Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 PM

64 posts, read 107,860 times

Advertisements

Hey, if I were choosing based on pool alone, Verona would win! SO and MpWD are so similar, the pool was one criteria and the last. I really need to look at tax rates again. I really thought the difference was more than negligible.

When looking at Montclair school rankings, i found that US News & World Report, schooldigger.com, and niche all seemed to rank the schools very highly, much higher than last year or the year before.

Not that it's the only way to consider schools, but it's something quantifiable.

Pool is last, but schools and safety are first I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Here are some recent rankings of Montclair HS:

Out of 378 or so HS in NJ:

US News & World Report

Niche

Schooldigger

NJ Monthly (latest list was 2014)

As I said earlier, it's not the whole story, but when people say Montclair schools aren't good, how can they argue against these stats? I've heard time and again to look in Glen Ridge and Verona - better schools with access to Montclair.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:00 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaMoves View Post
Here are some recent rankings of Montclair HS:

Out of 378 or so HS in NJ:

US News & World Report

Niche

Schooldigger

NJ Monthly (latest list was 2014)

As I said earlier, it's not the whole story, but when people say Montclair schools aren't good, how can they argue against these stats? I've heard time and again to look in Glen Ridge and Verona - better schools with access to Montclair.
I think the schools in Montclair, South Orange and Maplewood are ranking betteryear by year.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaMoves View Post
I have to admit I find it impressive. I've looked at rankings in years past, and I don't remember them being so high for Montclair.

I'm sure the Montclair schools are fine. The problem is you get people on this forum that provide commentary on subjects they have no clue about, and have no first hand knowledge. They just formulate opinions based on perception or some magazine ranking. You'll also hear people put down the West Orange schools. I just looked up WO high on Niche and it received an "A-" rating.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 AM

538 posts, read 732,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm sure the Montclair schools are fine. The problem is you get people on this forum that provide commentary on subjects they have no clue about, and have no first hand knowledge. They just formulate opinions based on perception or some magazine ranking. You'll also hear people put down the West Orange schools. I just looked up WO high on Niche and it received an "A-" rating.
City Data often trends toward being prejudiced against schools with a significant African-American population. That includes your places like Montclair, South Orange/Maplewood or West Orange, etc.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 AM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
City Data often trends toward being prejudiced against schools with a significant African-American population. That includes your places like Montclair, South Orange/Maplewood or West Orange, etc.
Bingo.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:23 AM

I think at this point, it's about how big of a high school would be a better fit.

Number of students per HS, according to schooldigger.com

Montclair - 2000
Columbia - 1841
Verona - 609
Glen Ridge - 845
West Orange - 2119

I hadn't mentioned Glen Ridge before because I think the tax rate is the highest among all of these towns. I didn't consider it, but maybe that's a mistake? Not sure if I want to subject my boys to a potentially high pressure situation if they will be the absolute youngest in their classes with Sept 30 and Oct 1 birthdays. I've heard GR is high pressure, so I thought it may not be a good fit.

The smaller schools seem more manageable, but the larger schools seem to have incredible opportunities - bigger music programs, more clubs, maybe more AP classes, etc.

We'd be coming from Ramapo Central in Rockland county (not East Ramapo). Suffern HS is 1520 students. If we're staying we'd make it work, so maybe a large new school might be OK too. Not sure though.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:29 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Glen Ridge is really nice but the lack of anything but residential taxes is what drives the costs so high. If you can afford it I don't think it's higher pressure, it just costs a ton and you'll want to move out right after they graduate.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:00 PM

538 posts, read 732,430 times
I'm not sure how much time you've actually spent in the area, but it's probably worth driving around these areas and getting a feel for them and seeing how you like it. HS stats are one thing, if your children are engaged they'll succeed at any of these schools. If you just don't like the town that you're in, you'll be miserable.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 AM

I've spent quite a bit of time at some of the towns we're discussing. We've only done some of the "highlights" of the towns though.

Montclair Art Museum, Edgemont Park, Brookdale, Church St and ate at Raymond's.

Verona Park, got ice cream at Towne Scoop, drove around some of the streets nearby.

We spent time in Maplewood downtown. Years ago we went to a First Night event had pizza, visited the library, etc. Walked through Memorial Park.

The only time we spent in West Orange is the Edison museum, and then had pizza at Star Tavern. Oh, and Turtleback Zoo!

I would like to hit some school tours and visit actual residential neighborhoods of where we might end up.

In Montclair, likely South End.
In Maplewood, the eastern side of town near Boyden or south of Springfield.

Can we talk about safety in these areas? I have to look beyond the police blotter and try to keep a cool head when thinking about it.

Affordable homes seem sprinkled throughout Verona, but I would like to stay east.

Maybe we should look at GR. I actually see homes $400K or under, but the taxes on homes of that price are crazy. I am finding that taxes are high in other towns, but for houses at that price range, some are actually under $10K.

I just love these areas of Essex County. Not that I am trying to recreate my childhood in Brooklyn, but now that my kids are getting older, I think I want them to be able to be able to get around on their own, and have better access to cultural offerings, easier access to the city, etc. I really regret buying up here in Rockland county for a plethora of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey