U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2008, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,211 times

Advertisements

I live in New york. & went to an estate sale in kennilworth NJ. One side of the street said not to park from the sign to the corner. The other side of the street had no signs, no yellow curb. other cars were parked so also parked near the corner but far enough away. I found a ticket saying that I parked within 50 feet from the stop sign. How is someone from another state supposed to know that if there is no sign. Should I pay the ticket or fight it? Thanks for a reply-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM

317 posts, read 855,447 times
Default fight it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESTATEGIRL View Post
I live in New york. & went to an estate sale in kennilworth NJ. One side of the street said not to park from the sign to the corner. The other side of the street had no signs, no yellow curb. other cars were parked so also parked near the corner but far enough away. I found a ticket saying that I parked within 50 feet from the stop sign. How is someone from another state supposed to know that if there is no sign. Should I pay the ticket or fight it? Thanks for a reply-
fight it , take pictures if you can with digital camera , find out how much the ticket is . If it will cost you more in taking a day off from work then to pay the ticket then pay the ticket.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 458,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESTATEGIRL View Post
if you fight it you will lose, the judge will say ignorance of the law is no excuse

Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,811,524 times
I'm 99% sure that the same law is in effect in NY, so I doubt pleading ignorance will fly. Pay it and move on- it'd be far cheaper than wasting time in court.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm 99% sure that the same law is in effect in NY, so I doubt pleading ignorance will fly. Pay it and move on- it'd be far cheaper than wasting time in court.
it might exist in NY but it is rarely enforced, especially in NYC

Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,811,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it might exist in NY but it is rarely enforced, especially in NYC
It's rarely enforced in NJ either, but that's as irrelevant as pleading ignorance. We had a stop sign in front of our house, and my a-hole neighbor parked less that 15' from it practically every night (many nights with the car facing the wrong way) and never got a ticket, so I'm fully aware that it's never enforced.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's rarely enforced in NJ either, but that's as irrelevant as pleading ignorance. We had a stop sign in front of our house, and my a-hole neighbor parked less that 15' from it practically every night (many nights with the car facing the wrong way) and never got a ticket, so I'm fully aware that it's never enforced.
that depends on the town, in some towns they ignore the laws and where I lived they'd unleash the swat team on that illegal parker

Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,147,572 times
Just remember if and when you fight a ticket(not guilty) and you lose you are now responsible for the court costs. So now you will be paying the judges salary also LOL. I wouldn't waste my time sitting in court for 4 hours for a 42 dollar fine. There is no points involved. In my town, really city, most of the people that fight PARKING tickets usually with a couple of photos from all directions will usually win because they will not subpoena the officer to court on a parking ticket. When I get a parking ticket I'm guilty of it so I pay my fine and I move on. I park a little further the next time. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 158,874 times
Default How much is the court fee?

Just wondering, how much is the additonal court fee I have pay if I plead non-guilty and lose?

I have to make a similar decison.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey