends in Cranford, who love the town, flooded out during both Irene and Sandy. She posted pictures of her basement & the folks canoeing around town the days following Sandy. Most recently posted pictures of her basement after Irene and due to some petition floating around Cranford calling for the government to fix the Rahway River from spilling over in to Cranford.

My oldest's BFF (from school, the BFF drives 45 minutes to get to school) lives in a beautiful, large, historic home that is in Cranford.

Wasn't touched by either storm.

Gotta watch the street you move to in Cranford.
No, Cranford didn't flood at all in Sandy. Those pictures you're thinking of are probably from Irene. Cranford had a lot of wind damage and downed power lines from Sandy, so no school for like 2 weeks because no power, but we barely got rain so we didn't flood. Irene was the bad one, and there have been nor'easters in the past as well as Floyd in 1999. Irene flooded 2 schools, one had to be gutted and redone, and some of the downtown. Maybe your friend's basement flooded in Sandy from rainwater because the power was out, so her sump pump stopped working? But no river flooding from that storm. The river didn't breech the levees like it did during Irene. In Cranford, there is a difference between "flooding" from the river creeping up into streets and homes, and basements filling up from failed sump pumps. The former is a flood, the latter is not. I actually never lost power in either storm where I live in Cranford, somehow.

There are parts of Cranford that never flood. I live across from the river and have never flooded, though people down my street did in Irene. Irene was what they call a "500 year flood" so it's likely we will never see water levels that high again in our lifetime. Areas of Cranford that never flooded before did, but probably won't again because of the rarity of the storm. There will always be parts of Cranford safe from flooding. If anyone ever wants details, message me I will be happy to talk about it. Lifelong resident here whose parent is also a lifelong resident.

And yes flood control measures are always being worked on and in planning. There is some petition floating around currently for congressional support relating to Rahway River flood control. I'm not too concerned because my house doesn't flood despite our proximity to the river.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 15,263 times
Thank you all for the insight!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,541,544 times
Metchuchen is another spot lately more INdian.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,211,880 times
Quote:
No, Cranford didn't flood at all in Sandy. Those pictures you're thinking of are probably from Irene. Cranford had a lot of wind damage and downed power lines from Sandy, so no school for like 2 weeks because no power, but we barely got rain so we didn't flood. Irene was the bad one, and there have been nor'easters in the past as well as Floyd in 1999. Irene flooded 2 schools, one had to be gutted and redone, and some of the downtown. Maybe your friend's basement flooded in Sandy from rainwater because the power was out, so her sump pump stopped working? But no river flooding from that storm. The river didn't breech the levees like it did during Irene. In Cranford, there is a difference between "flooding" from the river creeping up into streets and homes, and basements filling up from failed sump pumps. The former is a flood, the latter is not. I actually never lost power in either storm where I live in Cranford, somehow.

There are parts of Cranford that never flood. I live across from the river and have never flooded, though people down my street did in Irene. Irene was what they call a "500 year flood" so it's likely we will never see water levels that high again in our lifetime. Areas of Cranford that never flooded before did, but probably won't again because of the rarity of the storm. There will always be parts of Cranford safe from flooding. If anyone ever wants details, message me I will be happy to talk about it. Lifelong resident here whose parent is also a lifelong resident.

And yes flood control measures are always being worked on and in planning. There is some petition floating around currently for congressional support relating to Rahway River flood control. I'm not too concerned because my house doesn't flood despite our proximity to the river.
I asked my friend (in a round about way) about her basement/street flooding during Sandy. Not that I didn't believe you, but was curious. She said, "No, we didn't flood during Sandy...". Long story short: she apparently had labeled photos "Sandy" when she should have used "Irene".

Sandy on the brain, I guess.

Edited to add: In my town? You have to watch which side of the street you move to/on. The majority of my neighbors who live on the opposite side of the street ended up having their basements flood during Irene & Sandy. One, who had a finished basement, had carpet/drywall/furniture sitting on the curb after Irene. FF to a little over a year later and after Sandy hit.... the same neighbor had carpet/drywall/furniture sitting on the curb.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-10-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I asked my friend (in a round about way) about her basement/street flooding during Sandy. Not that I didn't believe you, but was curious. She said, "No, we didn't flood during Sandy...". Long story short: she apparently had labeled photos "Sandy" when she should have used "Irene".

Sandy on the brain, I guess.
It happens a lot. People confuse them all the time - even some Cranford residents.

We have flooded so much they eventually start to blur...

Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 PM

22 posts, read 68,069 times
Both South Brunswick and West Windsor-Plainsboro schools observe Diwali as holiday. WWP has top notch school. Many people there take the bus to NYC. Check CoachUSA.com for bus schedule.

I'm a foreign born, non-white, naturalized citizen. If you are worried about how your family will be accepted by the locals in any town, you can just walk around that place and feel how the locals stare (or ignore) you. I crossed out several towns that everybody called "nice." Of course one or two stares didn't deter me, but you can certainly *feel* if the locals are OK with your presence.

Last edited by burnfish; 02-25-2016 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 15,263 times
Thank you everyone. We have expanded our search to Edison.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:49 AM

52 posts, read 84,796 times
Quote:
Cranford DOES have a real downtown, and a thriving one at that since new buildings were put in within the last decade or so, and isn't Westfield nice as a whole but it's not "nowhere near as nice" as Westfield. It's pretty close...

It's also not more diverse, though oddly another poster earlier made it seem that way, and you just claimed so too. Not sure what Muslim community in Cranford the other poster was talking about, but I've yet to see it...

As another poster shared demographics from Wiki for the 2010 Census for Westfield, here it is for Cranford: The racial makeup of the township was 91.85% (20,781) White, 2.62% (592) Black or African American, 0.08% (18) Native American, 2.84% (643) Asian, 0.02% (4) Pacific Islander, 1.03% (234) from other races, and 1.56% (353) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 6.51% (1,474) of the population.

Less diverse than Westfield, but not by much.

Additional source: I've lived in Cranford my whole life, over 20 years.

Have you ever even been to Cranford? Are you thinking of a different town? To say Cranford doesn't have a real downtown when its downtown is 100 years old is just... bizarre. Do you have some weird beef with Cranford? Everything you said is totally inaccurate.
I will take Cranford's DT over Westfield's any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey