Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 PM

16 posts, read 26,751 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have fallen in love with a home in teaneck but we are concerned about the school performance ratings and diversity. Can anyone share their experience? Is there an even split (or close) amongst racial groups? Also can anyone mention which schools they like or dislike? Please include school names. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Grow up in teaneck and went through the public school system from kindergarten through highschool. I graduated high school in 2004, my sister in 2014.

The schools suited me and many of my friends fine. Once your kids get to high school there are honors and AP classes, which are the ones I took. I can't really speak for the regular classes, but these honor and AP courses were pretty good and did a really good job at getting me ready for school. I died in AP statistics in high school but then easily aced freshmen year statistics in college!

Diversity is definitely touted by Teaneck, but it isn't an even mix of racial groups. My time I would guesstimate about 50% black, 25% spanish, 25% white/other. Looking back this was overall a good thing for me, being exposed to a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds, but it could be tough at times being a "minority" in a large group.

I am not sure how many elementary schools there are now, but they are based on location. There are two middle schools, and one high school. There are also charter school options I believe, which I unfortunately do not know anything about.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM

16 posts, read 26,751 times
Thanks so much for your response. Can you recall the name of the schools that you and your sister went to?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keda328 View Post
Thanks so much for your response. Can you recall the name of the schools that you and your sister went to?
Lowell for Elementary. Benjamin Franklin for middle school. The other middle school is Thomas Jefferson. And the high school is simply Teaneck High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey