Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:14 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times

Advertisements

Where was the urgency in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:14 PM

52 posts, read 85,333 times
39:4–97.2 Driving in an unsafe manner (points only for third or subsequent offense within five years of most recent 39:4-97.2 conviction)

Old 03-08-2016, 12:32 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy761 View Post
The insurance company asks for any moving violations , this is not a moving violation.
I have had insurance ask me about these things which they had already seen on file.
In my case I think I told them my dog peed on the homework or something like I told them, it wasn't me, I wasn't driving, car was parked, any or all the above and they didn't bother me any further since they wanted my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy761 View Post
39:4–97.2 Driving in an unsafe manner (points only for third or subsequent offense within five years of most recent 39:4-97.2 conviction)
Yep so you can can 2 "zero pointers within 5 years, a 3rd dings you with 4 points, negating its usefulness.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,511 times
so why didn't you just slow down more until he passed you? Just reduce your speed until the distance between you makes you feel comfortable. Trust me, he will pass. It makes no sense what you did

The guy behind you was going too fast and was on your butt, so your solution was to go really fast and pass some people? The guy would still be behind you sooner or later.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:00 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,169,267 times
I don't care if someone is driving really fast behind me. If they cannot wait, they are feel free to move to the next lanes and cut there.

Just because they are driving fast, it doesn't mean they have the right of way. Yes, there are A-hole think you need to move out of their way because they are driving fast.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM

351 posts, read 481,805 times
It's just common courtesy and safer for the offending individual to move over.

Imagine someone going 65 on a 4 lane highway in the passing lane with no cars in front of her. Everybody would be furious and making many unnecessary lane changes to get past this heedless driver. The principle is the same for somebody going 75-80. Just because you may think this is the appropriate speed you are comfortable driving at, it does not apply to all the drivers behind you. One guy may feel 85-90 is better... why mess around at these high speeds? If you want someone to move over for you, you should do the same.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glojin View Post
Hello,

If I explain the situation...
I was on the second lane out of 4 going around 70 miles on a 65 mile zone. Everyone was going on that pace but I wanted to pass a car that seemed way close to me because I was going "too slow" when I was going 65-70 miles (I got scared). So I moved to the passing lane sped, to pass couple cars and switche lanes. However, the cop got a record of my speed when I was on the passing lane trying to pass couple cars (his gun said 82). I thought I was okay because he did not follow me until 2-3 mins later. Did not put on his siren for couple minutes too. He actually stopped me after I switched lane twice and was driving for couple minutes after I slowed down. As soon as I switched lane, I was only going 65-70 mi too... He did not give me a time for explanation, just asked for my license and info, made a comment "whats the rush for?" gave me a ticket and left.

I received a 15 mi speeding ticket with 4 points!
I never received a ticket before and have a clean record
I do not mind paying the speed ticket, but its the 4 points I am worried about
I am also aware, I can't go against his speed gun...

I just read online that lawyers can deal with the prosecutor to lessen the charges.... but lawyers are so expensive plus the ticket will be a big expense for a full time college student who lives on her own with her own earning...

Is there a way I can do that on my own? Is getting a lawyer the smartest idea?
(I am aware that insurance company might increase my insurance because of the points)
I am desperate for help here...
Ask the prosecutor if you can plea to "impeding the flow of traffic". It's zero points and like $45. He probably won't give it to you and will want to strangle you for knowing about that ticket, but give it a shot. I've gotten it, but I am smarter than the average bear.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Ask the prosecutor if you can plea to "impeding the flow of traffic". It's zero points and like $45. He probably won't give it to you and will want to strangle you for knowing about that ticket, but give it a shot. I've gotten it, but I am smarter than the average bear.
I have gotten that one too, maybe twice, one time I knew the prosecutor and another time I walked in late, was working late, they where all ready to shut down, I asked for it, the prosecutor said the judge might not go for it but he asked, judge said ok let do it so we can get outahere, just luck. Most of the time they want to hit you with that $485 one and wont offer the cheaper one.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
The OP was a funny read- lots and lots of words to say "I was going 82 in a 65 and got a ticket". The rest doesn't matter.

But it looks like this one is solved- go to court and pay money to reduce the points. No lawyer needed (and no need to tell your sob story to the judge).

Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I have gotten that one too, maybe twice, one time I knew the prosecutor and another time I walked in late, was working late, they where all ready to shut down, I asked for it, the prosecutor said the judge might not go for it but he asked, judge said ok let do it so we can get outahere, just luck. Most of the time they want to hit you with that $485 one and wont offer the cheaper one.
Funny story- I am in court and a women pleads to Unsafe Driving because she wanted no points. The judge tells her the fine and court costs and she flips, "this is so expensive. It isn't fair." The judge says, "you can thank your Democrat Governor for the costs of this ticket. I am just giving you what you voted for."

Priceless. I love saying the same thing when I hear my neighbors complain about their property taxes, "Stop, you voted for this. Be happy. You got what you voted for."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: