Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,849,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Have the wiring checked before closing a deal.
This times a thousand. Have EVERYTHING checked before closing the deal. I cannot recommend a home inspector enough for any building purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 AM

122 posts, read 183,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I'm intrigued by your 1990's construction limit, why then? Construction materials? Better contractors? Fear of lead paint?

Regards, a guy who lives in a 1923 house and wouldn't want something from the 1990's.
Just an assumption that houses constructed after this time would be better designed, more modern and maybe a bit better. Maybe a mistaken assumption.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 AM

510 posts, read 497,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceseeker View Post
Just an assumption that houses constructed after this time would be better designed, more modern and maybe a bit better. Maybe a mistaken assumption.
I have a home built in the 20's. My in-laws have a home built in 2002 they bought a year ago. So far they dumped in $4000 on fixing the electrical, HVAC system and plumbing (all emergency repairs). Our house, absolutely $0 dollars on anything which was a do-or-die fix, unless you count us updating a few electrical sockets hear and there to a three prong plug, which we did ourselves. Point being: a well maintained older home may very well be a better investment than a newer home. So don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Keep in mind a HUGE chunk of NJ real estate was built prior to 1970. If this were Dallas or Atlanta, then you can easily find the newer homes, here, not so much.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:27 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,849,671 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd say it's more a personal choice than modern homes always being "better." A lot of it depends on the general contractor, but I never hear about a 1950's house having used cheap drywall that was soaked on the way over from China and caused mold in the walls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall

Older houses have issues, just as many as modern houses, but the issues are less about construction techniques or designs and more about settling and minor wall cracks. Older homes, for the most part, used better materials for most of the construction, better pine and wood that has had years to solidify.

I'd say worker safety has increased, speed of construction has increased, but I personally wouldn't say that there are a lot of modern homes that can beat out a nice Craftsman home that has been well maintained. For my money I'll take the one on the top any day of the week.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 AM

516 posts, read 1,002,654 times
Quote:
Many Asians have a thing for new construction or already completely updated construction because they don't want to renovate, they want move in condition and modern amenities (e.g. HVAC vs radiators and window units). Also, they like big eat in kitchens and living rooms--things that are common in newer construction layouts and harder to find in older construction. By old I mean like 1900-1920's construction. I have seen decent colonial/split layouts in 1960's+ but still nothing as preferable as in the 1990+ construction.

Given the OP's budget, I think he is hard pressed to find a train town, and maybe will do better with a bus town. Like Nutley? We saw plenty of very nice new construction there within OP's budget, although most lot sizes are less than 0.25 acre, maybe 50X100?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 AM
46H

1,648 posts, read 1,389,144 times
Unless they have been updated, any homes built in the 1990s are going to need major maintenance - HVAC, bathrooms, kitchens, driveways, roof. My sister bought a house built in the 1990s 10 years ago and she has spent a fortune on HVAC (both heat and AC completely replaced) and fixing the siding/insulation and various windows.

Find a town that meets your commuting and school desires and then find the house. Your commuting needs do not match up with too many houses built in the 1990s or later. Maybe you can find a cheaper, smaller house and update or expand it to fit your needs.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,600,884 times
I'd pay a premium for a brick house over a new stapled cardboard home.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:12 AM

462 posts, read 547,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post
Did you check south brunswick by any chance ? I heard lots of new construction in that area. Good schooling district .
Yes, but a very long commute

Old 02-22-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Folks - I am trying to find if I am priced out of NJ. I live with my wife and two year old and work in Jersey City. I am trying to buy a SFH in an environment within a 1 hour commute to Jersey City. If my job changes to NYC for some reason, I would also like to have the commute be reasonable (around 1:15 mts tops). So, it is essential to find a place within a decent commuting distance of a NJ transit station. I would like to live in a good school district (rating 8 or higher) with the property having a good lot size (good lot size defined as one where the houses are not so packed together that you see your neighbors kitchen if you open your window). I also want a decent sized backyard and preferably a not too old house (something in the 1990s or after). I am trying to keep mortgage and taxes not to exceed $3K per month. Assuming a $150k down payment, this translates to about a $550K house price that I should target.

I am having a really hard time finding the above. Over the last few weeks I have looked long and hard at several areas and this is what I am finding. Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? Can someone please help and advise as to whether I am priced out of NJ?

1. West Windsor - Close proximity to Princeton Junction but property taxes are insane and houses are old
2. Clark - Houses are too packed next to each other and too old
3. Cranford - Houses are too packed next to each other and too old
4. Scotch Plains - Nice area but I just saw a new construction (very close to the next house). It was $875k
5. North Edison - Very crowded
6. Montville - Takes 1.5 hours to reach my work
7. Suburbs with newer construction and beautiful houses (e.g. Mount Olive, Jackson etc.) - Too far away from work

What exactly are my options? Can folks please advise?
You will have to compromise, either go with an older house with a smaller yard or compromise on your commuting distance. Or your budget. We had the same dilemma a few years back, only I work in downtown NYC, we ended up in Staten Island, which could be an option for you as well. My friend commuted to JC for a number of years from the West Shore of SI, there is a bus that goes into downtown JC, it takes about 35 minutes, but you have to live near the bus since getting to it is a PIA from most parts of SI. You might have to compromise on the yard a bit, but there are some good schools in the area and it is the best commute of the areas in your budget.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Like Nutley? We saw plenty of very nice new construction there within OP's budget, although most lot sizes are less than 0.25 acre, maybe 50X100?
Nutley could work, heard the schools are not great there, but I don't know North Jersey well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey