Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 PM

239 posts, read 467,726 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies that have reasonable premiums. Insurance in New Jersey has always been high but ever since Sandy premiums continue to go up even for those of us that wheren't affected and never had a claim. I know that if you bundle auto and homeowner's you can also save. I am open to any suggestions you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 06:28 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
If you are eligible for coverage by NJM Insurance, getting both your car coverage and your home coverage from them would be your best bet.

I have had NJM insurance on my car for over a decade, and my premium has decreased twice over the past couple of years. I tried to get home coverage from them, but because they are so incredibly risk-averse, they rejected me for homeowner's insurance because there is a farm directly in back of my property. I have no idea why the presence of a farm makes me a higher-than-average risk, but NJM thinks so, and their decision is final.

For my home coverage, I have used Mercer Insurance for over a decade, and despite getting a payout from them of over $8k for Hurricane Sandy damage, my rates have stayed relatively stable. The year after the payout, there was no rate increase at all, and my total increase over the past two years is ~15%. While I would prefer NJM, I am very satisfied with the service provided by Mercer Insurance and with their rates.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 PM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
new jersey manufacturers, njm is the way to go if you qualify.
auto and homeowners together, even better.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Expensive? I think it's pretty cheap. I want to say mine is about $450/yr for a house worth about $450k. I've heard of premiums in other states in the thousands. I have NJM. My premium has gone up bc of Sandy even though I had no damage nor claims.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM

789 posts, read 702,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Expensive? I think it's pretty cheap. I want to say mine is about $450/yr for a house worth about $450k. I've heard of premiums in other states in the thousands. I have NJM. My premium has gone up bc of Sandy even though I had no damage nor claims.
I'm in "escape from NY" mode in the boroughs. Looking at NJ/CT/LI for the escape. I pay just under $3k for a 2fam house worth about $700k-$800k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey