Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:24 AM

343 posts, read 615,043 times

Advertisements

This was a shocker, how much monthly commute cost will be from metuchen to newport jersey city. Is there a cheaper alternative that's just as fast except driving directly to newport?

Here is what i consider the fastest commute option:

1) Drive to metropark and park my car - $120 (monthly parking)
2) Take nj transit northeast corridor to newark penn station - $200 (monthy pass)
3) Transfer to wtc PATH - $110 (monthly pass)
4) Transfer to 33rd PATH at JSQ - $0
5) Get off at newport and walk to work - $0

So we looking at ~$450 before gas on top of a 1 hour commute minimum. Now i walk to work in 5 mins and cost $0.

Really like metuchen as a town, is there some alternative cheaper/faster way to get to newport jersey city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Two cheaper alternatives - carpool or change the job.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:57 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
That is too many transfers in my opinion. Any reason you can't drive between Metuchen and Newport and avoid public transportation completely?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
This was a shocker, how much monthly commute cost will be from metuchen to newport jersey city. Is there a cheaper alternative that's just as fast except driving directly to newport?

Here is what i consider the fastest commute option:

1) Drive to metropark and park my car - $120 (monthly parking)
2) Take nj transit northeast corridor to newark penn station - $200 (monthy pass)
3) Transfer to wtc PATH - $110 (monthly pass)
4) Transfer to 33rd PATH at JSQ - $0
5) Get off at newport and walk to work - $0

So we looking at ~$450 before gas on top of a 1 hour commute minimum. Now i walk to work in 5 mins and cost $0.

Really like metuchen as a town, is there some alternative cheaper/faster way to get to newport jersey city?
Why is your PATH ticket $110? The monthly ticket is $89 and the 40 trip pass is $84 (what most people buy).
I recommend driving to Harrison station, where parking is $150, but then you can get avoid the NJ Transit ticket. Driving beyond Harrison will get you a load of traffic.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 AM

59 posts, read 123,191 times
If you take the train from Metuchen Station, parking is only $115 per quarter. At least that saved $80 a month in parking. It's only one extra stop so I'd bet the difference in monthly to Newark Penn is negligible.

If you can work from home a day a week or two consistently, it wouldn't be worth it to buy tube monthly PATH pass either so that may save you a few bucks, but nothing serious.

Apart from that, not much else. Pretty much anywhere in the suburbs though you're looking at train to PATH in order to get to Newport.

Does your company offer any transit benefit? These things always make commutes easier to swallow.

Bus would be slow and inconvenient. So id stay away from that.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:27 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
That is too many transfers in my opinion. Any reason you can't drive between Metuchen and Newport and avoid public transportation completely?
One of the reasons might be parking, which is very expensive in Newport

Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Might not the employer pay for parking though? If so, I think the OP should drive the whole way. I would agree that if one lives in Metuchen that they should take the Metuchen train instead of Metropark. Metuchen is small, and one could probably walk to the train from anywhere in town in 15 minutes or less and forgo train station parking altogether.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:09 AM

343 posts, read 615,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
parking is about $250 at newport, i just dont like to drive for daily commute. Did the drive from bayonne to newport for a year and absolutely hated it - in the morning by the time you get in you already tired, in the evening after a long day still need to drive 30 min home.

they really need to invent teleportation!

Old 02-29-2016, 11:16 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
parking is about $250 at newport, i just dont like to drive for daily commute. Did the drive from bayonne to newport for a year and absolutely hated it - in the morning by the time you get in you already tired, in the evening after a long day still need to drive 30 min home.

they really need to invent teleportation!
I can't imagine that is more tiring than driving to a train station and then having to transfer between 3 separate trains. You're not going to get any rest on the train doing that.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

702 posts, read 540,144 times
Yeah, I'd drive to Newark Penn or Harrison. Rail is just not a good option here. Does anyone know when the skyway is supposed to open up again? Website says 2016, when that opens, you might just be better off driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey